My second build, help with what vesc to buy

Hi, this is my first post here (and recently created an account) even though i have been reading in the shadows sporadically this forum and the old one for almost two years, so nice to finally talk to you guys!!

So i have my 1,5 build done, i say that because i have been upgrading my first build little by little until now, that im going to do a big change.

After a lot of time running single 6364 sk3 im tired of my bets skipping and barely getting on top of hills (i live in the south of spain in a place with a lot of hills), so i bought for pretty cheap from a guy here (240 eur) dual tb6380 with the motor mounts and the tb218 trucks, brand new.

Now im in a situation where im running at 8s 3p (soon to be 4p, cannot be bigger bc the deck its a SR flexe 1.0) With a continuous discharge of arround 60-80 amps continuous and 105-130 peak, and i need a vesc for my setup.

After reading though the fourm, i im not able to come to a conclusion on what vesc to buy. So, im looking for more experienced vesc users to tell me what its best for my case or what its a good deal.

My options are limited as i dont have a lot of money (college life XD):

-Flipsky 6.6 dual mini (135 eur,150 dollar,122gbp) banggood (i have a 20% discount)

-Focbox unity (175 eur,195 dollar,158 gbp) Aliexpress

-Maker X go foc retro From the official website with cooling box(200dollars Incl shipping,178 eur, 161 gbp)

-Wait till the TB vesc 6 comes out and look at the price.

I havent looked at single vesc because in general they cost a little more expensive,and they take up more space, But feel free to recommend me whatever you want.
Finally, i was about to buy the maker x but i didnt see a lot of people who had it and the owner of the shop doesnt answer my emails, so i would like to hear from you guys.

pd: im aware of the several posts about flipsky vs unity but given i have big motors but not so big battery i would like to know your insigth on the reliability of both with not such a high voltage nor current.

THANK YOU for reading this and feel free to leave a comment :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If money is not tight. Iā€™ll go for stormcore 60D hoping for discount. Second, choice focbox unity itā€™s a solid esc. Flipsky do a search here( draw your own conclusion). As for makerX not much feedbacks but it has few good feedbacks. The problem doesnā€™t work on foc mode( works great in BLDC) :joy:but MakerX transparent enough admit their mistake and I respect that :+1: looking forward buying GoFoc SV6 until problems are fix.

1 Like

You can hope in one hand and shit in anotherā€¦

Iā€™d say there is zero chance of a discount at launch. Theyā€™ve got start up costs to offset and a ton of R&D to make back. Theyā€™ve built up anticipation that has the whole community clamoring for the on sale date. Also, Iā€™m not aware of discounts being offered by lacroix in the past.

From my point of view any discount offered until they are forced to by a competitor product would be foolish.

Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™d love a discount but think itā€™s about a 0% chance.

12 Likes

Iā€™m very well aware of that Iā€™m just optimistic kinda guyšŸ˜Iā€™m really strongly leaning on focbox unity. Anyway, off topic here

1 Like

no

donā€™t get the one from aliexpress, buy a legit one from someone thatā€™s parting out

makerX is a decent one, but if u r not in a rush to get a new esc, i would wait for TBV6 or 60D

3 Likes

I think ordering a unity from Ali / raptor shop with PayPals protection + a credit card providers protection, with the help of the forum to ensure its ok, is the best way to go.

Flipsky = no

Maker x = meh

Tb6 = not here, out of budget as well when you factor in shipping and taxes

Disclaimer: I havnt used a single one of these escs. Iā€™m just see saying.

3 Likes

Dont worry about that, its about the experience and feedback you have readed :slight_smile:

i would love to buy it second hand but they FLY, and also, getting it in europe its even touhger. Do you know somethig about the price of the 60d and the tb? It seems like theryre gonna be expesive (i know you are paying for quality but you know, spending 300 on a vesc now i really cant, probably my limit is 200 eur. Thanks for your response. :grin:

I think youre right, furthermore, lacroix its pretty exclusive, and their products are of good quality, so pretty sure that vesc its gonna be pretty restrictive by price and by production volume (as its high quality theyre probably well tested before shimpent which cuts a lot in possible production)

ircc, 60d should be around 350eur (did the conversion for u as it looks like u r in the eu)
electricboardsolutions will have them in stock i think, donā€™t quote me on that, but lacroix still have dibs on the first batch of stormcoresssss

Edit: found the price from the stormcore thread

1 Like

i wish tere was a discount :rofl:, but i dont think so. I have investigated flipsky thorougly, and for me theyre a ā€œprobably worth the riskā€ because banggood consumer protection is not bad, and for 135 eur, i can buy another vesc and wouldnt even reach the price of the 60D (i dont know about the price of the t
TBV6 though)

1 Like

320 bucks are A LOT for me, maybe in a future with a part time job when i manage to keep up with college it would be possible, but not now. maybe i can get myself a job this summer but i dont want my esk8 dead so long as i really want to enjoy it now with the good weather and the late sunsets .Thanks anyway :grin:

1 Like

I would upgrade this to ā€œgoodā€ from my side

I wouldnā€™t push it too hard but it performs basically to-spec in my experience so far.

What version you have mesc?

I have the Dv4 running in one of my builds and just recently received the GoFoc Retro, which will be in a 12S build within a month or so.

The package size of the dv4 is great, Iā€™m running within the stated limits and have had zero issues so far. Setup was really easy due to the internal CAN connection

2 Likes

That makes me consider it more seriously, dou you have experience with contacting the seller?, i have not gotten a response from him in the emails and that worries me, i havent tried on the forum though.

No but Iā€™ve heard his response time isnā€™t great. Sometimes he replies on the forum, sometimes he doesnā€™t. I think the email comms usually take a while. Either way, both orders I put in I got within 2.5 weeks from order to part received. I never needed to contact him

1 Like

Seems fine i guess, the 24 dollars of shipping are gonna hurt but maker x its now in my top three to buy, which are probably unity (if i can pay through paypal), go foc retro, dual 6.6 flipsky (135 eur) its really appealing to be honest

Flipsky dual 6.6(not the plus version) has decent reviews. I have the dual 4.20 lots of issues almost give up upgraded the fw 5.2 no cutoff and overvoltage error in foc mode.

1 Like

Sorry about my ignorance but does ā€œfwā€ mean firmware? Iā€™m from Spain and some things scape my knowledge :sweat_smile: