Motor discussion: the best and worst of it all

@longhairedboy you build with unities? I wasn’t expecting that… what kind of reliability have you had from those?

BTW, @mmaner is liking the new Flipsky Smart switch that @Gamer43 helped redesign with precharge.

7 Likes

I don’t actually have the FlipSky version, I have the one @Gamer43 hand built. I’m waiting in him to do a group buy to get anymore, let him make some money.

8 Likes

Flipsky sent me a couple of them, I haven’t had time to adequately test them because school sucks.

They survived my mountianboard so far, I hope during the holiday I can bring my boards with me and test them extensively.

8 Likes

It’s entirely gratifying to receive these replies the day after I bought an official Flipsky version Smart Switch.

5 Likes

Lol, you should read more :grin:

1 Like

How high are you running these, how many amps are you pushing. Every esc is great on the forum until we race them 40mph uphill

2 Likes

9 Likes

You have never been 40 mph up hill you fibber.

Video proof or I’ll ban you for setting a bad example

10 Likes

I only have videos of me doing 60 uphill

10 Likes

Stop it Pinocchio.

(thats really hard to spell)

6 Likes

Haha idk actually I wonder how many mph going uphill takes off, say if my board is geared for 45mph and I go full throttle uphill, how much do I lose to gravity

1 Like

I have a speed sensor warning sign on my local street. Uphill I can not break 60k’s on the way down it gives me sad face at half throttle. Think about adding serious weight to your rig and body and taking off some voltage. It makes a big difference. I gear all my builds to rip uphill so I can then swoop back down under gravity. Like a ski lift because there is nothing more satisfying than hard acceleration up hill. Feels awesome.

7 Likes

Decent. I’ve been using them since I beta tested them. There’s a video of me running motor detection on a known shorted motor somewhere on youtube. Recently though three of them have hit the bin but for the most part no complaints. Bioboards uses them too. They simplyify everything. I’m not looking forward to going back to mosfet switches and discreet controllers with a larger footprint but whatever. Shit happens.

4 Likes

My customers don’t race. I know this sounds crazy but my target demographic isn’t the elite niche performance market. ITs people who want to destroy other boards on casual group rides and in their local areas and want their personal flavor all over their ride. My value add is aesthetic and battery options and after purchase service.

I run them typically at 60-70 battery amps, anywhere form 65 to 75 motor amps, -30 regen. They handle it great, so far so good.

What are you running? WTF is everyone else running if the unity is shit now?

11 Likes

Haha nah unity is my fav it’s the only esc that has been the most reliable, 70 batt ain’t bad. I’d be curious how they do over 85/90

They can handle 100 battery amps but maximum settings aren’t for using, they’re to provide a guide for actual settings. Typically reliability can be found at 75% or less of stated capacity (in anything, not just here) so that’s where I usually land. Overbuild.

Jake cooked a unity in 3 days. So yeah, anything can be cooked on maxxed out setting, even a unity. I have a feeling the people killing them are the “hold my beer” type.

10 Likes

My kinda people

8 Likes

I’m just very skeptical now after the maytech 100a disaster, they’re not very good…

3 Likes

Ive killed everything I’ve tried. Looking for something a little more robust… I like to ride 35mph+ I guess I need to give the unity a try and throw a fat heat sink on it.
Really considering those superfoc 6.8 too.

2 Likes