New Flipsky vx4 IS TRASH (Dangerous!!!) [READ COMPLETELY]

hey, i’m never not thinking of dicks

watch this

5 Likes

Dang that sux. I was really hoping they would be good

1 Like

Esk8 and dicks have a long history.

I digress, and I swear I’m not a flipsky shill, any chance that when routing the antenna to being external, you bent and damaged the antenna ?

7 Likes

just sayin :eyes:

16 Likes

There is no antenna, it’s part of the PCB. The entire receiver is outside of the carbon fiber and enclosed in its own enclosure.

4 Likes

i see your point

1 Like

you can see the antenna circled. That blue wire is for battery telemetry.

5 Likes

Man, I’m sorry you got flipskied. Trying to be optimistic, I only use one remote period after a hx of similar shenanigans.

5 Likes

that ufl connector within the red circlecan be used to attach a 2.4GHZ antenna for better signal

you can use a whip, orrr dipole, orrr patch

4 Likes

ooooooooohhhhh, i see it now! where can i get that antenna from? Can you post an amazon link plz? also, is it possible that other wires inside the case are messing with the signal, like running too close to the motor wires?

1 Like

Beware, you’ll have to change a tiny resistor to switch from the internal to an external antenna! As per the datasheet:

I’m surprised you’re having signal issues, since I’m using the same module on my own remote and it’s been flawless. However, there’s quite a few ways they could have fucked it up:

• Implementing pairing the “naive” way with the LoRa syncword that according to the manufacturer could generate reduced sensitivity with certain values.
  • Poor configuration (tx power, bandwidth, codification rate)
  • Poor power supply
  • Too high TM rate (LoRa is not very high bandwidth)

At any rate, it’s kinda hard to lose signal on these modules at such short ranges, I would disassemble the remote and verify every solder joint is fine, as I have several VX1 remotes with flaky potentiometers and/or bad LiPo cells and at first I thought it was signal issues too. Tagging @Lee_Wright that has had success with VX1 Pros (that are mostly the same internally) and maybe has some more insight.

10 Likes

amazon doesn’t seem to have em but i’d suggest lookin at an RC store/website, a local shop might even have one

assuming they’re using 2.4GHz
it could be that or (doubt it but it’s possible) 900MHz (815 for EU people)

1 Like

2.4 for sure!

there’s no way i’m about to mess with that resistor, so, so much for that idea, actually Flipsky e-mailed me back and suggested that the resistor may be loose. What remote do you use that uses the same receiver? In those bullet points you listed, is there anything i can do as a user to remedy that, or are those attributes baked into the product?

2 Likes

I see that using the antenna involves modding the receiver. I’m not the guy for that job lol.

Yeah, if that resistor is lose you are basically running without an antenna at all, which is pretty bad. Unfortunately all the points I mentioned are baked inside the FW that I don’t think we are able to easily change (and we don’t have the source for). It’s all guesswork anyway, there’s a million other things that could be happening…I’m just surprised since I’m getting stellar RF performance from similar hardware. This is the remote I’m talking about (literally my own :rofl:):

Still a WIP!

3 Likes

… So Flipsky reached out to me and we discussed the issue. They think it may be a loose receiver resistor and they would like me to return the remote and receiver so they can investigate. They will also be sending me a new set. Am i stupid for giving this another try? Maybe, but I do understand that there can be defective products and I was SUPER hot when I made this post. When I get the new set, I plan on doing a lot of miles in an un populated area before I return to my urban rides. I also plan to follow up with flipsky to see what the deal is with this bad remote and keep this thread updated.

18 Likes

Please do.

You’re invested in it now, so i don’t think you’re stupid to try again. You’re doing the community a favour! Just don’t die :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

I hope for a positive outcome all around. I’ve had a lot of bad experiences with other esk8 products and companies, and I generally keep it to myself, but on this occasion, I had to speak out, but I hope that Flipsky will redeem its self and I can say positive things about them.

2 Likes

I wish you the best with it, and i’m gonna refrain from any further comments as they wouldn’t be conducive.

I do look forward to hearing about your further experience tho.

3 Likes