Motor discussion: the best and worst of it all

Yeah basically, everything in eskate is hit or miss…some batches are spectacular and some are just crap. It’s still luck of the draw to some degree

1 Like

At work we use brushless DC motors with Hall sensors that are tested to the point that they are practically guaranteed to work. We also pay > $100,000 apiece for them. I can risk a failure on my skateboard.

7 Likes

woah… that explains a lot

It seems one topic @Brenternet mentioned has not yet been discussed. Battle Hardening. I’m very intrigued as to
what it is,
what it does,
how it’s done,
its advantages,
its disadvantages,
Anything pertinent that would help me or future readers

2 Likes

Its basically just the act of using extra epoxy to secure the magnets and stator. While you’re in there you conformal coat everything and you end up with a pretty solid motor.

15 Likes

What @Brenternet said, plus
The light white - an eMTB jump story

1 Like

any tips/do’s/don’ts for conformal coating?

1 Like

@b264

Get fucking ready my friend

5 Likes

Don’t get it inside USB jacks. Do get it as close as possible to inside the jack.

1 Like

What about Fets?

1 Like

Yep, need it there

I only have the APS 6384S Motor which is really strong - however I had the hall sensors failing two times and now run it sensorless. Also some APS Motors (mine as well) are known to create a loud high pitched noise when reaching their upper RPM’s… I got used to it and think it’s kinda cool like a supercharger turbo noise… :stuck_out_tongue:

Then I had 3x Maytech 6374 Motors… No issues with any of them… they seem to be quite solid and are a lot of fun - also no noise on those…

Did anyone have magnets fall off on any of their motors ? I just watched the other video and not sure if I also should do the epoxy reinforcement…

4 Likes

I just tried the @torqueboards 170Kv 6380 and for a single motor skate, this is by far the best motor I’ve tried.

7 Likes

I don’t know how APS performs now, but the 2 6374s (sesonrless) I bought almost 7 years ago and have literally been through hell are still going strong.

2 Likes

Who battle hardens their motors? Is it worthwhile? Common?

By what metric? What are we comparing it to? :smiley:

Quite a few people are doing it now, I know @Sender and @Andy87 have done a bunch recently with good results. @torqueboards is also having his come out the factory “battle hardened”, to what extent I’m not sure.

Dex could you post a picture of the stator and magnets of one of yours that has come stock out the factory? It would be good to see how they are done please.

9 Likes

compared to the other ones I’ve tried… sealed Maytech 6374, older TB6374, TB6355, Racerstar 5065, Dark Matter 6374, KEDA 6364

For single motor drive, the TB6380 is so far the best by far in my experience

2 Likes

Awesomesause!

Only issue I had with my older generation TB motors were that none had loctite on the axle grub screws so they would always eventually get loose. I added green loctite to all of them and none have come loose again.

Also had one magnet retainer come loose so a few drops of green loctite fixed that too

1 Like