New Lacroix Model -> Nazare

Preach!

1 Like

I double checked, they did it in 2017 already, meh

Shame, we coulda shaved @Sender and put him forward for casting

2 Likes

Im gonna sneak a banjo ringtone on to his phone next time I see him :slight_smile:

3 Likes

ā€˜dualing banjosā€™ is the theme, itā€™s great I agree and everyone recognises

1 Like

I made a spreadsheet when I was looking at either 10S5P or 12S4Pā€¦ Trying hard to decide what to go with. 10S won out on almost every category.

5 Likes

Yeah exactly. I donā€™t understand why people have been pushing for 12S cells. Hope people have some logical/mathematical explanation than just saying current is less(which doesnā€™t say much by itself)

Of course on the motor side the efficiency is clear. Given the same gearing and same top speed, a 10S battery need to have a lower KV motor than when compared to 12S. But the lower KV motor will result in higher ohmic losses.

6 Likes

Because 12S got more of dat go juice.

I ride 10S & 12S carvers with a nearly identical gearing/wheel setup. The 12S at mid-low battery feels like the 10S at full charge.

I can and do run the numbers, but I can say from first hand riding experience- when youā€™re looking at larger boards like this with a 4:1~ gear ration and 175-200mm tires, 12S sorta just hits the sweet spot. The throttle/speed curve response is just a lot more snappy for this style of build.

6 Likes

Obviously! If you use the same motor and same gearing and then compare 10S vs 12S, 12S will obviously beat 10S because 1. It can pump current into the motors 2. You can achieve higher speed.

Whatā€™s a useful comparison is comparing 10S and 12S setup with motors with KV matched to the number of cells or an appropriate gearing ratio or both. The snappiness is just the torque speed combo which can be achieved in either setup with the right choice of KV.

6 Likes

Totally understand that. I guess what Iā€™m saying is that at a certain point 10S starts to feel inadequate when youā€™ve ridden 12S setups and have the choice with a new build. I always consider all factors in my builds.

I can say that for me personally, a 10S 190KV 4:1 Carver on 8" wheels doesnā€™t have the speed to satisfy my riding needs at this point. 12S is the only option for me if Iā€™m looking at building a new board of this style.

I think Ernesto hit quite the sweet spot with the Kaly 2.0+ configuration of 12S/190kv/4:1/200mm. They top out around 44mph which is what Iā€™d expect of a board at that level.

8 Likes

Going 12S isnā€™t much of a cost jump either. Might as well take the extra juice.

Plus you canā€™t have a beast of a board and be running 10S. lol

If they put 10S on this boardā€¦ They wouldnā€™t hear the end of itā€¦

5 Likes

Right, if you already have a setup that no longer excites you, then the easiest thing to do is to bump up cells/voltage.

The thing is, when you are building a board from scratch. 12S doesnā€™t offer any extra juice per se. If you use the same number of cells in your pack, the juice content is the same.

You are kinda right. If you are going to consume too many watts that at 10S, the current is too much for VESC to handle then yes, you go with 12S battery, but otherwise you can safely go with 10S.

7 Likes

This times 10.

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised this photo did not make it here.

This needs too happen

18 Likes

I have to agree. Baja hasnā€™t been ridden all week cos I cbf doing the things that need to be done.

1 Like

Iā€™d rock that.

1 Like

The lasy or the suit?

2 Likes

About 12S being the sweet spotā€¦ (13-14S more realistically being the ā€œceilingā€) 12S is more conservatively the most reasonable ceiling.

Is 12S really the sweet spot? Or is it just the current ceiling, making it the ideal sweet spot? Will all these FOCers or something else change the game when 20-24S can be the new top end in terms of voltage?

At that point Iā€™d be begging for 48+t instead of 32t flywheel pulleys or sub 50kv DDs.

9 Likes

From a purely electrical design standpoint, we want to trend to higher voltage and build the rest of the drivetrain around that. Thereā€™s a reason ebikes and other PEVs, and full EVs run higher voltage. Curious to see what the sweet spot ends up being as we progress the tech.

From a production board design standpoint, 12S is a natural progression and hopefully a standard, but by no means a ceiling.

8 Likes

Tesla used 680V for a brushless motor coolant pumpā€¦so itā€™s definitely possible to go hella high voltage with this stuff

2 Likes

But probably not feasible, or safe, at eboard scale.

4 Likes