Molicell M50A cell

Has anyone used the Molicel M50A cell? In p-depths of 4 or more (single drive) or 7 or more (dual drive) this seems like it’d be a good choice. I don’t think I personally would run them past 10A per cell.

6 Likes

That graph says it’s for the LG M50 :eyes:

But I am curious about he Molicel M50A

2 Likes

Whoopsie, graph removed

2 Likes

Lol I was thrown off by that when googling the cell too, naming scheme is way too close

2 Likes

According to internet forums, its diameter is 21.7mm, so same as the P42A. They really love cheating with the size to get better specs, don’t they?

On the other hand, unless you’re using NESE, that’s probably a good thing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yep I think I was reading the same thing you were :rofl:

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/66686

For us, the slight size difference is probably a non-issue for 99% of us.

3 Likes

If anyone can find a discharge graph, please post it :eyes:

1 Like

This is what we’re looking for I believe, compliments to @BenjaminF
INR21700M50A-V1-80097.pdf (937.7 KB)

4 Likes

Based on the voltage sag. I’m not thinking this can really do much above 10A continuous… but thermally it may be fine. Don’t have those graphs to show for it yet tho.

1 Like

Molicell M50A discharge graph

4 Likes

Wow, it sags A LOT, especially at constant power draw. Looks like P42A is definitely better at lower P counts.

6 Likes

Yeah idk about that. I think I might pass on these unless in 12P or higher depths

1 Like

FYI, I am running P42A cells in standard NESE 21700 enclosures and the cells fit fine.

3 Likes

Seems like a slightly improvement compared to the 50E

2 Likes

I agree, 10A is probably a good limit for decent efficiency.

The M50A is rated at 15A continuous. That tech presentation ratings page has a 20A rating but that was changed based on customer requirements. The datasheet lists it as a 15A cell.

I’ll be testing these late this week or early next week but this is a high internal resistance energy cell and isn’t really comparable to a low internal resistance power cell like the P42A.

I don’t know yet where the P42A becomes the better choice but I’m guessing it will be around 15A or so. At above that the P42A or 40T will actually run for longer down to your cutoff voltage due to the higher efficiency (lower DC IR) of those power cells,

39 Likes

The very first thing I was looking for was a Mooch test :rofl:

13 Likes

that’s what i do as well, maybe i should start saving those screenshot instead of googling it.

hi Mooch… welcome to the jungle… as you can tell, we love your analysis, and science on all things LiOn…

:call_me_hand: :eyes: :dash:

16 Likes

Good to see you here man. You’re a bit of a legend around these parts for debunking the mysterious battery specs and we appreciate you the more for it. Thanks for taking the time to do what you do :call_me_hand:

20 Likes

A visit from the mooch man!

2 Likes