New DIY Build, looking for recommendations/critiques!

Stitching a new board together with some old parts, some new parts. Already have a 10s3p pack with dual TB 6374s and built my own Firefly remote, just looking into a new VESC/possibly new enclosure, anyone have any recommendations? Looking into the Stormcore 60D, especially due to the built in anti-spark and a couple other things. Also, anyone have any enclosure recommendations? Thanks for the help in advance :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mainly looking for thoughts on the 60D, I’ve looked around but can’t find the main forum consensus on its reliability and if it is the true successor to the Unity.

The battery looks underpowered for the motors you have and esc you’re considering.
The stormcore seems reliable so far. You would have very likely heard on this forum of any glaring issues with it.

I personally like the hummie deck with bigben’s enclosure. Nice and sleek, stable, top class

2 Likes

Tell us more about this. Who made it, what cells?

The build starts with the battery.

2 Likes

Samsung 30Q, made by MBoards (lol)

1 Like

Get a new battery

3 Likes

The most meaningful 14 chars I’ve ever seen.

5 Likes

Heat shrink is cheap to replace. Open it and make sure you’re not building a bomb. Then ask a real builder to make a new one when you find all the flaws in this one

3 Likes

Why do all the people looking for advice buy an mboards battery first and only then ask for advice? :joy:

6 Likes

Clearly Mike Beard is doing something right, because I notice that also.

That might be the only thing he’s doing right.

@kook

5 Likes

yikes

:shushing_face:

1 Like

Honestly, I bought the battery a long time ago before I delved deep into the rabbit hole and fully committed and realized MBoards is shit lol. Originally, me and my engineer brother were going to make our own battery, and we did have a 10s2p battery functioning even though we didn’t have a spot welder

2 Likes

Yeah, he does have good marketing on youtube and that’s the first place I looked when I first got into esk8 so I ended up buying from him. I have since then had enough bad experiences with his products to boycott his store and never buy anything from there again lol

2 Likes

Also question if anyone knows the answer to this, the receiver on my firefly remote goes to the UART port, and is a 7 pin JST connector, wired only to use RX and TX pins on the ESC, but the stormcore 60d’s UART port is 8 pin. Will I still be able to use the 7 pin connector in an 8 pin port? Picture for reference:

pinging smart people @b264 @kook

if the JSTs are the correct pitch sure you can use a 7 pin in an 8 pin slot, just make sure all your pins are aligned correctly

1 Like

Thanks! Realized I need to rewire that JST connector because the RX and TX wires aren’t aligned to the right pin output lol

1 Like

it’s easy-peasy to repin the connector…
gently flip up that plastic piece and gently pull the wire out… then reinsert into correct position…

1 Like

Right! Was planning on doing that tonight, hopefully all goes well, planning on ordering a 60D tonight as well

1 Like

i’ve only heard of firefly… and have zero knowledge of it’s pin-outs or wiring… but how is your receiver getting power?

usually a UART device has TX-RX power and ground…

It also connects via a 3 pin servo input on the ESC and has a +5V, PPM, and ground pin out on that servo connector

2 Likes