My first build | 2x Flipsky 6384 | Granda Plata | 12s5p 40T

I’d like to present you with my first DIY build:

• Granda plata deck with BigBen enclosure
  • 2x Flipsky battle hardened 6384
  • Dual FSESC 6.7 Plus ESC
  • 15.2’’ DKP trucks
  • 8’’ pneumatic wheels
  • 12s5p DIY battery pack using 40T’s (was aiming for P42A’s, but were out of stock at the time)
  • LLT Power smart BMS with Bluetooth
  • Lucid grip glow

For the battery p-packs I used 3D printed cases by @janpom. I used 0.15mm nickel and 3x 12 AWG for serial connections. Overkill, but I’d like to be on the safe side. Main discharge line is fused with 150A, charge with 5A and each balancing line with 500mA.

I am using a 2-pin aviation connector as a charging port. It is on a bulkier side, but I like because it feels solid and it seems to be well protected when not in use. Charging port is the only thing that is mounted on the enclosure. To be able to easily remove it from the board I made a XT60 connector on the inside.

For charging I am using an old 120W laptop charger and a 1500W voltage booster from AliExpress. I want to replace it with a smaller 400W one, but I am still waiting for that order to arrive.

Power switch is built into the enclosure gasket, which is based on the one that @janpom created for the same board/enclosure combination. I modified it to be able to fit M16 button and changed how the motor connectors are held in place. Instead of having to bolt on a separate piece I created two inserts, that come in from the bottom and are held in place when the gasket is screwed to the deck.

I reinforced the deck and the enclosure with carbon fiber - one layer on the enclosure and one layer on each side of the deck. Initially the idea was to go with the carbon fiber look, but that didn’t turn out as I planned. So now I have a mostly black look with some areas of visible carbon fiber. I was quite frustrated about that, but the end result looks quite OK in my opinion. Which makes me feel a bit better :slight_smile:

I also created a truck riser with some leads for the motor cables. They keep the cables secure and in place. The riser has a M3 hole for additional accessories. The first (and only for now) is a back light holder. I am planning to add some proper lighting to the board, but I don’t have capacity for that project at the moment so I am using a pair of cheap bicycle lights at the moment.

I published the 3D model for the riser and the light holder.

I really enjoyed the build and I enjoy riding it even more. It was my first such project involving so much electronics and battery work so I learned a lot (and that was the main purpose to be honest). Granda plata turned out great. It is big, but it fits my size (205cm/6’9’’, 110kg/240lbs, 49 EU/15 US shoe size) great. I am really happy that I decided to add carbon fiber to it since it added some stiffness and strength.

The board is powerful (even too powerful) and climbs hills with ease. The other day I did a climb test on a 5km climb (quite steep in some areas) and it performed great. I also did a range test - rode to a city nearby. It was a 32.5km, mostly flat with two minor climbs, trip and with a full charge at the beginning Davega showed around 10km of range left at the end.

I am also happy with the choice of wheels. 8’'s look really good in my opinion and are also very comfortable to ride. One would say that they are an overkill for mostly paved road riding, but it works really good.

32 Likes

For your first build, this is awesome.

Only thing I’d mention (and I’m sure someone will correct me on this) is that fusing the discharge wigs me out a little. That’s just me :man_shrugging:t2: Also consider the CF on the board may interfere with some stuff on the board.

im going to be starting my granda plata build soon. Can’t want. Do you find it needs more concave at high speed or is it okay?

Amazing work my man. Full kudos to you :grin::clap:

9 Likes

Not just you. Many, if not the majority thinks the same.

4 Likes

Yes, I am totally aware of that. The reason I decided to go with it is to prevent the battery from going kaboom if the ESC would go crazy or if there would be some other short. But on the other hand I am always nervous when I am going downhill and relying on electronics for breaking. I do ride mostly on relatively flat roads, so I should be OK if the fuse pops while riding. I am monitoring the currents on the battery (Davega is awesome for that!) and I’ve never went above 50A so the fuse should not pop under normal use.

So for now I decided to accept the downsides of the fuse with the full understanding of all the implications :man_shrugging:

What is CF?

I limited speed in VESC to 35kmh and it feels good at that speed. My feet feel securely locked in. Depending on your definition of “high speed” I guess :smiley:

Carbon fiber

1 Like

okay thank God hahaha

i think you’d have a higher likelihood of a battery failure or fuse break than the esc failing on you my man :blush:

Wow!!! That is nice, SOLID first build bro!

3 Likes

Ah! Could it interfere with remote etc.? So far I didn’t notice any issues.

2 Likes

Nice work man! Especially for a first build :+1:

3 Likes

The carbon fiber cage worries me, but otherwise this is a really impressive and well-though-out build! :smiley: I think the discharge fuse can stay, you are using a flipshit ESC after all :stuck_out_tongue:

What I don’t understand is why you don’t just buy a 12s charger off aliexpress :man_shrugging: Why bother with voltage boosting a lower voltage one?

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you do with the board’s lights in the future :slight_smile: I bet you will 3d-print some cool solution :smiley:

3 Likes

Echoing what others have said, damn nice first build!

5 Likes

Yeah, didn’t quite expect that, either. I would personally grab a YZPower off Ali instead of that setup.

2 Likes

Nice build. The first photo makes it look like the board is about 10 metres long :stuck_out_tongue::rofl:

2 Likes

nice build! Where did you get those hubs?

1 Like

They look like MBS rockstar pro hubs / clone hubs

Flipsky clone special

3 Likes

Mostly because it was laying around at home and because it was a bit of a challenge to see if I can make it work. I might update to a proper charger.

One reason I wanted to experiment with voltage booster is camper van charging. With voltage booster I can charge it directly from the van’s battery/solar system.

2 Likes

This :slight_smile:

Is this a forum height record?

Nice work.

5 Likes

Granda Plata is a penny board to him

5 Likes