NESE, the no solder 18650 battery system

Exciting! Is it safe to presume the tabs and other accoutrement will remain static and work on new design?

I would try to keep it the same. Will see how it works out. I am doing some more pocketing to loose more plastic so its lighter. Grams, but still.

5 Likes

Every bit counts :slight_smile:

That’s what she said

2 Likes

Damn… just finished up printing 20pcs of the normal 21700 modules. And now you tell me that you can make them smaller, so I can have room for more. Looking forward to se :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its not much, but you know how these thing go. I could just leave it, but then it would be boring :smiley:
It would allow you to go 22S in the same space :blush:
Looking at all designs i can safely, without jeopardizing physical integrity make modules as follows:
18650 @ 20.5mm vs 22mm
21700 @ 23.5mm vs 26mm
26650 @ 28.5mm
only 2.5mm thicker than the cell itself. Also ~1-1.5mm shorter
Big question mark is if i could reuse my tabs. Making it thinner offsets bolt hole. At the moment 18650 bolt hole is 11mm from the side and same from the top/bottom. This allows to use same series busbar either way. Have designed the holes oval but i am not sure yet if it will be OK.

7 Likes

Since I´m already bought the hardware from you, I´m hoping to be able to re-use this.

I have checked and you will be able to reuse it. Only thing, it will only work with 18650 bus bars, side to side and back to back. If you want, i can provide stl for whatever P you need so you could print a sample and see if its any good to you

1 Like

Damn, I bough the 21700 kit
I guess thats life…

Did you intrnded 18650?

Love the NESE system very much, so far. Very very easy to build. Waiting for some parts to finish Up. Looking forward to test.

8 Likes

20S6P pack?!?!
monster range

1 Like

Time Will tell. My gokart is pretty Hungry.

3 Likes

Does this look OK?

Is it recommended to put some insulation at the red circle?

Also, I wasn’t sure if I should cut the part with or without foam. Does it make any difference? I cut the one without simply because it was slightly easier to do. (Also, the one with foam seems more valuable and I didn’t want to damage it. :))

This is my first assembled 2S4P NESE module. Really easy. Love it!

8 Likes

I didnt use any insulation on the marked area, since the cap is holding the cells in place i don’t see a problem. I think agnisium put them in naked and no problem.

Naked in the 2S housing? I would understand that for 1S housing. In the 2S, if the two series touch on the negative, that’s a dead short.

1 Like

2S i am not sure of.

@Benjamin899 by naked, do you mean w/o a cell wrap? If so, that seems questionable.

@Janpom The N.E.S.E. system with the lid affixed should keep the cells separated without any chance they’d touch even in cases of vibration. If the N.E.S.E. case suffers physical damage then this separation may be compromised. I have the same setup on my 12s4p N.E.S.E. pack (6 x 2s4p modules).

1 Like

sorry if i missed it, but did you have a rough timeline on when you’d get the 26650 tabs in stock?

The cells sit in a cradle and they wont move or touch. Before i had 2SxP gapless but by request here made 0.9mm separator. Its not needed but just in case. And yes, i had my cells without wrap in 1S configuration but NOT 2S.
I leave foamed tab uncut as you have done

2 Likes