Morpheus | Backpack MTB | Refined Commuter

From the comparison here, there’s good reason to consider the MJ1.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

Not only higher cycle life, but more capacity will have me charging less.

Also, I’ll be running at least 12S9P and need up to 80A current out of the battery.

2 Likes

80 or 160? I thought you were shooting for 160

1 Like

80A battery and 160A combined motor current.

2 Likes

Mj1 12s9p will only give you 90a continuous, i expect you might see a little sag with that setup.

1 Like

How so if I only require 80A? Might have to go 12P then?

It depends how you ride. Just because something is rated for 10a continuous, doesn’t mean you won’t see voltage sag at 7a

3 Likes

Yeah, I do have a 26 degree hill to my driveway, and my Evolve BGT sagging up that hill was why I got into DIY in the first place.

out of curiosity, why solder a bullet to another bullet and not replace the smaller bullet?

3 Likes

Unwillingness to alter the Unity? I’m making an XT90 female to XT60 female adapter for the same reason tonight.

well the original bullet is kinda ruined anyway if you fill it with solder, so why not replace

Didn’t fill it with solder, I created 6 adapters that go 6.5mm female to 3.5mm male, to bridge between my 1.5m phase leads and the Unity phase leads. Then I plugged the adapters into the 1.5m phase leads and put heatshrink over them, with overlap to cover the 3.5mm females on the Unity end when plugged in.

2 Likes

Just to double check, you understood that the batt max value at the unity is combined for both sides, so not like with single escs.
So 80A bat max per side on single escs equals 160A total bat max.
Your unity settings would equal 40A bat max and 80A motor max than.

…why? There’s no such thing as a warranty for them, and if we don’t have something better and as convenient as them a year from now… community has bigger issues :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

2 Likes

I’m curious how you got 90a from a 9p pack. What cells are these? 10A per cell?

1 Like

I mean, I’ve been there BB. I think most with first batch unities have… and learned it was kinda just a tedious waste of time. Bulky too :open_mouth:

2 Likes

For something that’s still in development (my backpack platform) and subject to more changes in the near future, there’s something to be said for modularity and plug-n-play.

Plus, I get more soldering practice, which is never a bad thing.

1 Like

Lg MJ1 are indeed 10a cells. 3500mah tho.

Sag you will always have, the problem we talk about sag is it hit the voltage cut of the VESC and start to throttle down

Simply use lower values for it, most cells are rated to 2.5 V, so do something starting at 2.6 V and ending at 2.5 V, under load it dipping that low there is no problem, it would be great for you to have a voltage monitor and don’t let it go under 3 V resting voltage

The voltage based cut off of the VESC is far from ideal for our use case

2 Likes

Soldered my XT90 female to XT60 female tonight, and did my backpack integration. I’ll hook it up tomorrow night after I’ve set up the Unity and metr.

4 Likes