Need Advice on Surfrodz Trucks

Hello everybody, as you can tell in the pictures the inside threading of my trucks came out as it got cross threaded and when i unscrewed it it all came out, is there anyway to fix this or do i need to buy a new hanger? they are around $65 i believe. I was also talking to someone and he said getting it tapped might be an option but i have no one to bring it to that could do that. Any suggestions on anything would be apprenticed, Thanks!

2 Likes

You would need to find the exact helicoil size surfrodz uses and be very precise when reinstalling.

They’re notoriously slow about responding but have you asked them about this? That shouldn’t happen if it is installed correctly by them.

1 Like

AFAIK you’re screwd… Tapping will weaken it. So get a new one. And make sure to unscrew the grub screws every time you need to remove the axle

4 Likes

yes i sent them an email yesterday, but no response yet

that might have been the problem i never unscrewed the grub screw, im gonna get a new one i think but im going to wait for an email from them to see if they would cover it although i doubt it

Helicoil is M8

5 Likes

im not sure how to go that, im gonna try to find some videos on it and then decided if its worth that or just getting a new hanger

It’s pretty easy.

Thread the helicoil onto the black installation tool then turn the helicoil into the thread in the hanger.

Once the helicoil is in and you’re happy with placement in the hanger grab a flathead screwdriver and hit the tang on the helicoil to remove it.

Hardest part will be judging how far to insert the helicoil into the hanger. Just make the new one look like the one opposite it.

3 Likes

awesome i watched a vid on it and im gonna try that out

1 Like

Yeah, easy to do. You don’t have to drill or tap anything, just install the helicoil.

1 Like

There’s a chance that the original poster may well have damaged the thread that the helicoil screws into though? Difficult to see I guess.

3 Likes

ill do my best to see it with a flashlight

Always a possibility. Replacing the coil is a cheap first step though.

2 Likes

I feel like there is little chance the aluminum on the inside isn’t fully jacked up making helicoil replacement not only a bitch, but impossible to get just right.

I would just order a new hanger.

True, but if it is hosed, you invested more money and time into an already destroyed hanger that you should have just replaced.

Did this happen as you were putting it back in? I feel like loctite can gum things up over time and makes cross threading much more likey.

6 Likes

This is why I don’t loctite anything on SR.

6 Likes

I’m going to be very honest and mention I didn’t even realize the hangers had grubs in them. The fit is already snug as is and I don’t want to dent or scratch my shoulder bolts.

3 Likes

ill just get a new hanger

2 Likes

I think that is for the best.

2 Likes

its only like 65 bucks for a hanger as well i just hope shippinf doesnt take to long cuz me and @whaddys NEED to get a group ride going before winter

1 Like

Probably quicker to get it from sickboards

2 Likes