My first DIY attempt - landyachtz evo + pre built

2nd attempt complete:

Update. Took it apart and started to clean everything up/tweak existing setup.

So far I’ve stained the deck, added threaded inserts for the enclosure and reverse mounted the motors.

Just wanted to share my first ‘DIY’ attempt. I felt this wasn’t complete DIY so I kept it in the general discussion. I took an eBay board with what I thought had OK specs (90mm wheels, 42v, 5.2ah, dual belt motors, nice looking enclosure) and retrofitted this setup to my trusty evo. I’ve hit 22mph and estimate 7-8 miles of range (haven’t run it out yet). I have another battery and enclosure with the same specs above that I plan to add in parallel to increase range and reduce sag. Having a blast. Hopefully purchasing a build kit board over Black Friday.

11 Likes

I’d still call it DIY. You did this by yourself, right? :wink:

Any idea what ESC is in that box?

5 Likes

That looks like one of the OG Evo’s that everyone wants lol.

4 Likes

Changed the category for you to DIY Builds – if it’s worthy of a thread (isn’t 100% a prebuilt), then it should be in that category I believe :slight_smile:

Looks cool! I bet the deck alone makes the biggest difference in terms of riding it.

3 Likes

Congrats on your first build! Welcome to the DIY club.

You really want to look into sealing that enormous gap between the enclosure and the deck though. You won’t want water or random conductive parts flying in.

4 Likes

Yep! The ESC looks like the dual version 6s, 7s, 10s esc you see on eBay.

2 Likes

@ThermalChild it’s got to be 10+ years old. My favorite board. Makes average riders good and good riders great, lol!

2 Likes

Thanks! Yep the deck is awesome.

@avX it’s got a ‘seal’ on top of the metal enclosure so no water can leak in (even if the enclosure isn’t tight to the board). Supposedly it was ‘ip54’ waterproof or something like that? I’m still thinking about running a bead of glue or something to really seal it up, but I want to add the second enclosure and do the wiring before that.

1 Like

Hmm… am I seeing this wrongly…?

Also, you might want to change the way you’re routing those motor wires into your enclosure. Your motors are going to eat those sleeves everytime you turn your board (when your truck leans)

4 Likes

@avX it’s a reflection off the bottom of the board. Agreed on wire routing, but no rubs yet (was a concern for me too).

4 Likes

Ahh, damn, I must be getting old!

2 Likes

Looked like a gap to me too haha. You’re good.

3 Likes

Mounted the second enclosure and battery, bent the enclosure to match the rear curvature of the board. I now have two 5.2ah 36v batteries in parallel, can’t wait to see how much range I get!

3 Likes

New teal grip tape :slight_smile:

4 Likes

And lights

3 Likes

where’d you get the battery from?

1 Like

@murdomeek,

I bought two of the same pre built boards for cheap on eBay. That’s where I got the enclosures and batteries.

2 Likes

i have that same deck

3 Likes

@kevingraehl nice looking line up!

1 Like