New HW from the focbox team.

even if the item is encased in the pot? :thinking:
i havenā€™t work with enough epoxy to know which substances remove them easiest

1 Like

These guys do it pretty well :joy:

9 Likes

2 Likes

Im fairly sure the storm-core 60D can run longer without thermal throttle whilst driving 2 motors at 120A each

7 Likes

Taking bets on what components he managed to cheap out or completely remove?

Also why is the title ā€œā€¦the focbox teamā€? Is anyone besides budget harry potter on that sinking ship?

12 Likes

-Potter

-IP lawyer

-Wife (emotional support)

-the mailman

15 Likes

-china

6 Likes

Heā€™s literally dropshipping straight off china lol

4 Likes

It should really say from potter or something lol

4 Likes

ā€œā€¦low cost high performance alternativeā€¦ā€

Waitā€¦what?
Those two things are mutually exclusive. Well, unless youā€™re suffering from marketing delusions.

11 Likes

6 Likes

The unity uses fet clusters it makes it more prone to fet failure. Potting it in epoxy just means there is no chance of replacing these fets. I guess there is just so much you can do without the design files, and no engineering skills.

6 Likes

Certainly not trying to defend Unity here but paralleling FETs is a standard method of dividing the current up and reducing the amount of current each FET needs to handle.

Is the Unity not doing this properly? Not using individual gate resistors? Or are you saying that fewer components = more reliable design?

I completely agree with your potting statementā€¦unrepairable now unless itā€™s some kind of soft compound. Which would still be a total PITA to remove the potting, repair, and re-pot the board.

7 Likes

Not if you abuse the components left by removing the filtering and capacitors or resistors

Yes it will work but will also brake mutch quicker.

3 Likes

LOLā€¦agreed!

1 Like

I think its a focbox unity with less features and lower price. Not a more advanced version

6 Likes

It appears potted in a metal heatsink. It doesnā€™t appear like it comes stock with a bluetooth adapter, but itā€™s hard to see.

2 Likes

Am wondering what he could strip out.

AS switch
Uart
Batery voltage port
Bluetooth modul
Heat sink

Can I also point out itā€™s running at 60amps a side is this sutch a huge archenemt for ESC?

His focbox team is him and the factory in China

4 Likes

he said its about 25% cheaper. i would guess that removing the Bluetooth, silicone case, xt90s and mr60 would probably account for the savings on the BOM.

3 Likes

Bet he eliminated half of the power stage fets.
I donā€™t see any indicator LEDā€™s either.

2 Likes