Modifying prebuilt junk, in stages, to be less junk like.

Edit.
Apologies.

8 AWG needs to bend to my improving skill set, like 10awg reluctantly did.

I hope to approach or maybe perhaps somewhat equal… the high standards of the professional workmanship so often displayed on this forum.

‐-----

I clamped a longer but slightly narrower plastic underbox bed into Fiona’s chariot tonight, and the diagonal mini dutifully delivered us there, , and back, the long way, at 12mph, 19.3ish km, max.

She swam a mile, and stinks like the bay, but is not scratching.
Happy dog.
Promise fulfilled, today.

Her fur , when longer, stays so wet, for so long, that as long as she can get wet, this insane Florida heat just getting started, in mid march, becomes somewhat more tolerable.

Just got to put this here,

https://www.amazon.com/Babuvya-Current-Antispark-Connector-Application/dp/B09G9T45WS/ref=asc_df_B09G9T45WS/

1 Like

Ok, that might work for the charge port.

But I was thinking some DLO for the loopkey
:slight_smile:

I split apart my newly delivered FS VX1.

It has the 850 mah battery.

Pot wires loose, but kind of already pushed out of the way, beyond range of thumbwheel.

My midsize Vesc destination, is still scattered all over the workbench, and my project gumption, lacking, and I am drinking too many Coors.

Today, I spotted a neighborhood kid, well 17ish, blazing round on an E scooter.
8" knobby wheels, maybe doing 20mph, while I was towing the Fiona laden charoit around my racetrack.
Yesterday’s rain and wind did the work of 5 men and 5 leaf blowers.

I hold the chariot handle in my right hand, throttle in left, and i can feel when she shifts her weight. I was progressively entering turns at higher speed , turning harder, and stealing glances backwards.

She’s down low, front paws splayed wide on the rubber matt, grinning like an idiot.
‘Woof!’

Woof indeed.

The neighborhood kid waved me down, asked to try my diagonal mini.
Big kid, likely 100 kilos, 220 lbs, I’m about 190lbs.

I said sure, but don’t touch the brakes, they are insanely dangerous.
Do you know how to fall?

Oh sure I use to skate all the time…

I kept the remote and said push this around the driveway, show me.
Ok, he could skate a little., rusty but not a liar.

I set remote to half power, reminded him to not to hit the brakes.

On the dogtown documentary, remember that stinkbug stance , style free scene, when it is physically painful to watch the guy insult anyone who has ever ridden a skateboard?

But he didnt fall.

I jumped on his scooter, took a second to figure out the throttle and handbrakes, and tore up my racetrack, buckling the pneumatic tire, foot dragging power slides, that square knobby tire shoulder so noisy and unhappy at the stress it had never before been subject to.

The kid was like wow! you have ridden scooters before, thats awesome!.
I once rode a 36v lead acid scooter in 2006ish or so, but thats it.

I could see how a powerful one, could be lotsa fun, and the handbrakes felt natural, but I think I’d want a full face helmet, just for the anonymity.

I put my CVCC booster on my 7s1p battery, to feed my 10s battery.

At 100 watts input, output was close to 96 watts.

I feel the need to extract some more work from my premade junk 7s batteries, before disassembling them. The space for the cheesy esc, in their tiny enclosures, seems like almost the perfect spot for a boost converter.
Charge and ride.

Gotta do something with the 7s functional junk.

The one 7s remote which got some salt water inside, now has a significant parasitic draw and will drain the battery dead in 3 days with no use.

So the clock is ticking to get 10s into the diagonal mini.

I basically charge it ever day until amps taper from 0.24 to 0.09. Sometimes this is ten minutes, sometimes 50.

Gotta have a fully functional backup board.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

85 ms pulse
P42A
0.1mm copper
0.1mm nickel plated steel.

85ms pulses seem to weld more than adequately, in terms of the amount of force required to roll off the sandwich.

My Welder can go upto 99ms pulses, so there is some overhead, but I wish there were more overhead, so that 60ms pulses, or less, were achieving similar welds.

I can replace the slightly too short 10awg from Lipo weld battery to welder and Lipo to welding pen, with slightly longer 8awg, but the cheap 3s 5.2ah Zee Lipo has 12awg to the now XT90s, which gets the hottest, and would seem to the biggest electrical bottleneck in the circuit.

I did not open the lipo hard plastic case to see how difficult it would be to replace that 12awg with 10 or 8awg. I Should probably get another lipo and parallel it only when welding. Not sure if this would put the welder outside of its goldilocks zone.

After this 10s1p battery for the diagonal mini, realistically, I will likely only make one more, 10s 5p or 12s4p, so getting a Kweld is not within financial reach, but I could theoretically make use of another 3s Lipo outside of welding.

