Motor shaft wear [Serious]

well I think i got a good coating. and I’d have to double check now. but I read the application sheet for 680 and I thought It seemed appropriate for that amount of gap.

1 Like

i was looking at this customer-facing selection guide they had published, and it suggests a less viscous retaining compound for this application

i’m talking out of my ass, i don’t have experience with any of these adhesives

1 Like

so 648? or where’d that thinking land you?

1 Like

Another 6374 motor from a prototipo. this one was a replacement. I made a note on my todo list to preemptively loctite the bearing.

The wear is visible. but not enough to cause play yet. so I think i’m rescuing this one in the nick of time.

1 Like

If you put force on the bell (while in motor), can you feel it moving laterally? I feel like i fucked a motor in just 2 days with a tight belt and uncentered wheel pulley…
Also, how does it sound like, loaded in a build and ridden?

1 Like

Yes, but not on this most recent one. definitely on the earlier ones i posted in this thread. it starts making noise and that’s how I found these problems. I think it’s better to apply loctite before it’s bad enough to have play.

1 Like

Did you ever manage to pull out the exterior bearing(and put one that has rubber gasket instead)?
I swear the rattling is driving me crazy, and it’s only there when free rolling. It has to be the bearing as well…

I do this to every motor. 2RS/LLB seals much better than shielded. As long as it’s still a high speed seal (not LLU), should be no problem with friction etc. Keeps dust out better.

2 Likes

I haven’t learned or acquired the tools to replace the bearings.

I think I was about to get to this point with my APS80100 :

I’ll put Loctite 648 there when re-assembling

1 Like

more shaft wear spotted in the n00b thread.

2 Likes

I think this fix of applying loctite 680 is holding up fairly well. It did quiet down and then get noisier after the fix. but it hasn’t continued to get worse and subjectively I think it’s doing better than before the fix.

applied to both bearing on gear side. and the outer bell bearing that this nazaré motor has.

not super science. but worth an update.

I find the stuff generally holds really well unless u don’t clean the surfaces well before applying.

Acetone or alcohol

Someone somewhere on this site posted a pic of how they’d …knarled their axle so the bearing had an interference fit. He’d done it on the hanger axle so the wheel bearings were solid and didn’t rattle. I forgot the the term and it’s not knarling. Something like that. Forming ridges on the axle increasing its diameter slightly. Nicer than glue and permanent

1 Like

Knurling. sounds gnarly. :smiley:

1 Like

Looks like an easy solution for any loose fit bearings.

Galling maybe

Just another hypothesis

I think it has to do with the bearings tolerances. I replaced both bearings from my motors, one of them had a bit of wear, and in both the external face bearing was in way too tight, to the point that the new bearings weren’t spinning freely, I machined a bit the bearing seat until if was a nice fit

Both of the face bearings were completely destroyed, the two internal ones were without line but the balls were good, and in them the tolerances were much better

2 Likes

wanted to take apart one of these motor’s that I loctited to inspect it (for other reasons) it was a bit of a pain in the butt. with the bearings coming out of their seats even though I tried getting heat to them.

Hey look those boosted motor issues, some of them were exactly this motor shaft wear.

from this video. pretty fun watch.

in the video the guy ended up cutting the pulley off.
makes his own replacement shaft. and replaces the bearings.

1 Like

long bump, for posterity,

at some point after all this. I learned a lot of the buzzing bees noise with these types of motors was the can rattling against this outer bearing.

I resorted to putting a bit of kapton tape on them as a “short term fix” I think i did three small segments 60° apart and it totally solved the problem. until the point I switched out to some reachers, and then also started riding other boards a lot more.

The play allowing that to happen could still be the motor shaft wear. but… the noise was definitely the can against this outer bearing.