New cloudwheel 165r Rovers

Looks like cloudwheel and backfire are bringing out a new wheel option, for the not yet released hammer s. Will be interesting to see how these perform.

If we’re lucky they’ll fit standard 3.75 rims (trampa, evolve, TB)

8 Likes

Do you know where the backfire connection was announced? I only found a reddit thread but they’re polished promo pics

I also searched for the 165mms a month or so ago when I first heard about them and again couldn’t find anything other than a vague Facebook post from iwonder

Just branding on the side like they have with regular cloudwheels for other brands afaik.

1 Like

I heard it has about the same range as cloud 120s maybe a little less. Amazing range for such a big wheel. but ride feel is much harder than pneumatic wheels. And those things are quite heavy.

1 Like
4 Likes

Great video. These fit into an interesting niche. They don’t seem to provide the same comfy shock-absorption or offroad ability of pneumies, but they give street boards a larger dia at better range with no maintenance required. Could be fun.

1 Like

It will be interesting to try these. For commuting I prefer solid tires since you can get flats.

1 Like

I hope they come out with a drive wheel that plays nicely with 8mm non-dkp axles, but that seems unlikely.

8mm dkp axle = 8mm regular axle, no?

Dkp’s typically use 8mm axles with 608 skate bearing in the wheel but have a stepped 10mm axle for the wheel pulley bearing.

They also require extra length. For example, you can stick a 608 bearing in evolve pulleys, but the wheel/pulley combo will be too wide for a tb218 axle.

1 Like

grafik

1 Like

That’s just a short axel vs an extended, stepped axel. Esk8 specific dkp’s might tend to use those, but it’s not specifically a dkp axel.

Most high end esk8 specific trucks have either extended/stepped, or removable axels.
Boardnamics, and moon, both offer extended/stepped axels. Torqueboard trucks have a step, but are still too damn short.

1 Like