New build won't go over 5mph

Oh fuck, I thought you were the other dude. My bad. Umm. But @kchxaz if it’s saying invalid port, I still wouldn’t rule out that possibility. There’s definitely a connection issue there. Maybe your sensor cables are in the wrong port? Stupid question, are all your motors going the right way? Can you show us a picture of your connections?

:point_up_2:

1 Like

@kchxaz i took out my board for ya

I did update the firmware reliably. When I was able to connect through the pc I was being told it was updated when it wasn’t. It was only after using the app that it now keeps the firmware update and allows the wizards to go through the setup process completely. BUT, I can’t check the amp cutoff value with it, or rather maybe it’s there I just cant find it.

Top menu can slide left and right (blue arrow)
Go to motor CFG
Second drop-down menu (yellow arrow)
You’ll have all the current settings there

Where did you buy this battery?

We need to know the battery setting you have programmed the esc’s with per esc.

If you bought the battery from a chinese seller it is very likely discharging through a BMS, and the BMS is cutting the current due to the max rating being exceeded.

Edit* also updating to the newest firmware is usually the worst way to fix problems. When an esc is designed and tested on 3.61 or whatever it may be, may not have the same functionality on the newest firmware.

4 Likes

I believe it’s an LLT and it’s bypassed. He hasn’t put in any settings as he didn’t find the menu for em

1 Like

stand by guys, trying to get this screenshot posted

1 Like

So around 44a per esc

Battery? (Scroll further down)

Bought battery through amazon US seller who used name brand batteries (don’t recall which one). It is possible the BMS is a shitty one it looks to be rather small in dimensions from what I can see pushing up through the shrink wrap. I am saving my LLT BMS’s for my 12s batteries on my other 2WD board

1 Like

Okay, what type of cells that 10S4P is made with is important. Given that it’s 10AH, I would drastically lower your expectations for this board. I’m expecting under 10 miles of range and serious voltage sag

The battery type will make a huge difference in how many amps you can pull. Realistically, I’m gonna guess you’re only going to be able to throw 10 battery amps at each vesc max.

Lol there’s your problem. Battery current max is set to 99 on all 4 vescs. That needs to be 10-15 each. And again, we need to know more about the battery before setting that.

Go back to the PC, try another cable and get the vescs responding to the vesc app on the pc

3 Likes

Did you bypass the BMS or is it discharging through the bms?

Also the battery amps are insane, probably need to be set at 10 or 15 per ESC. you’re definitly overdrawn something if all 4 ESC’s are set to 99A battery.

1 Like

bwhal602

Ok, I’ll try that. But when I used the cables that came with the VESC’s they gave the same no connection error. Perhaps I will load VESC tool onto my desktop and give that a try.

The BMS is the stock one that came with it. I’ve no doubt it is a cheap chinese POS. Perhaps I will install my remaining LLT BMS on it after all.

If the Amp cutoff is set too high wouldn’t that burn up the VESC before it cutoff the current (as opposed to set to low it would trip before you wanted it to)?

2 Likes

Your bms is probably cuting off due to you asking to pull a total of 396amps from it

6 Likes

You can burn a vesc if asked current is given and the vesc can’t take it. You cut a battery if the vesc asks for it but the battery bms doesn’t allow it. You burn both if the vesc asks for it, the bms allows it, and both were not speced for it

Again that depends. Let’s start over.

List all the specs of your board that you know
We need to know who built the battery, what cells it’s built with and what BMS is in it (and how it’s wired). That’s super important.
Given that it’s 10AH, we know they are not 30q cells. In the 2500mah per cell range, there are cells with 10-20 amp max each ratings.

What I expect is that you have a 10S4P with a BMS wired for discharge and you’re putting it into safety mode trying to draw more amps then it’s rated for. Especially since you’re trying to pull 99x4 amps based on the current vesc settings.

I have 10 micro usb cables that have worked inconsistently for different vescs. Some don’t connect, some connect but lose connection to can devices etc. I always do setup at the desktop when I can.
You’re trying to get 4 vescs to talk to each other in perfect unison. Firmware and settings are super important for that.
We don’t even know if your remote is setup properly.
Get all the info you can so we can recommend parameters and get the vescs working and updated through your PC. Then we can proceeed. Until then, there’s too many variables for any of us to start offering solutions

2 Likes

Lowering the amps to 15 now the board cuts off while it is upside down where as before it did not.

SO, that says it’s definitely a current issue. Next thing to inspect might be the BMS?

I don’t not recall the name brand of the battery. It seems to me they were name brand but not samsung. Started with an “I” I believe. Why is 10 Ah a problem? I had a 10s3p battery with 30q’s that was rated 7 or 7.5. My 12s5p 30q’s rate at 15 Ah. So 10 seems reasonable

1 Like

It wasn’t INR1865025R?

1 Like