NESE, the no solder 18650 battery system

You can guestimate the size of that battery, 9x10 cells so 18x9=162mm plus gaps, guessing 1mm(could be .5mm) so 8mm and then you have hexagon standoffs on both sides which are 5.5mm plus 3mm gap off the cells to the sides on both sides so 162+8+6+11=187mm. 7P NESE is 141.3mm in length plus bolt, shallow would be ~4mm so 145.3mm, ok be generous, 150mm still almost 4cm shorter and this is calculation/guesstimation for the narrowest part of the battery.
The wider part would come out probably narrower but volume would be larger

1 Like

BTW i have Makita modules which are 18.5mm thick. That would bring total to 240mm including bms module. 145x240x75 would be whole pack, 12s7p+bms
It could be marginally thinner, guestimating 72-74mm for that battery vs 75mm nese. Still, there will be nuts for those standoffs so add abother 4mm per both sides

1 Like

The design is interesting and if you have a link i would like to look into it.
But still, if a cell goes bad, you need to take it apart where with NESE you need to undo 2 bolts and pull out module with bad cell/s. Its still too complicated from my point of view even if you could save couple cmā€™s here and there. No doubt better than Vruzend :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://youtu.be/0x4qWjvc1VY from 3.50 you can see the installation of the module, which is for this product by Trampa MASSIVE MONSTER Box with 21700 PCB Pack - NO CELLS

And I appreciate you running the through the options here, thank you. Iā€™ll get my measuring tape and see how itā€™ll work with one of the pelicases :+1:

Changed my mind. Dont like it at all :grinning:
And the price, 830ā‚¬ without cells, system with bms :astonished:

2 Likes

The price is shocking and iā€™d never consider it - itā€™s a system for yuppies imo. Though a single printable NESE module at that size seems like a cool idea to me, though youā€™d know better the reality of doing something like that

1 Like

I think the best way is to find nice enclosure to fit all. Its always easier to build single small module than large on. From safety perspective too. I think it would be possible to fit all, including esc in same or even smaller lighter package. These are dimensions they state:
External Box Length - 284mm
External Box Width - 219mm
External Box Height - 88mm
NESE would take up 225x145x88 or 246x145x75 so there still is space for BMS and ESC

1 Like

The interior space of the trampa box is a bit smaller so that battery wouldnt fit that i dont think
Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 15.50.11

though i wasnt planning on getting a trampa box anyway, i was just curious about their design for that battery system, and if it could be replicated. My choice of enclosure is pelicase 1200

Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 15.52.46
or something similar, maybe slighlty larger, (thought the next model up the peli case 1300 is too large)ā€¦ill be having a look at what can fit in there.

1 Like

If you were considering the 1200, I recommend the im2050, its around the same size but has things like locking latches and stuff. Feels more premium for the same price.

I fit a 12s8p 18650 NESE in my im2050. I have pictures if you want.

1 Like

nice hint, thanks. yeah please do link me to any pics =D

1 Like

Idk where it is here so:

4 Likes

oh super nicely done. will the ESC fit in there too?

2 Likes

No, there is about a 5mm gap on each side, 10mm gap front and back, and around 5mm gap on bottom with 10mm space on top. Its tight. I even ran paracord underneath the battery so I could pull it out of the case because with foam all around it was really stuck in there.

The battery has since been replaced with a welded 12s8p P42A that is actually smaller than the NESE 18650. Same configuration. So basically a NESE 18650 and a welded 21700 are around the same size.

:heart_eyes:
P42 a is what Iā€™d want tbh. Good to know that it it fits in the pelicase

1 Like

Does anyone have a link to an enclosure that will fit 6 x 2s4p 21700 NESE modules (shallow)? looking to mount to a RedEmber44

I found this case so far, closest to monster box @ 300x230x86. Slightly larger but it would fit all electronics with all the buttons etc:

With some digging a perfect enclosure could be found for a project. Might not be counting mm but within cm or two

1 Like

This is a great find, thanks. I was consideirng just 3d printing one to the perfect size, but the finish here seems very good. Cant tell if thereā€™s a minimum quantity of 10ā€¦dont think there is

6 Likes

The prices for the modules have been updated. All prices are now lower and in some cases significantly.

26650 modules are now available for purchase

Information on each module(size, weight) have been updated. See ā€œAdditional Informationā€ on product page

Do contact me if you need additional info, cant make up your mind and need a little push, advice or help. Will try my best.

15 Likes