Need settings help i‘m not happy with torque/topspeed ratio and not sure that i configured it right

I‘m running a focbox unity with 190kv 6374 flipsky‘s on 6“ tires with bn at m1 helical 4.60 ratio and 12s4p p42a battery

Motor current max 80
Motor current max brake -70
Battery current max 60
Battery current max regen -16
Battery voltag cut off start 40.8
Battery voltage cut off end 36

Any setting recommendations for more torque /speed with and without changing gears for a 50kg dude

Who made the battery?

Torque and top-speed are opposites. Which one do you want more of?

1 Like

If you want more torque and more top speed, go with an 18S battery, 8” tires, and lower kv motors

4 Likes

Only thing you can really do without buying stuff is bump up is the motor amps for some more torque and that’s only as long as the unity keeps cool (heat sink exposed to air)

Technically you could gear it for more speed but you’d be sacrificing torque for it.

Bigger tires would improve top speed slightly at the sacrifice of torque as well.

3 Likes

I build the battery withe nese

How much you think i could bump the motor amps up? Unity is mounted on a heatsink and i don‘t have the feeling its getting hot

I already tried 7“ tires for more topspeed with lower gearing (5.20) for more torque, its a slight difference but could be more

Personally, I would bump it up 10A and check your motors temp at the end of a ride. If they’re too hot to touch, it’s a problem.

1 Like

If you go up in gearing while you go up in tire size, you are not doing anything to improve top speed or torque. Those two things cancel each other out.

Anytime you improve top speed by changing gearing/wheel size, you will decrease torque. You cannot improve both at the same time, unless you add more wattage to your system overall.

This means increasing voltage or amperage, as others have pointed out.

The other thing that is turning on what is called “Field weakening”. This would allow you to have up to 50% higher top speed, while running the 5.2 gearing on 6" tires.

It’s somewhat untested on esk8, but all the EUC guys run Field weakening. Proceed with caution if you try it. Most of us just use higher voltage battery packs to achieve more wattage rather than playing around with field weakening.

2 Likes

Bro, you have a very small current, set the maximum battery current to 80A, the maximum motor current to 100A, the absolute maximum current to 160A

1 Like

Yeah i went up with tire size and down with gearing and i understand that these two things cancel each other out.

But thx alot. I just searched for another way to improve my settings but seems like i‘ve to change the battery

Thx 4 input

1 Like

Yeah thats the answer i‘ve searched for, but when i set these things up is it save? Seems to be all a lot higher tham it should be. I would be afraid because what you wrote is much higher than recommended for all the parts i have…any other opinions tothese settings anybody.
Would love to run these specs without fearing to be a bomb

Two more recommendations here for you to try before you set out spending a ton of money on a new battery.

First off, try increasing the throttle curve. Change it to +30% exponential throttle.

You’ll feel like you have more power immediately, even though the total maximum power is the same. This can actually do a lot more than you would expect.

The other thing you might consider is upgrading the ESC. If you swapped the unity out with a MakerX dv6 you could run much higher motor current amps. This would give you the extra torque you are looking for. The 6374 motors can take more than 80a for sure, and you are pretty light, so you’re less likely to overheat motors.

Those are the first things I would do if I was in your position.

4 Likes

If the esc isn’t overheating u can increase motor amps and battery too, and use field weakening Or MTPA. the battery is already capable

1 Like

According to the characteristics, the vesc must withstand this current

1 Like

Thx that sounds good to me
Huge hug for the help i will try

I already thougt of buying a new vesc and run more amps through, as u said the motors can handle it. just wanted to hear out if it blows out the unity if i turn the amps higher. Seems to be reasonable to buy a new vesc than a new battery, but there’s just this little fucked up thing called „range anxiety“ pretty sure you already met it at some stage of your journey. So maybe first change the vesc and then build a new pack sometimes.

Anyway, thx :pray:

2 Likes

:ok_hand: will try that too.
Thx

I agree, swap to a newer VESC like a DV6s and change your throttle curve. Just the throttle curve alone gives a nice perception of increased acceleration off the line.

Dont know why would bother swapping esc if u can just increase the current settings and use field weakening or MTPA.

Telling a beginner to use field weakening on a unity is bad advice.

3 Likes

As is most of what he contributes to this forum

1 Like