My Esk8s. A journal of sorts

That’s the main reason I’m selling. On windy days, most of my routes are off limits since I don’t wanna end up in a ditch. The sides of my local trails are a solid drop off.

Most days here are windy, I live in a valley. :saluting_face:

1 Like

It’s interesting that on esk8 the wind is just a minor nuisance…
May not even feel the gusts…

On Onewheel you really feel a decrease in performance with a head wind, but I don’t get knocked off balance or anything

On EUC… It’s so sketchy and I think I am going to die…

It doesn’t seem to be an issue for me here that regularly fortunately.

I am guessing @Heathlewis rides his EX30 so fast he is just always cutting through the wind…

Heath, do you get hammered with gusts on those mountain roads?

1 Like

Honestly, the biggest issue with wind is while braking. That’s when I tend to go sideways. Otherwise it’s not that bad. The faster you’re going the less the wind impacts you, but the higher the stakes are if it screws you up. if that makes any sense

1 Like

Why wouldn’t belts work here?

1 Like

There goes the neighborhood…

Maybe.

Today I had my first sort of run in with a City Official on a trail while riding my EUC this afternoon.

This lady saw me rolling up the trail, and kinda stepped into the middle of the trail and waved me down.

I stopped, and sat down on the EUC to chat with her.

She proceeds to tell me that electric scooters are not allowed on the trails.

I had seen some blurb on Facebook by the Parks and Rec department to that effect, but could not find any actual rules…

But I expected this to happen some day.

I initially tried to be nice and said I had actually looked for rules, and could not find anything…
Which I did.

She said for years there have been lots of complaints about E-bikes and Rental scooters.

So now the only thing that is allowed is pedals assist bikes.

I did kinda start a discussion with her, and asked how come we can’t be like Arkansas, and about the people that really use trails to commute in…

She could not find the ordinance on the spot, and asked for my email which I gave her.

I was generally trying to be nice and polite, but I was also a bit defensive.

I asked about a possible forum for discussion, and she suggested I reach out to my City Council person…

I let her know how unfortunate I found the ruling to be, and limits peoples mobility, and yada yada yada.

And eventually said I was going to probably keep riding until they confiscate a few boards.

She said they will initially give a warning, but upon additional offenses you are banned.

So I may be getting banished in the future…

Even though this is a pretty progressive college town this certainly strikes me as an elitist type of approach, and I don’t expect the rules to change.

I don’t know what enforcement can look like, as there are only a couple of Park Rangers, and actual cops have too much on their plate possibly give this any priority.

So obviously I am going to keep doing what I am doing.

I do worry about signs going up, and the enablement of Karens…

I may even have a run into a Park Ranger…
It would be quite something if I in fact end up Banished…

I half expected that I may not get an email, as there May not actually be an ordinance…
But the email showed up.

It was nice meeting you today on the Grindstone Creek Trail (GCT). I appreciate you taking the time to stop and talk with me about City ordinances related to trail use. Per our discussion and at your request, the below information links to the City’s Code of Ordinances addressing the prohibited use of motor-propelled unicycles or other motor-propelled devices on City trails.

Division 9. CITY TRAILS

City Ord. Sec 17-140 - Definitions and rules of construction

City Ord. Sec. 17-141 - Trail use by cyclists; motor propelled scooters prohibited

Ord. Sec. 17-99 - Electrically-assisted pedal-powered cycle on designated trails

A full list of park and trail ordinances can be found here.

Human propulsion (pedaling or pushing) and fully operable pedals are important design features in addressing whether a device can legally be operated on the City of Columbia multi-use trails.

Please call if you’d like to discuss further (573) 441-5495.

Again, thank you for talking with me today. I appreciate your time and understanding.

Janet Godon"

I wonder if this language is clear enough to cover Esk8, Onewheels, and Electric Unicycles.

“Motor propelled scooter means any scooter, e-scooter and other small wheeled vehicle which does not rely solely on human propulsion and is equipped with an electric motor that is capable of propelling the device to a maximum speed of fifteen (15) miles per hour.”

Anyways…

Sucks.

Not the direction we want things to go right…

4 Likes

This is why I ride at 2:00 am these days. :cry:

3 Likes

I’d keep riding the trails and just turn the other way the next time Karen steps in front of you in the bike path

1 Like

Yeah.
I really don’t plan on doing anything different.

I was talking to my Onewheel buddy and he had a run in recently with a trails volunteer, that pulled his bike in front of him when he was on his Onewheel…

So it just sucks to have people enabled to be dicks…

But it will take many bad interactions, and escalation to make me quit taking the trails.

4 Likes

Janet… the new Karen

Despite being bummed about the new awareness of my ilegal status I went for a ride today at lunch.

And it was a gorgeous sunny day, and I ended up doing 25 miles on the Flux.

I have to say I really enjoy how quiet it runs.
Well, and how it runs in general.

This here may or may not be me breaking the Law!!!

A funny thought just crossed my head though.
When I ride the EUC, and sometimes on the Big Boards I wear the Kaly Predator full face helmet.

And I do feel awkward when I roll past pedestrians walking around, and I look like I am going to do a Nitro Circus back flip…

I feel way less awkward with the half shell.

7 Likes

On my next possible run in with a Karen I’m going to say that whatever I am riding is an EPMAD.

Which really they are.

2 Likes

I mostly blame the Chip and Seal…

The first day when I just rode the board in the parking garage they did great.
Sounded good.
Pretty quiet.
No skipping.

As soon as I started getting out in the neighborhood I had all kinds of rocks getting in there.
Some big enough to move the motor…
And even had a Belt break.

1 Like

How good is your push?

It’s not an esk8, it’s an electric assist mountainboard. I push primarily but need the assist when I’m tired.

1 Like

I think the max 20mph speed thing kills your EPMAD argument. But, fuck them. As long as you ride safely and courteously I can’t see anyone actually forcing you to stop. The Karen’s will bitch, but if you send them a good 24s6p powered vibrator you’ll never hear from them again.

3 Likes

I wondered why Bill has been so quiet lately

1 Like

We hung out at the playground yesterday after school.

So I rolled around on the Gravel Flux.

The tennis courts hit a bit different on 9 inch MBS tires compared to 80mm kegels…

Still fun.

What I ended up doing was riding in there switch stance a bunch.
That is so hard to do on the Gravel Flux…

But I did do it for quite a bit and it really is an interesting mental and physical exercise!

It was less intimidating doing it in the tennis courts than out on the road.

Then something weird happened.
Which I think was Z-mote related.
Or maybe Vesc weirdness… I don’t know…

But I stopped for a second and Max asked to ride on the board.
20240201_155954_1
I pushed it to about 70 feet away and Stopped it and he got off.

But after that, the board was locked up, and the remote would not respond…

There was actual resistance on the wheel.

When I turned the Z-mote on it would flash Blue, then start blinking Red.
I think kind of how it does is the board is off. And the receiver is not on.

I don’t have a power button on this board and could not power cycle it…

And I was able to run detection on Vesc, but not set up the input…

I am. Not sure it the Z-mote got out of Range and went to a locked up mode.

Maybe, maybe… The remote battery was low.
But charging it alone did not get it to respond.

So I had to get my wife to rescue me in the minivan.

And after getting home I went for a sunset Onewheel ride.

After I got home I turned the board back on, ran input set up, it saw the remote, and everything was acting normal.

So that is good.
But I still hate mystery shit.
Luckily we were just down the road, and the rescue was easy.

1 Like

The little dude is feeling your tune @Soflo

3 Likes

This young rager has a bunch of cool toys in his future. Just grab one off the wall!

3 Likes

One of these days Bill.

3 Likes