Attached a phone holder to Fiona’s chariot.

This is a screenshot from a ride video, with the diagonal mini tow vehicle, lightly carving at its 12mph max.

Still figuring out how I want to design and build her new chariot, but in the mean time, we will go bark at the neighborhood, twice a day, with 2 Bessey clamps holding the plastic tub to the kayak cart’s pneumatic axle platform.

2 Likes

My ridgid 10s2p singlestack flat pack Dmegc 5.2ah battery is basically floating in soft squishy neoprene foam, so the deck and enclosure can flex around it.

Gravity makes it a bit difficult to hold everything in enclosure, and lay it.on the underside of the deck.

I wanted to be able to hold battery and wiring in place then flip enclosure upside down, and drive the 18 truss head screws holding it to the deck, rather than raise enclosure to the hull and then try and drive screws upside down, cursing.

Enter the fiberglass leash loop.
I’ve never done them this small before, so it was an experiment.

I slid 4 strands of tow/roving/finrope into some plastic tubing lengths, then allowed them to drink as much epoxy as they wanted, sliding plastic tube left and right to insure complete saturation, then laid them in place, and splayed the ends.

Once cured, I slit the tubing, grab an edge with some needle nose vice grips, and there is a nice smooth round gap, the width if the tubing wall.
Low profile, and ridiculously strong.

Mechanical fastener free attachment points.

This worked pretty well, and I decided the area between battery and Esc should just have many location options as to where i decide to cinch the wiring tight, so I used longer pieces of fin rope, with more lengths of black plastic tubing, and the red plastic tubing with metal bars inserted, to press areas inbetween black plastic tubes, to the enclosure.
I used 3 pieces of roving, not 4 on these in-line, mostly parallel mini leash loops.

The epoxy does not bond to what I believe is polypropylene tubing. It is airline hose, for firestone suspension airbags, so once again i can just slice it lengthwise, and remove the tubing, once the epoxy cures.

I can use small zip ties or similar, to attach battery or wiring securely to the enclosure interior, and in theory, this should make swapping enclosure and drivetrain to the Linasquat a much faster, curse free process, and keep things from vibrating and chafing.

As an experiment, I removed my 2.2ah 7s1p battery from its tiny enclosure, which came with the 99$ mini, charged it to 29ish volts, and plugged it into the charge port of my 7s2p 4.0ah enclosure, which was also right around 29v.

I used a velcro cinch strap to hold it to deck in between my feet on the diagonal
mini.

The lesser voltage sag, on acceleration was noticeable, but it was not a huge difference.

The diagonal mini was no faster, with a tailwind, but was with a strong headwind, when towing the Fiona Chariot, but still 12mph max.

The 7s2p battery has been getting 3 cycles a day lately, and its capacity is now obviously degrading, which was why I decided to try paralleling the 7s1p through the charge port.

It was nice having the extra torque and slightly higher too speed, after Fiona’s swim, against a strong headwind and slight elevation gains on the long way home.

I didn’t and won’t keep the two 7s packs in parallel once home, and will charge them separately.

These premade junk 7s packs will soon be retired from directly feeding an esc, but might feed a dc boost converter and be a portable 10s charger or charge and ride.

I need to get the Fsesc 6.6 mini mounted, wired and dialed in, but life is in the way, and my ability to concentrate is seemingly severely compromised, and I do not know if i can handle having Vesctool, and my inexperience, screw with my fragile sanity, at this moment.

Glad the diagonal mini is proving reliable as a sedate backup board and tow vehicle, but i miss linear brakes, and the 22mph potential of my 10s pack esc, and 700 watt hubs.

2 Likes

diabolical project ngl

3 Likes

Not much progress to report.

I beefed up the wiring on cheap purple spot welder from weld battery xt90s to new fatter welding pens, and can now use 10ms shorter pulses, to achieve solid welds on 0.1mm copper, 0.1 Nickel plated steel sandwiches on p42a cans.

The 12awg on lipo weld battery gets warm fast, as does the lipo itself.
I have an adjustable speed (7500rpm max) 92mm clampfan i can aim precisely anywhere, so now do.

The P42a 10s1p is at this stage.

It could get either dumb daly or large Smrat JBD bms.

The diagonal mini tows us round the hood a few miles, a few times a day, but I am annoyed with not being able to outrun following traffic, the phone wielding drivers and/or elderly driver assasins.

Iv’e been velcro cinch strapping a 7s1p to my deck, hooking to charge port, between feet for a little extra juice. On and off. It has become very noticeable when it is off.

Oddly, most noticeable, is the already dangerous, 2 or 10 brakes on this POS aladdin esc.

