Mountainboarding Questions (Safety Gear, Riding Techniques, etc.)

But you’ll get twisted like a wet towel in case of an accident.

Just roll with it.
You can’t do that with one foot in the bindings and the other free.

I had a little experience fully strapped on…

1 Like

I like the form fitting and thinness of these. I think they’d stay put when falling offroad. They’re not super hard looking so road falls might suck but I hate big chunky elbow pads.

Anyone use sleeve type pads and want to chime in?

Christmas list time.

Considering these as well.

1 Like

I have the G-form ones, haven’t actually worn them when I came off, but they’re comfortable enough. Think they’re ideal for speeds under 30mph / 45kph.

I’ve recently gotten this beauty and have been learning to drift/slide or at least trying too…how do you keep from falling and twisting your ankles all the time? I do 10 minute sessions every day on the green in the middle of my campus, it’s got grassy areas that are 50’x100’

4 Likes

I don’t lock my feet all the way in. Like one or two ratchets less than what you are currently using. A lot of it is learning to fall with the board too. It’s just an extension of you if you get locked in.

2 Likes

I can slide my feet out only of they are slightly angled, is that right? I’ve got size 8.5 Vans so it’s probably much smaller than what most people use

And you want to fall out of the board when you loose control?

Personally I’d rather roll with the board, particularly off road. But on pavement I keep them a bit looser so I can hop out easily.

MTBs are like snowboards. If one foot falls out you’re fucked in a crash. I learned that not long ago.(Not happened to me yet.)

For me I’d like to be locked in all the time. There is no difference, if you’re off- or onroad, I think.

1 Like

On road I slide too much if I crash and can’t roll well is my only differentiation there.

I can’t go on public road yet, cuz you know the situation.

2 Likes

You just too slowly :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Like 6 skatan’s a hour max.

1 Like

Yeah or toooo slowly than to be legal

By foot then or 300 on the A5

1 Like

Heelstraps :grin:
I didn’t use heelstraps the first year but now I can’t ride without them. The secret is jumping. Normally if you lose balance e.g. on an askew hill you step out of the binding with 1 foot to prevent falling. With heelstraps you just drop like a stone and feel like an idiot. Well before losing balance you need to jump or lift the front wheels and correct your position. This technique also prevents many falls during riding.

Falling with heelstraps sucks so better have proper protection but your knees are safe against twisting and you gonna fall way less after you got used to them.

In the beginning I also tried sliding without heelstraps but that can lead to you standing in socks in mud while your shoes still strapped on the board :laughing:

I highly recommend HiTop shoes, much much better control and grip

6 Likes

I use it on college campus so I’m hoping in and out about 20 times a day, won’t heel straps get in the way at that point?

Definitely need new shoes though, the soles are getting pretty thin on these

1 Like

My last trip in the forest.

3 Likes

That’s a valid point, of course it needs some time to open/close them.

1 Like