My torque is non-existent

I ride sf steep hills daily, 30-40% grade but no single 6374 motor makes up the hills while even small dual 5055 will make it up just fine. You absolutely need dual for hills.

2 Likes

We still have limited infoā€¦ But whatever ill make some assumptions

16/36 gearing with 90mm wheels and 12S voltage. His motor KV is 170 or 190 if heā€™s doing 30mph.

Im not gonna get deep into how these motors work and phase voltage because its been discussed before and thereā€™s others who know far more than I do.
This scenario is the worst case. Heā€™s literally at max speed climbing a gradient for a sustained period of time. At this point, battery amps become the limiting factor as the voltage to motors increases as you go faster. Hes literally pulling the majority of those 60 amps through the vesc for a sustained period. The top end of the RPM curve will take the most energy

His riding style suggest he has some hills he interacts with frequently and he would like to be able to blast up them. I agree with @Dreskateboard . He needs duals. I also think if youā€™re routinely pushing 30 mph, you should have the braking power and redundancy of duals. He can stay with a single, but heā€™s definitely going to need a vesc 6 with a heatsink or at least aluminum plate.

1 Like

Exactly if you are going faster than 15mph you absolutely need dual for braking. Otherwise your board will slide to left or right hard when hard braking, easy way to fall and kill yourself. Just not safe.

Any word on this Zach?

Not today, hes been offline

I donā€™t understand why just changing my motor to a different brand would immediately ruin the build. It ran absolutly fine with a flipsky 6374 190kv motor with no issues whatsoever. Switch to the TB motor and now it canā€™t climb a hill more than once without losing the entirety of the power. I donā€™t see why i have to upgrade the VESC or go to a dual setup for something that obviously worked fine with a flipsky motor. No i havent gone back to test it with the flipsky to see if its a settings issue but i walked through the setup with @ZachTetra and the settings seemed to be well within range of the components on it.

Asking for help then ignoring the help you get is just wasting our time.

Try what folks have suggested, and let us know the results.

You just continue to ask more questions ā€“ presumably until you get an answer you like. We are helping you troubleshoot the problem. Other folks whoā€™ve ignored the help they got and kept requesting more free help often wore out their welcome quickly.

Weā€™ve tried to help you. Do whatā€™s been suggested, and answer the questions that have been asked if you truly want to understand this.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not trying to just blow people off here. Itā€™s alot of different things being asked of me and i can only do so much. I have connectors coming tomorrow to allow for me to test and see if the flipsky motor does the same thing or if I am just having an issue with the TB one. I will also so have a bluetooth module to provide more in-depth details o whether its a current or voltage issue. just to clarify my build, It is a TB 12s4p battery, a TB single 4.12 esc, and a TB 6374 190kv motor. gearing is 36T 16T with 90mm ABEC clones. The issue happens after climbing maybe one hill, then I am left with no power to climb the next. It may gradually get to speed on a flat leveled ground but when coming back to a hill it just comes to a hault. I will try different settings that the people have suggested and will post back when i have done so. I have limited time to try and work on this and juggle everything else going on rn and i appreciate all the help from everyone and hope to resolve this soon.

3 Likes

I think the best way to see how the motor and ESC are reacting is to fully charge the battery and watch the temperature of the ESC and the voltage of the battery change as you climb the hill with the TB motor, then let the ESC cool down to ambient as you charge the battery and do the same on the FS motor

Pop the enclosure open immediately as you crest the hill and check everywhere for hot spots, if you have a thermal gun or camera thatā€™s even better, thereā€™s always a change a wire is fucked

If the voltage drops too much your battery probably needs a looking at (either the BMS is throttling you or a cell group is dying), if the ESC temp goes up rapidly then you are using too much power and you need to scale back the battery current (based on what it maxes out as on the hill climb), and if the Bluetooth shows nothing but changing the motor fixes it then you probably have something wrong with the motor (in which case you would need to crack it open and look for damage or something)

2 Likes

Doing all that before youā€™ve tried suggested settings that donā€™t involve tearing apart the skate?

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s fair, you said try 20A battery?

Iā€™m going to bet on that 12s4p battery being the culprit.

1 Like

That question was already answered. Solution and reason

It is highly likely you flipsky was limiting the current resulting in less heat in your VESC

2 Likes

Your settings are of concern out side of spec
Motor 60A (why is this set above the ESC constant limit)
Motor - 60A (why is this set above the ESC constant limit not to mention Iā€™d exspect you to lock the wheel up much over 25A)
Battery 60A 30Q 15/20A x4 60-80A all good well with in there
Batter -6A (why is this so low) 30Q have a fast charge of 4A x 4P = 16A as a general rule of thumb most people double this due to burst charging and duty cycle = up to 32A

2 Likes

I appreciate the help, I wasnā€™t too familiar with the software and everything and was programming it a different way. I will go in and change up the settings and see where that puts the board at. Iā€™m just currently under a heavy workload and am trying to fix it while maintaining everything else.

1 Like

Im confused ā€“ I was under the impression that you ONLY changed the motor and every other component was the same as before.
The flipsky to TB motor swap does not cause this. You did have to repeat motor detection, and Iā€™m betting the settings are different from whatever you had before

why did you buy a new motor?

2 Likes

One of the magnets in the Flipsky motor was causing a loud screeching noise upon high end acceleration. Only reason to why I changed the motor out. The connectors I ordered is so I donā€™t have to resolder 4mm female bullet connectors to the VESC to run the Flipsky to troubleshoot my current issue

I have since reprogrammed with the help of @ZachTetra but some further tweaks and troubleshooting will be done once I have the connector available to me.

Does it do this at all if youā€™re not going up a hill? Board is normal outside of these incidents?

The board with Flipsky motor would make the screech going on flat ground as well as hills. This loss in power, from what Iā€™ve experienced, has only occurred when I climb a hill. Iā€™d have amazing power that would be expected from the setup, climb up a hill really well, continue and get to the next and have the board come to a slow hault while trying to ascend the next one. Shut the board off, wait a minute or two, turn it on and bam, right back to full power up the hill, then the cycle continues

1 Like