With the extra pack, its 2 or 11., take it off, and 2 or 10.

Thankfully, the sometimes induced nose wheelie, halves the brakes.

The fiberglass enclosure inches towards housing vesc, but I may need to just slap puaida esc back in, in order to ride faster, sooner.

Finding that anxiety, regarding the programming vesctool, clashing with and enhancing regular life induced anxiety, so one thing at a time.

Am experimenting with 8 awg, solder, and a hydraulic crimper and a 10pack of xt90, while trying to refine skill and technique.

I wanna achieve that sound and feel when twisting molten 10awg or 12awg deep into the socket, up into the pins, and having it solidify all shiny.
Not happy with my results, so far, though I am sure they are way more than good enough, for my low power builds.

2 Likes

It is rare that we ever really need 8awg in esk8, but definitely a good skill. Iron plays a big part when trying to solder bigboi stuff like that. I feel like it goes in order of importance

1. Good solder - 60/40 or 63/37 even better, there is a smart word for it that i can’t remember but 63/37 is the best because it requires the lowest temperature to melt. And rosin core. And additional paste flux on the wire

2. Big soldering iron - i use a cheap 80W soldering iron with a big fat tip for 95% of my soldering needs. Despite what anyone might tell you, you don’t need to spend a million dollars on a soldering iron.

3. Skill - you still need some of this but its a LOT easier with the right gear. Soldering well isn’t that hard. If you find that you are repeatedly struggling with a soldering task, i would definitely be looking at the solder and iron being used as the suspects.

5 Likes

Amen

I hated soldering untill i got a semi decent soldering station…and i think my first one only cost like 50usd

1 Like

My fat copper mentality, comes from a 12vdc lead acid battery world, when limited duration and limited charging sources need optimization, to prevent premature sulfation, and fatter shorter copper with excellent quality terminations was where the best results lay, when ‘more’ charging wattage potential was rationed, and it became easier to use less than make more.

In the process of learning how to whisper to lead acid nutjobs, I had to measure everything in, and out. One of the better tools was the inline unidirectional wattmeters.
But they came with 12 or 14 awg, and I wanted to pass 40 continuous amps or more.
The voltage drop was wasting so much juice as heat, and the alao hampering the ability to achieve and hold absorption voltage for as long as needed to get those futhermucking lead acid batteries as close as possible to true 100% state of charge, daily, by mid afternoon.

So I learned how to desolder the 12awg silicone wire and replace it with 8awg oonnth inline wattmeters.

I screwed up plenty, and got better tools and drank up advice from the more experienced.

I’ve some kester 63/37, and its acquisition made me go on a rage about the solder provided with my weller soldering 40watt iron and 100/140watt gun.

My soldering gun has some questionable mods, to ensure a solid tight, consistent connection.

But consistency only happens if i remove, shine mating surfaces, and retighten every use.

I sometimes use an inline wattmeter, feeding an 12vdc inverter, powering my soldering gun. Ive seen the wattage vary from as low as 64, and go as high as 225, all depending on the solidity of connection, and have used a router speed controller to throttle it, and dial a wattage, but found it easier to throttle by trigger modulation.

I’d like better soldering equipment, but can and will dial it in what i have, for the tasks at hand.

8 awg is just about the same diameter as the Xt90 receptacles.
I am likely incapable of not trying to perfect mating the two.

Then cursing up a storm, and making excuses to attenuate overblown expectations, at the unideal results.

1 Like

This was kind of a shock to me personally, I had a few years of practice soldering as a youngster and assumed that I was just still learning and figuring it out after a few years, then @A13XR3 recommended a KSGER T12 and suddenly, the XT90s that could take me 3 separate tries are a breeze, even 8awg is totally doable with the right tip and a bit of flux. Skill is certainly an important part of soldering but you may be surprised by how little practice it takes with the right gear.

2 Likes

The right tool for the job is always a great idea.
I am a stubborn cheaP fuck who will need to make due with the tools I already have.

The 140 watt weller gun has enough heat, but perhaps not enough thermal mass, and lacks consistency, as it seems oxidation and expansion and contraction screw with the electrical connection between gun and tip.

I have achieved nice looking 8awg to XT90 joints, but not with the stranding inserted deep inside the pins receptacles to full depth. Compressing the tinned tips with hydraulic crimper reduces circumference enough, but the hexagonal shape then needs some dremel work to fit inside cleanly.

I know the result I seek is unnecessary for my low.power builds, but im looking to build skills, and develop and refine technique.

Ill redraw the ‘good enough’ line, after Ive come as close to ideal as i can, should my sanity hold for that long.

