New build won't go over 5mph

Then make sure that you complain. Sounds dumb, but put it this way. You’re paying to be satisfied with Amazon’s services. Usually, employees will do everything they can to record you say “thankyou this was great” at the end of the phone call

3 Likes

@bwahl602 - your username has 602 in it. You don’t happen to be from the Phoenix area do you (that’s the area code for metro PHX)?

Philly

Well, if you find your way out to the Valley of the Sun HMU, I believe I owe you a beer. Least I can do for all your useful feedback.

And thanks to every one else as well. If any of you are out this way…same applies.

1 Like

Not a problem. Good luck with the battery return. Amongst myself, there are multiple people here who build batteries and the pricing varies but is very fair. The work is reliable and that way you’ll be able to discuss the boards capabilities and decide on the right cells and capacity for what it’s going into.

Feel free to create a build thread and ask some of us to look over what you’re getting into if you’re at all not confident about what you’re getting.

Glad it’s working again albeit slow.

If you can connect the VESC Android app with bluetooth, you are golden.

Connect your 'droid to a wifi network that your laptop or desktop is also connected to. Go to the right tab “Developer” and select “Run TCP Server” on the default port. Then on your laptop/desktop, select “Connection”, select the “TCP” tab and click the “Connect” button

Now program it from a real computer with a mouse.

2 Likes

It will connect but I still get the “can not read firmware version” error.

In the past this has usually indicated that I needed to activate canbus. Not this time. In both configurations, both activated and not activated, I get the firmware error. Currently on 5.1 with latest VESC tool (2.15 or something?).

Might just be a read error. I’ve had that happen. Possibly power cycle esc you’re trying to connect to. Fixes it when it happens to me

Oh oh oh. Plug into each vesc individually. Don’t adjust over can.

Update each vesc individually by plugging directly into each. Then proceed to motor settings

I think he’s referring to the TCP method

1 Like

That I’m afraid is going to be a problem. When the BT rx/tx is plugged into a certain VESC it works just fine. When plugged in to the other, it won’t connect. This happens with both pairs, which I find a very strange coincidence.

Change the “App Settings” > “General” > “App to Use” on each ESC to “PPM and UART”

If UART is not selected then it will not connect via bluetooth.

1 Like

Flash - correct, connection via TCP did not connect: Got “can not read firmware” error. This happens whether I’m using canbus or not.

b - changing PPM & UART to UART only didn’t have any effect. The other VESC’s were set up with the same PPM/UART option but their ports worked.

I can tell the phone is connecting to the pc but the pc isn’t connecting with the VESC’s

FYI - I do not have the phone app connected to the BT directly while connecting through TCP, although when I do try that I still get the same result.

The 'droid app needs to be connected to the VESC via bluetooth successfully first. Then you can start a TCP connection to the computer.

I really think we need to connect via PC. Especially since we’re still not sure the other vescs aren’t still on FW 3.6 or whatever he started at

Brian, since the BT is disabled currently, how’s he gonna turn it on? Unless he can write the change via can via BT

1 Like

Yeah he will have to try to get bluetooth working by programming it via CAN

But it’s a slippery slope with no wired connection available. If you change the wrong thing and loose CAN and Bluetooth access then it’s effectively bricked until a wired connection is possible again.

Keep them all on “PPM and UART”, give them all different IDs

1 Like

Seriously, change PCs, grab a different cable. Whatever. Plug into each vesc individually.
Could’ve troubleshot that and been done this 8 times over by now.
Too many things to go wrong with all this packet forwarding. BT should be your last resort right now in initial setup

3 Likes

is it possible to update firmwarw or do motor detection on a vesc 4.12 without usb, using just bluetooth??

1 Like

Whats your order number? Maybe there is a HW defect under warranty.

Yes to both.

1 Like