Motor Heatsink Development

Ebike guys had the same problem as us

Worth reading, with data on a bunch of approaches

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48753

4 Likes

M Diy approach would be taking some generic heatsink , getting it red hot and wrapping it around a pipe. So two halves at a time. shave some fins off for mounting/gripping.

1 Like

I definitely have been. I have gearing for 45mph and my little maytech 6374s get hot as hell (80c) and then start acting funny (no mo towk) thatā€™s why I bring it up. I needs to keep up with the local Onyx employees

4 Likes

Good point. My initial test manufacturing method would require the two halves solution.
A single sleeve is much nicer for balancing.

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting. I think Iā€™ll start my polishing up the interfaces on the mount//stator and making sure I get nice thermal flow.

1 Like

Aluminum quickly goes from solid to puddle. I donā€™t think it would be easy to heat it up enough to soften it for bending without it melting.

2 Likes

THAT would be an interesting test to do!
Flat, absolutely parallel surfaces are the most important but after that the smoothness counts a lot. A very, very thin film of thermal paste can help if the surfaces are touching well.

1 Like

How true is it that itā€™s the can vs stator that gets hot? @Battery_Mooch @RyEnd. Is this from experience or just what youā€™ve heard?

The stator is where all the heat is generated. With mostly nothing but air (a poor conductor) gap between the rotor and stator, most of the heat is transferred through the shaft/motor-face/motor-plate.

1 Like

right right. I understand that part. Im just asking ā€œwhats your sourceā€ Im not saying your wrong. Im just trying to really verify this info.

So, if you think about it, where would the heat from the rotor come from? Itā€™s just spinning through the air on a bearing. Current is only flowing through the windings in the stator in order to generate the magnetic field to spin the rotor, some of that energy is lost as heat, produced from the windings themselves.

2 Likes

So youre reasoning it? Ok totally fair. I tend to agree intuitively. I always like to know where my info is coming from is all! please dont take it personally.

It makes sense what youre saying. and Im no power engineer. But in Microwave (not for food, think 5g) engineering losses can occur in the dielectric (air in this case). Not to account for eddy current, hysterises losses, stray loss and what not. stray losses are literally parts of the EM not going to force, but directly heating the surrounding metal (think microwave, this time food kind)

Ill read a few sources and get back to you. Sorry to doubt you, please dont take it personally.
http://www.icrepq.com/PONENCIAS/4.320.ANDRADA.pdf

2 Likes

Iā€™m just simplifying. The vast majority of heat is generated in this way.

2 Likes

6061 T0 with a thin motor interface less than 2mm would be easy enough to bend

1 Like

This exists for bike hubs already and turbulent airflow has been found to be more effective at heat dissipation than laminar. Iā€™ve got a set of HubSinks Iā€™m installing in my bike today, one of the big issues and one that can be solved in a sealed hub is the air gap by filling with a ferrofluid, in esk8 thatā€™s not really possible, we donā€™t have motors completely sealed.

https://hubsink.com/

4 Likes

stator gets HOTā€¦ all my DDs Iā€™ve added artic sliver thermal paste on the axle/stator interfaceā€¦

I havenā€™t scienced itā€¦ because of the awful thermal filtering on FW5.01, but they feel coolerā€¦

like me

5 Likes

Not mine, but saw recently (NZ)

4 Likes

Their science is reasonable but that 18Ā°C difference is in the stator? Or the surface? Makes a big difference. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

this is literally exactly what I was thinking.

but Ive had an idea. IM pretty conviced Stator is main heat source. @RyEnd <3 @kook

Now I want to try something like this:, but flatter (3mm) and with holes such that it fits between motor and mount

3 Likes

That looks KooLā€¦ but Iā€™d rather have 6mm more motor diameter than 6mm of finsā€¦

thatā€™s just my way

3 Likes