1 Like

While Fiona’s water chariot has been dry for 10 days now, every day we’ve been putting 6+ miles on her land chariot, barking up the hood, and going to the kayak launch so she can swim and gleefully pretend she was born a water dog.

The 12mph diagonal mini has been the tow vehicle, while I’ve slowly been working on the mid size enclosure’s interior leash loops.

I’ve gotten seriously annoyed at 12mph max, as following traffic all to often decides to come up beside me , match my speed as I hug the edge of the asphalt, roll down their window and try and start up conversation, (fuckoff, go away!)

Or they stick their phone out and take pictures or video.

(fuck you, and fuckoff,.i dont want to be on your narcissist fuckwit social media feed, fucking drive!!!)

And/Or pedestrians feel entitled to wave, step in my path, to try and get me to stop so they can strike up a conversation, ( Fuck off, I aint stopping, and despise chit chat)

One solution, besides a bright orange lettered shirt which says:
“fuck you, fuck off, leave us alone!”
is additional speed.

I should have gotten the Fsesc 6.6 mini that Evwan gifted me going.
I don’t have any good excuse as to why I have not yet set it up, but this AM, when a driver decided to squeeze me off the road in their desire to talk to me with their phone in my face, I said f it returned home, and put the plug and play Puaida ESC back in place.

I have something like 28 mini low profile fiberglass leash loops on the inside of the enclosure, and added two more to the outside to hold phase cables in place.

They work pretty well at securing the battery and all wiring to the enclosure, and I can just flip it over and screw it down quickly, and not have to worry about the battery or wiring shifting, or anything rattling.

I also opened up my other hub motor, cleaned some sand from within, and reassembled in the proper order, while waiting for the asphalt to dry after a cold front swept through.

When it was dry enough, I took a quick test spin, then got Fiona in her chariot, and went to the kayak launch at 16 to 22mph. No cars Caught up to us, and pedestrians made no attempt to get me to stop, and chit chat.

It was nice getting there in half the time too.

Fiona is now so comfortable swimming, she decided to chase what she though was a floating duck or a cormorant (it was just an untethered buoy) getting sucked north quickly with the tide and wind and which was moving close to 2mph.

No stopping her.

When she finally got to the styrofoam buoy and started circling it, finally understanding it was not a duck or a cormorant, she was nearly mid channel and 100 meters north (intracoastal waterway) and I had already ditched my shirt and was swimming after her.

She reluctantly left it, ball still in mouth, and started swimming towards me, I met her and then we both swam against up current.

She chased the ball from land into the water for another half hour while I drip dried, then we walked the 1/4 mile to asphalt, then blazed home at 16 to 22 mph.

She is snoring, I’m thinking the beer store is only open for 24 more.minutes.

The diagonal mini has been disassembled, and the sanded free of its horrible polyurethane finish.
Goodbye 7S

3 Likes

Walking here, and back, from home base, is about 3 miles round trip.

Neither Fiona nor I, were built for hot climates.

It’s too hot to walk, often, starting soon, and to last the next 5 months.

So now we roll there, with no less than a 16mph breeze, and the heat is no longer a nullifying factor.

Barking and laughing the whole way.
There and back.

The diagonal mini’s deck, hull and rails are prepped for fiberglass.

24oz per yard woven roving, roughly 800gsm, soon to be saturated on hull.

Wanted a lighter weave atop roving, but lack stock, so will fill weave with more epoxy, within epoxy chemical bond window, and later, curse at doing it the less desirable way.

Have beer and time, instead.

Never had much luck, clarity wise, with woven roving.

Good thing its not important on the diagonal mini’s, road side.

This is one layer of 24oz per square yard, ~800gsm, topped with 7.5oz cheap bondo brand fiberglass cloth from the hardware store, saturated with 250 grams of epoxy.

The midsize has a unidirectional FG roving perimeter, kind of glowing white in photo in post above. I am going to add a bit more FG perimeter to the diagonal mini, increase overalll board width by about 1/2", 12mm or so.

The 7s diagonal mini was a nice light grocery getter, and fun slow speed tight radius carver. The thin deck was so flexible, I could twist it under my feet. The outer plywood layer showed some stress cracks on the bottom, so is why I went overboard using the woven roving.

Its gonna gain some weight, and I don’t know how much the twisty flex added to the joy it allowed in slow speed tight radius carving on smooth asphalt.

Going from 7s2p, 104wh of junk cells, to 10s1p 151.2wh of P42A, should be a good upgrade. The diagonal drive 72mm hub motor’s urethane are in pretty poor condition.

Ill have to sort out new motors at some point for it, and likely the 83mm midsize hub motors too.

One or both of those 83mm motors are making noises again, and I fear their premature demise.

1 Like