Morpheus | Backpack MTB | Refined Commuter

The dangle exposure is real! Thanks for asking for this mate, it’s the first time I’ve seen it from a 3rd person view. I’m doing some work right now (mid commute) to get it tucked in closer to my back leg.

10 Likes

…and fixed with the cable exiting just above the hip belt on the right hand side of my backpack.

FWIW I rode like this the second half of my commute, with no problems due to the new cable routing.

Also, didn’t want to take my ass-selfies in public, so the photos were taken in the office.

9 Likes

I like that new routing style better.

Every time I have something hanging I get it stuck to something. Ripped countless earphones cables this way.

4 Likes

If I wanted to, I could attach it to my leg and never worry about dangle, with cable relief and disconnect at the backpack as well, but then I’d have a cable attached to me.

In fact, I might just do this to confuse the kiddies even more.

2 Likes

if I used this I would have ripped something out of somewhere in about 15mins

@Tamatoa I go thru multiple sets of earphones per month lol

5 Likes

Which is why it got promptly fixed, and will be improved over time to become completely snag proof (e.g. running it next to my leg or inside my pants leg).

2 Likes

You could make on or two straps which goes around your leg to hold the wires (with a small loop for the wires). You can even use a magnetic clasp for it, so that in case of a fall the strap will come loose easily and wont cause everything to rip apart at the connections.

7 Likes

Good idea with the magnets, but I wouldn’t worry about the connections, they’re MT60 and only held in place with friction.

Stress relief is already provided to them with a combination of plastic zip ties, making the wires longer than the casing they’re in, using hot glue within wire shrink wrap on the ends to keep it all together, and mounting plates board side.

Remember I had to think about system longevity and survivability while designing it all, so designed it to unplug the board in case of a fall.

2 Likes

Well thought through I see, good job!

1 Like

…and tested, sometimes unwillingly, but I can confirm the unplugging from the board works as designed! :rofl:

3 Likes

Doode that looks awesome. Imagine the range on one of those

6 Likes

Thanks bro! Didn’t know about the Stihl backpack.

1 Like

@Haeroboards that’s a 36V (10S) 29.3Ah backpack! Wonder what cells they use?

I really don’t know but I found something bikers using

Klaus has one :+1:

1 Like

Those prices though! :rofl:

Did you check what happens if you unplug the motors under full load? For example if you crash.

1 Like

If the crash isn’t caused by a short in the motors than they should just spin out and not lock up.

2 Likes

But I guess it could kill the ESC, couldn’t it? At least mine came with a warning to never unplug any phase cables under load (or if powered on at all) because it might result in damage.

2 Likes