New laws in Iceland: I need manual brakes

It probably wouldn’t be very hard to develop precision hanger compatible Berg or similar large diameter pulleys, with a nice internal surface for a compact drum brake unit. Moon 60T pulleys are actually pretty much perfect for that, just have to make the drum brake mechanism.

2 Likes

I am sure it would work just fine but the whole purpose of an independent mechanical brake is that it will work regardless of what the electrical system does.

5 Likes

@Kaly was looking into mechanical braking I think?

2 Likes

Continuing the drum brake idea, take a 72T pulley, machine the inner diameter to ~80mm and fit drum brake pads and mechanism inside. Pads are easily available in 80mm size: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32610499398.html

There are probably smaller diameter pads available as well.

We could run a cable to a foot pedal mechanism that would sit on top of the rear truck for example.

2 Likes

We talking about a emergency brake not a use all the time disk brake.

3d printed mudguard you stamp on cheep dirty solutions are some times a grate solution. That big motor is better than a disk more controllable (until we get to super low speeds). We talking about ticking a box to comply with local law that is in direct opposition to how a devise works. You wouldn’t were a parachute :parachute: every time you got on a aeroplane :airplane: because easy jet said there saving costs and just throwing pasangeres out at there destination and not bothering with landings any more.

Disk brakes are OTT adds complication and risks that are not needed

4 Likes

do you think its possible to fit the magura brakes and the mudguards ? kinda not willing to give up on the mudguards tbh, they do a great job

1 Like

I would need to check that.

1 Like

I both like the idea of it, and have this image on my mind of a guy flying far away from his board

1 Like

I’m sure you can make a nice system based on this.
Like a mudguard with some cushioning in the inside and mounted on some sort of slide with a slring so it doesn’t move out of the axis when you use it

I think it’s sketchy too but I don’t really like the idea of a cable dangling around me while riding on the road so I think foot operated is the only solution in my mind.

1 Like

Coleman slide?

1 Like

I think faradaymotion had some rotor brakes on their hyperboard.

3 Likes