Motor Heatsink Development

Lol my motors run hot AF right now. LIke 80C. should be enough seeing as ambient is maybe half that even here in socal summer

@Helno , heatpipes contain vapor right? so id I drill through them, they wont work correct?

1 Like

If your stators are overheating you probably should go to the next larger size of motor or go with an open motor rather than sealed.

Overheating a motor will wear it out just as much as dirt and dust.

Heatpipes contain a low boiling point liquid so yea leaks destroy them.

1 Like

Yes, I already have 6384 on order.

I am moving from 6374 open to 6384 sealed. I ā€œneedā€ sealed because of dirt and dust on trails around here.

Something else to keep in mind is gearing and phase current. Heat in the stator increases with the square of stator current. So if you can sacrifice some top speed to have lower torque while accelerating you wont need a novel cooling solution.

This is why industrial motors are so massive. Huge casing with a large fan so you can have a totally enclosed motor that runs at full load for decades at high ambient temperatures.

5 Likes

Ah but I want a novel cooling solution

And yes I understand lowering gearing is the easy solution. THe number of hoops Im jumping through to keep my 9" tires is getting to be a bit ridiculous

1 Like

I feel yah, Iā€™m aiming to run my ā€œ3kwā€ hub at 12kw lol

3 Likes

My thermal dynamics class tells the same story but there are always micro details I forget so I just wait for real life data.

1 Like

Time to upgrade to 80100s. Comes with stator water cooling.

5 Likes

swoon

1 Like

showimage main-qimg-1a4f0ba57f9e29b60b94b342b697e713

Pouring one out for shartsisā€¦

3 Likes

I just had a @Shart water-bottle flash back

2 Likes

at one point from racing airplanes to racing sailboats they used to wax the surface to make it slip thru the mediumā€¦ then through science a ā€œshark-skinā€ surface was applied to create a ā€œstickyā€ boundary layer of airā€¦ air to air, or water to water is much slipperier that any other mediumā€¦

1 Like

I recently learned about this when my neighbor was talking about swim team costs and mentioned it. Very interesting stuff I originally dismissed as marketing.

1 Like

Now only if that had a small pump inside and use oil for cooling the motor and a geardrive as a heatsink lol

2 Likes

This is basically the idea I has except just build in a watercooling loop into the mounts.

@iamasalmon I got 8 bc they look cool.

The 4wd can get fairly warm, but at that point, Iā€™m running in to heating up the lipos beyond what I prefer. I donā€™t think sinks have a use for 4wd+ Set ups.

2 Likes

Arz,

whatcher guess on the weight of the 8-motor board?

I know you donā€™t give two-fukks, but iā€™m curious like datā€¦

Guys you have my attention

Weight approaching 60ish.

2 Likes