Need help finding a 10S3P for cheap. On a tight budget

Honestly I know lipos aren’t a good idea but if people been using them for two years like @mutantbass then they know what their doing if it’s been going that long

Max current ratings are measured for safe usage limits on a cell, but you can pull more from them. Not safely, generally, and not with good results.

The lower a cell’s discharge ability, the lower current you can pull from it before the voltage sags significantly. If your pack has a max rating of 30 amps, and the ESC pulls 30 amps, then it will sag very badly and begin the series of events that make for a less than ideal riding experience.

Granted, I rarely pull 30 battery amps, but specifically for the M36 cell, it’s rated for continuous discharge of 5 amps or so, at which point, 30 amps isn’t great.

Am about to make the batteries again and add a bms. If u have any recommendations or worries please tell.

2 Likes

I was going to say only pot it 3/4 the way up but if cells are both up and down in the pack then venting disks end up getting sealed in anyway.

Test the pack like crazy before potting though.

2 Likes

You should go back and read. I never mentioned that cell…

But you are correct with your comment only if they were m36 cells.

Ah, M26 cells. I misread. My mistake there, I’m sorry.

That being said, it doesn’t change the point about a lower discharge pack being “safer”.

A 10s3p of VTC5 cells would be about as “safe” as a pack of M26 cells, assuming build quality is the same. In practice, it wouldn’t perform as well and sag more under the same load.

But it seems the general focus is getting things dirt cheap, at which point, like I said, OP can buy whatever they like.

It just doesn’t seem kosher to sell a battery as “safer” just because it has a lower discharge rating.

4 Likes

Hello
3p, that won’t last very long, the larger the pack the longer it will last if you can save up and go for 6p, or even 8p. My main pack is 12p
The less stress you put your cells under the longer they will last
And if you use them from 20 to 80% voltage range they will last for a million miles :slight_smile:
Its better to build a larger pack with lower current output rating cells
Charge slow as possible.

Joey coming in hard with the bold truth! Haha

1 Like

My had a spontaneous full throttle… no bueno

2 Likes

If you haven’t already placed the order for the batteries consider getting these, CNHL 6200mAh 18.5V 5S 30C Lipo Battery
They are a couple of dollars more but come with ~1.5x the capacity so you’ll get more range, check if these will fit though.

1 Like

am i tripping or are all their batteries out of stock

@mutantbass helped me out with finding the best lipos, including a Bluetooth BMS, If I run two of these I’ll get around 4500mah at 30c, so I’ll be getting 10s and because their both 5s. So I’ll be getting 45 amps continuous. Which would get me around 12-15 miles and speeds of 28-30 with the 190kv motor, VESC and my 15t gear

They’re out of stock in the EU warehouses that it shows when viewing from Europe anyway :’( I haven’t checked the US ones because the site is terrible

So today I recently got my charge port and charger in, I’m going to be running 4500mah lipos with a smart BMS, where does the charge port go into?

positive should go straight to the battery pos and negative should go to the c- on the BMS

fixed :+1:

4 Likes

whoopsie

I use 12awg wire right

For charging you can use 18AWG or 20AWG

For the ESC you need 12AWG