'Need 4 Speed (& traction)' Track specific board build thread. And ERL updates now :)

Not that anyone gives a fuck but your binding is on backwards.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s been pointed out in another pic somewhere on the forum. I did it that way as it works better with angles of the drop in the deck.

But thanks for heads up nonetheless :+1:

3 Likes

Been very slack with updates but been doing a bit of riding…

The third and final round of the ERL Winter Tri series in Perth was awesome. Won two of three races in the last round and a got close second in the final race after a terrible start which put me last going into first hairpin haha.

Everyone is getting faster and the competition is heating up! Had some awesome battles! I did enough to take 1st place in Division 1 so pretty stoked with that.

Had a few track sessions since the final round and got beat by 0.01seconds on fastest lap last session which has given me extra motivation to get faster.

I’m lucky enough to get hold of some SRB BRPs to play around with tomorrow night so looking forward to comparing times with other tyres I’ve tried.

I’ll also get back out on the T Race course next week to try move up the rankings. I really need to work on my Toe side turns. Rather than relying on leaning I must get low as well!

11 Likes

Time to upgrade my raceboard so I’m after suggestions on best setup.

@MoeStooge has of course got the SRB approach which i can do with my new deck and enclosure from @glyphiks. So 8s lipo or 8s12p p42a liion and Mamba X escs with 2wd 800kv inruuners.

Or i can do a 12s8p p42a with a 4wd vesc based setup. Idea being i can split the amount of amps across 4 motors to reduce the risk of over voltage faults and heat related thermal throttling.

It seems the SRB guys are killing it with their setups so it makes sense to me to go the same way but I’ve always had vesc based setups (which i’m losing faith in with a few heavy stacks from random cutouts!)

6 Likes

My personal preference would be the 4wd vesc approach. 4wd boards are so much fun. But twice as many headaches :sweat_smile:

This is indeed a pickle but i’m excited for whatever option you choose!

4 Likes

Another vote for 4wd, at least that’s what I’m planning on but HV. Also, looking for that increased braking power. But yeah it’s hard to argue with those proven SRB setup.

2 Likes

What about optimizing your new board for particular races/track? Or is it not really worth doing and swapping out tires is sufficient?

Cause what races are there right now small track, large track, and one way up hills?

2 Likes

ERL is still growing over here. Most of the tracks so far are probably considered short track as top speed achieved is about 60km/h and tight hairpins. The indoor track we use we can hit around 56km/h. There’s a possibility of a longer outdoor gokart track but hasnt eventuated yet.

I can change pinion gears to suit. Definitely no long uphill races or anything like that yet.

2 Likes

I’m curious why people don’t run smaller thane wheels on these smaller tracks. Wouldn’t acceleration be better coming out of corners? Or is it because of lack of grip?

2 Likes

Grip with thane on indoor track is terrible! Pneumatics indoor is king so far. BRPs outdoor on bitumen/tarmac are king in my experience.

5 Likes

If i could run one motor and controller i would. Piling on more electronics lowers the overall stress on equipment, increases forward bite and braking balance but increases static and rotating mass.
Biggest concern with 4 motor is doubling the failpoints in the system…
All electrical equipiment has a service life and will eventually fail if ran past the service point or prematurely fail if stressed past its working window.
Over build and keep it as simple as posdible.
Maintain and monitor.
Heat is the enemy.

7 Likes

Have you ever road smaller thane wheels in a parking garage? You get worse grip than you can get on a rougher but wet road. Yes, you can still ride on it but you’d have a very slow race. the types paved with the slick stuff where you constantly hear car tires squeek on it

I have had my board fishtail countless times on dry parking garage pavement just when breaking while going downhill, and that was at around only 10 mph (16 km/h). You have to treat the surface the same as you’d treat ice if you want to avoid getting thrown off. Great practice for icy and slippery conditions not great for anything else skate wise

3 Likes

I definitely fishtail/drift but I felt that was more a testament to how dusty it was. Through the same area pneumies were a lot grippier. Then I wonder if anyone has tried to run the 5 inch Hoyts

2 Likes

The garage I used to ride through 5 days a week was never dusty looking so I know that wasn’t the issue in my case. At worst it would be salty but I’ve never noticed a significant difference in control due to salt on the road.

That is for thane specifically. I have never once ridden on tires/ pneumies before I have nothing against them but just never have had a chance in the last 2.5 years to ride them

2 Likes

This was the toughest esk8 decision I’ve made to date and still not convinced, but cost was the ultimate decider and a bit of ‘not sure of the unknown’ factor.

I was so close to going Mamba XLX2s and 8s battery with 800kv inrunners but the fact I can’t get sensored inrunners to fit without major alterations to my 3-links, and the cost of them swayed my decision.

I had a lot of parts on hand to go 4wd Vesc based (I only needed the battery and two 6355s for the front) so ultimately that was the smarter move as far as finances go. I very well may regret my decision not to go full Stooge system for racing but it is what it is.

Will be running Standard SRB 3-link mounts in front with Reacher 205kv 6355s. In the rear are the HD 3-link mounts and axles wirh Radium Reacher 205kv 6385s. Gearing will be 18T pinion gear and 78T SRB pinion gear on 165mm pneumatics or 18/67 on 150mm BRPs.

12s8p p42a battery built by the best battery builder in Oz @glyphiks and his Semendeed prototype that I’m super pumped to test ride.

As I want to keep this board lower to the ground I’ve stayed wirh single stack battery and putting ESCs on top in custom Core Mountanboard ESC enclosures ESC CASE — CORE mountainboarding

As I’m waiting for a few bits and bobs, I’m going to start with 2wd on 12s5p p42a from another board.

Progress pics:

Photo courtesy of Glyphiks. That’s him holding it obviously haha

17 Likes

I’m semendeeding so hard right now

10 Likes

Nice build thread, looking forward to seeing some footage from the track.

Deck looks :skateboard: :dash:, quality from @glyphiks

4 Likes

Looking good. Don’t know if this helps with your decision but Ron got 3rd in the pro class and he’s running 4wd on his stooge board.

Definitely following this build as I want to do a very similar thing.

Lit, I picked up four of these for my 4wd. But interesting you’re going to run 6485 in the back? Remind me what VESCs are you using?

2 Likes

Dv6 pro in rear and dv6 in front. Need to work out if the custom FW on my Pro can be used on the DV6 as I think I need to be running the same FW for 4wd (@jaykup can u chime in perhaps??). I need the cutom FW on rear so i can push amps up. Planning on 150A per motor rear and 50A per motor front. This might be terrible though but we’ll see haha. Can play atound with balance when all hooked up.

They’ll be some trial and error for sure.

2 Likes

You could always split ppm rather than CAN if you have to.

1 Like