Motor burnt out... Manufacturing error or Stormcore issue?

Time to come back to this topic…

12Feb we had rented a Kart track. I did like 20rounds without any problem. Out off nowhere on a straight track the left front motor locked. I had a hard fall with some torn clothes and a muscle tear in my ankle.

Today I had some time to inspect all the logs…

Log from 12Feb: Feb 12, 2022 - metr.at | xsQtq
Everything looks pretty fine in the graph until I see the part of my fall (11:28) (zoom: Feb 12, 2022 - metr.at | xsQtq)

Now that I’m at it, I immediately looked at my old logs
JUL19: burned motor 1 (Jul 19, 2021 - metr.at | Apun2)

SEP13: burned motor 2 (Sep 13, 2021 - metr.at | ZdIG9)

Between JUL19 and SEP13 it clearly visible that it is 2 times the same side on a stormcore that fails. (2x right rear). After this I completely swapped the unit. Back in front and vice versa. On the go-kart track, the front left motor was locked… Ra ra ra which side of the vesc would that be?

A stomcore 100D cost 420euro. Alex offer me 20% discount for a new unit… The average chinese gives me even better guarantee

9 Likes

Shit, man! I didn’t even know that happened! Sorry to hear you were hurt and especially sorry that you’re still struggling with this issue.

When the trust is gone, it’s all over.

2 Likes

I’m glad it was on the long track at the top. It was really right in the middle of the track. The first hours of the fall I didn’t have that much trouble with my foot but in the evening, I could barely walk. Now walking is fine again but I have to watch how I sometimes fold my foot…

Unfortunately it is so. I don’t dare to push the board to the max at the moment.

All I ask of Lacroix is to take their responsibility. I am happy to just exchange this unit with a replacement.
I would hate to pay 420 *0.8= 336 euro for a new stormcore after that I paid twice 200 euro for a new motor.

4 Likes

I must admit I am really happy I didn’t go with the Stormcore as I was contemplating to do at one point.

1 Like

Are you still running 20s?

1 Like

I do! If 20s runs perfect on 3 other Stormcores. I don’t see why to go 18s because one has some troubles.

Also last problem on the kart track was on 73,4V (so even on 18s voltage).

Funny thing is that I am not the only one complaining about the Stormcores. Some guys on Facebook have problems too.

1 Like

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I wonder if anyone else has ever experienced a motor forcefully locking up on a stormcore, even when the remote is in neutral. Sounds like if I had not moved my motor 1 pole forward by hand manually, I would have had a burnt winding just like @pjotr47 D: