Motor burnt out... Manufacturing error or Stormcore issue?

Oh I see… Alex is a good boss but slow on support responses. Charles is always the man you want and need

3 Likes

Still waiting on a reply :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@Flasher
LaCroix is losing big points with me now that I see this thread again…
Not even a reply?
@pjotr47 is one of our trusted members, how can this happen unless you guys also don’t know whats wrong…

I smell fish

3 Likes

I smell probably hundreds of customer support emails per week, limited staff, limited time, limited capacity to promptly deal with every single inquiry.

Not saying it’s ideal, just saying what I smell.

1 Like

It’s been a while now…

What do you mean? Charles personally sent you an email

I replied to Charles on Monday 22/11… @Flasher

1 Like

just talked to him. he says he doesn’t understand how your emails aren’t getting to him. So he’ll get in contact with you via this forum instead so it doesn’t continue happening.

Ok time to go public…

Lacroix response:

I have just learned you were using a 20S battery when we clearly advise not to go above 18S on the Stormcore. Given this situation, there is nothing we will be able to do in the circumstances. Had I known about this piece of information before, we would have saved a lot of time. I assumed you were running the Stormcore within the recommended voltage.

Thanks and ride safe,

I am very shocked about this in the premium segment. I get even more warranty on an esc of a xiaomi scooter of 300€.

All parts on the stormcore can handle 84V from a 20s battery fine. Running one on another board for over 1year on 20s with no trouble.

Also @Flashgod224 feel free to explain why one stormcore on my 4WD don’t act crazy and the other does

8 Likes

I’m surprised at that. Do I remember correctly that you were one of the first to receive a 100D because you had proposed a 20S build?

Hey Pjotr,

I’ll give you my brief lookover all of this. I don’t hop on often but please understand that I do all my support under our email/support platforms, not through my personal accounts.

I can’t tell or diagnose where the error came from on your board exactly. Since early on we gave our recommended limits with our Stormcore’s, going over the values is always at your own risk. It’s the same risks that come with programming your own Stormcore with VESC Tool (They also have disclaimers when you first download the tool and imbedded with it). That being said it’s very difficult to know what went wrong in your board.

I can’t fathom to tell how many tries it takes prototyping to make as best of a board possible, if a part fails there is always a reason and understanding of how you use a product. There are always limitations. Personally I did DIY before, I know how you feel about this situation. From my perspective I would have a different/understanding reaction for this issue you had altogether (again that’s just my opinion if I was dealing with a seller about it).

If you did not agree with Alex about this, I would further discuss with him details on why you’d like this corrected differently. It was not my judgement call. Again we do support through our emails. We do not through the forums or social platforms. I do apologize if it’s not the answer you seek, but these types of answers come with great understanding from both sides to come to a resolution that is fair.

C.

6 Likes

When I look at your website it clearly states 84V. Coincidentally a fully charged 20S battery is 84V. :wink: . I was also on the test list in March 2020. Then the stormcore 100d was described as the 100V variant. Iit was clearly told ideally above 13S but no more than 20S.

When I repair someone’s board or build a battery for someone, the customer also expects the best quality. If there is any problem, I always try to solve it asap.

Sorry to say this but I expect a slightly higher service with premium products for a premium price.
I would prefer to exchange this current stormcore 100D for a new one. I don’t want to get two new 6374 engines, but one would be really nice.

No problem, but I can’t wait months for answers. I hate describing my problem over and over again.

3 Likes

Again this is not the conversation I need to have here, this is something to further discuss with Alex. I would inquire about it and get back at him with this sort of information if you want to get things done… Esk8 news is not our support platform!! I come here only time to time to socialize, have good convos/vibes and do my best to keep the peace.

Obviously something is wrong with how this was handled and making things right as possible is something at Lacroix we look to achieve. Email him back let’s look to yielding better results. I’ll make sure Alex is aware of this as well.

2 Likes

Time to come back to this topic…

12Feb we had rented a Kart track. I did like 20rounds without any problem. Out off nowhere on a straight track the left front motor locked. I had a hard fall with some torn clothes and a muscle tear in my ankle.

Today I had some time to inspect all the logs…

Log from 12Feb: Feb 12, 2022 - metr.at | xsQtq
Everything looks pretty fine in the graph until I see the part of my fall (11:28) (zoom: Feb 12, 2022 - metr.at | xsQtq)

Now that I’m at it, I immediately looked at my old logs
JUL19: burned motor 1 (Jul 19, 2021 - metr.at | Apun2)

SEP13: burned motor 2 (Sep 13, 2021 - metr.at | ZdIG9)

Between JUL19 and SEP13 it clearly visible that it is 2 times the same side on a stormcore that fails. (2x right rear). After this I completely swapped the unit. Back in front and vice versa. On the go-kart track, the front left motor was locked… Ra ra ra which side of the vesc would that be?

A stomcore 100D cost 420euro. Alex offer me 20% discount for a new unit… The average chinese gives me even better guarantee

9 Likes

Shit, man! I didn’t even know that happened! Sorry to hear you were hurt and especially sorry that you’re still struggling with this issue.

When the trust is gone, it’s all over.

2 Likes

I’m glad it was on the long track at the top. It was really right in the middle of the track. The first hours of the fall I didn’t have that much trouble with my foot but in the evening, I could barely walk. Now walking is fine again but I have to watch how I sometimes fold my foot…

Unfortunately it is so. I don’t dare to push the board to the max at the moment.

All I ask of Lacroix is to take their responsibility. I am happy to just exchange this unit with a replacement.
I would hate to pay 420 *0.8= 336 euro for a new stormcore after that I paid twice 200 euro for a new motor.

4 Likes

I must admit I am really happy I didn’t go with the Stormcore as I was contemplating to do at one point.

1 Like

Are you still running 20s?

1 Like

I do! If 20s runs perfect on 3 other Stormcores. I don’t see why to go 18s because one has some troubles.

Also last problem on the kart track was on 73,4V (so even on 18s voltage).

Funny thing is that I am not the only one complaining about the Stormcores. Some guys on Facebook have problems too.

1 Like

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I wonder if anyone else has ever experienced a motor forcefully locking up on a stormcore, even when the remote is in neutral. Sounds like if I had not moved my motor 1 pole forward by hand manually, I would have had a burnt winding just like @pjotr47 D: