Neumotors in San Diego

These motors:

Land-surf

most likely come from these guys:

Neumotors

They are local to me, work with at least land-surf guys, don’t look like maychunk motors, and are something different, kinda.

Besides me sitting on a small shops worth of 63xx motors, why is this a bad idea to pursue?

Spice up ur lyfe.

10 Likes

We’ve tried to reach out to them before, we were met with a brick wall :joy: @MYKC had first hand experience.

I think I talked to you awhile back about the motors from the Hoyt supplier I had planned? It was pretty much these Neumotors but on steroids, but these companies don’t like small batches, and they charge FORTUNES to start production…

5 Likes

it was KDE i think?

Yeah, still have their email saying I owe them money for signing a contract - which I never did :joy:

5 Likes

Oh, well “off the shelf” works with the specs they list. 8mm axles are a bummer with the hardware I have.

1.2k$ for motors alone from landsurf would make me feel like a real jerk. They are pretty tho, and they are red.

1 Like

Yikes, that’s a red flag.

4 Likes

Bahaha, agreed, I would love a set of those Land Surf motors… Might have to call Matt about getting some.

1.2k is still $400+ cheaper then it would’ve been from KDE… although the KDE motors were a good chunk more powerful.

2 Likes

Yeah, was surprised as well, they had been pretty helpful before that.

1 Like

You can try reach E-Max, they might accept a 5 unit sample batch of custom motor to your specs (but you will have to pay sample fee which they price at 300$). Above 5 they might require a minimum batch of 200 units, which is not so big compared to other companies.

http://www.yinyanmodel.com/en/About.asp?ID=8

I used to work with them to mini group buy narrow 50mm motors which I still have btw. Not all motors in the group buy were the same specs too. Low price but not low on quality or finish.

You can ask for a derivative of one of the bigger GT motors for example, to reduce costs. Then spec however you need (asking for battle hardening, big shaft, more bearings? I think they have everything in house to make it happen)

Yinyan model is their initial manufacturer’s website, everything should still be up to date.

4 Likes

Estimated arrival: Now early Feb.

So next year? :thinking:

Yeah, I asked for a quote on a pair of custom motors (suitable for esk8 and different from their standard offering)… they were very reluctant but agreed to give me a quote and then went silent on me (shot them a few follow up emails). I think they’re only interested if it’s a bulk order, otherwise it’s not worth their time.

7 Likes

Lol, those fuckers (same guy that sent you that nasty-gram) sent me an email asking if I wanted to proceed with order.

3 Likes

I went to their office and talked to them. Then I was given the cold shoulder.

I told them I wanted a custom 63mm motor and was told they would check on the tooling. Never heard back ever.

This was after confirming the design and quantity needed…bummer

Excellent product but horrible communication. Everyone that’s bought from them knows this.

14 Likes

The shaft is on the wrong side and it appears the windings aren’t terminated into nice phase wires, just extended and shrinkwrapped.

7 Likes

the two links show different motors. one doesnt look like the shaft can be made to come out the other end, maybe it can.

"COMPONENT SPECIFICATIONS

• Winding temperature: — 180C
  • Magnet grade: – 180C UH grade
  • Bearings: Japanese SPB bearings "

the magnets can get to really high temp but dont say how strong they are exactly but being such high temp ability they cant be as strong. K&J Magnetics - Specifications

. wire you can get up to 230c or maybe its 240c these days. 200c wire is pretty standard.

if you want really nice motors its not hard to design them around an off the shelf stator. i have like 30 stators im trying to get rid of that i dont use anymore and were the stator i used before for hub motors. 4752 size, so 47mm diameter and 52mm long. kawasaki .2mm laminate steel which is rare being so thin and great for higher speed and low iron losses.

get a machine shop to make the hub and bell, buy some magnets off the shelf or custom, get some wire, get some bearings and a shaft, …glue. Bet you can make something way better than anything you’ll find for sale.

you could design it for skating specifically and seal it, get bearings on both sides of the bell for more durability, get fatter bearings, glue the crap out of it, do a hallbach magnet array or do some fat steel bell to hold in the magnetic field which no other outrunners seem to do as so many seem intended to be for planes and light weight. write me if you want to buy at least 10 stators.
ultimately its not that expensive. not as much as that landsurf motor.

with a 47mm diameter stator youd end up with a strange mid-size between 50 and 60mm motor. maybe 57mm.

8 Likes

Welp, this is a resounding bummer.

Thread title should be, “hold on hotshot, we’ve been down this road before…”

8 Likes

Its ok mr hotshot, you can always go the hummie route :rofl:

5 Likes

My dude I would take some from you but won’t catch the pill right away, I need to keep focus on what I’m building right now :kiss:

I’ll hit you a PM again in couple months I think!

4 Likes

Esk8 advice of the year nomination. Damn it.

11 Likes

Not sure if you know or not, but this is a good spot. Their method of phase wire termination has caused at least one bad crash. Not sure how much he’s posted about it here.

2 Likes