Motor shaft wear [Serious]

I had access to a full machine shop - Lathe, mill, the works.

Unfortunately I no longer work at that place, so my options have been significantly reduced.

1 Like

You produce a similar result with a dremel + THIN cutoff blade, a tungsten tile cutting bit, a drill + 8mm bearing clamped in vise (ghetto lathe). It would take much much more time and patience, but will give a working shaft.

2 Likes

Another example from a guy on the lacroix facebook group:

3 Likes

OMG! I think the loctite 680 worked this time. I got a 20mile ride in and it held up nicely. no nasty metal hornets nest noises. we’ll see how this holds up over time.

I did a more liberal application of loctite. Instead of trying to wick it in, I put it on the bearing directly then wiped the motor shaft clean after it went through. also reapplied to the outer rotor/bell bearing.

3 Likes

Also probably importantly I gave it more time to cure. ( 5 days, for other reasons. )

And… that’s sage advice.

5 Likes

rains and other things have keep me from riding much. but with another 20mi or so. I think the noise is starting to return. we’ll see as I get more miles on it.

2 Likes

and another one: from a lacroix jaws. (not mine) same problem

fwiw, I expect this one would get replaced under waranty. it’s about 9mo old.

bump hows the 680 holdin’ up?

sadly some noise has come back. but it’s not as bad as it was. so jury’s still out.

1 Like

i wonder if 680 might be too thick and goopy to stay where it needs to be when you slide the shaft in?

when you took pix of the caliper looks like a 0.07mm gap

well I think i got a good coating. and I’d have to double check now. but I read the application sheet for 680 and I thought It seemed appropriate for that amount of gap.

1 Like

i was looking at this customer-facing selection guide they had published, and it suggests a less viscous retaining compound for this application

i’m talking out of my ass, i don’t have experience with any of these adhesives

1 Like

so 648? or where’d that thinking land you?

1 Like

Another 6374 motor from a prototipo. this one was a replacement. I made a note on my todo list to preemptively loctite the bearing.

The wear is visible. but not enough to cause play yet. so I think i’m rescuing this one in the nick of time.

1 Like

If you put force on the bell (while in motor), can you feel it moving laterally? I feel like i fucked a motor in just 2 days with a tight belt and uncentered wheel pulley…
Also, how does it sound like, loaded in a build and ridden?

1 Like

Yes, but not on this most recent one. definitely on the earlier ones i posted in this thread. it starts making noise and that’s how I found these problems. I think it’s better to apply loctite before it’s bad enough to have play.

1 Like

Did you ever manage to pull out the exterior bearing(and put one that has rubber gasket instead)?
I swear the rattling is driving me crazy, and it’s only there when free rolling. It has to be the bearing as well…

I do this to every motor. 2RS/LLB seals much better than shielded. As long as it’s still a high speed seal (not LLU), should be no problem with friction etc. Keeps dust out better.

2 Likes

I haven’t learned or acquired the tools to replace the bearings.

I think I was about to get to this point with my APS80100 :

I’ll put Loctite 648 there when re-assembling

1 Like