Modifying prebuilt junk, in stages, to be less junk like.

TLDR, scroll way down.

I bought a prebuilt, as I needed a way to tow my kayak, with my dog in it, to the launch 1.25 miles away and then stuff the prebuilt into the kayak hatch, paddle a few miles, bark at cormorants, then tow the happy wet dog, and kayak home.

My funds are quite limited, and so is the time to fulfill the promise made to my dog, when I adopted her from a family of sociopaths, 6 years ago.

So I got a Jking hb2. It claims 700 watts of hub motor, about 8 mile range 16mph, or close to that. I measured 538 watts peak.
Ill assume 700 watts with a 10s battery.

The bamboo veneered maple deck is actually pretty nice, but the rest is scary bad. The truck axles would dead stop on wobbly kingpins, limiting range of movement and turning radius.

One hub motor feels nice and crisp. Spinning it by hand the magnetic detents solid and similar through full 360 degrees.

The other hub motor feels muddy and crusty in comparison.

The plate holding the square motor shaft into axle was loose, and one screw tapped at an angle so that only one edge of screw head touches plate.

The throttle is horribly unsteady, as are the brakes. Jerky, inconsistent, unpredictable, dangerous.

It has a 7s2p battery 4000mah, unknown cells. Unknown BMS.

The charge port does not read battery voltage, and when I feed it 29.35v precisely with an xl4015 bucker, the fake xt60 output connector shows 28.95v.

The provided 1.5 amp charger has an open circuit voltage that ranges from 30.12v to 29.87v. The light goes from red to green as soon as amps taper to 0.32.

I carbide burred enough clearance on hanger so full range of movement, and wheelbite was then possible with some
of shortys doh dohs bushings.

I extended wheelbase so wheels fit closer to center of recesses on underside of the deck, instead of biting on the edges of them. This greatly improved response and shortened turn radius

The speed controller sticker says aladdin on it. it is potted in clear epoxy

Not sure if it is a Yingli, or hobbywing or something else.

ESC is attached to an aluminum plate that has some rtv sealing it from a ventilated space below.

The assembler stripped the plastic post, attaching heatsink to enclosure, and then used a larger screw whose head did not sit flush, so there was a 1mm gap between the ESC and heatsink on one corner, and not enough grease to fill The void.

I counter sunk that screw, added finned heatsinks to theoutside air exposed side, sanded bottom of esc and top of heatsink flat, used Arctic Silver thermal grease between, and reorganized power sensor and phase wiring inside, moving antenna away, hoping to improve the dangerous jerky brakes and schizo throttle. No luck there.

It does have enough power and battery capacity to tow goofball sheepdog laden wheeled kayak @ 110+lbs and my 190lbs, to launch and back, a little over 2 miles round trip, but not much headroom, and is obviously down on speed and torque last 1/4 mile.

It can, and does, do what I bought it for.

But I had no idea how awesome skating is, when one does not have to push endlessly with worn out arthritic overused joints.

I’m hooked. Need more power, more range, more confidence in equipment.

The 7s epoxy potted ESC is downright dangerous.

I don’t trust the battery, or charger, or BMS.

I expect the one crusty hub motor to fail way prematurely.

I will be addressing all these, as money and time allow.

First up is the ESC. Shoulda, but didnt go for a V ESC. I will eventually. inevitable.

I went for a ‘ebay esc’ dual hub motor. 62$. Slow boat from china. i liked it could be 6s, 7s or 10s depending on solder bridge. The other forum had lots of old info on it. Seemed ok for the price.

I might later use it to power 300 watt 24vdc brushless kayak thrusters, eventually.

The aladdin ESC seemed to be getting worse on brakes and at any throttle less than full, it was surging and sputtering, and
I decided a USA shipped ESC was needed, pronto. I ordered a Puaida 10s Esc.

Both escs arrived same day a few days later. The Llngyi ebay esc was bigger than imagined. I bridged the 7s solder tabs, removed enclosure, and no way it fits.

The Puaida is same physical size as Aladdin, but is 10s. I dont have a 10S battery, yet, but table tested it with 2 Makita 18v batteries in series, and my hub motors smoothly attained a significantly higher rpm than ever before, the remote displaying 48, km/h for 90mm wheels, I imagine.

I was almost going to mount two 'power wheels adapter’s on hull temporarily, but drill batteries have their own BMS, and do not recharge when fed voltage on the two output pins. I feared hitting the regen brakes would smoke the ESC so axed that idea.

So I decided to make a 10s battery, and a new enclosure utilizing dormant fiberglass skills.

20 DMEGC 15 amp 2600 mah 18650s and 10 P42a’s were ordered cyber monday from Liion wholesale, and I placed all on the hull of the HB2, and drank too many beers. almost ordered 10 more DMegcs but bank account laughed, and I cried.

Decided, F it, build a generously thick single stack enclosure as big as I could fit between truck bases. and then worry much battery I could fit, later.
Hoping that 10s3p of P42a could. Knowing P28’s would.

I’d watched Pavel’s and Shuttershocks battery build videos, every dang thing on battery spot welding , welders that I could find. Everything on Copper nickel sandwiches, lipo weld batteries, xt90,60, xt90s antispark.

Got fishpaper, and rings for 21 and 18s, ordered 3 different 20$ spot welders, Zee 3s 5.2ah 80c lipo battery kapton tape, wrong size heat shrink. 10S DALY dumb BMS. JST pigtails, mr30s., 0 15 10mm wide pure nickel, a sheet of 0.15 copper.

I used the foam padding, and double wall cardboard, and nashua flexfix tape as an enclosure mold. Lots of crap bondo brand fiberglass cloth, saturated with Apex surfboard laminating epoxy.

I just popped it off the mold today, and cleaned the edges up a bit.

The 20 DMEGC’S in 2p fishpapered packs hot glued and kapton taped together, look tiny inside the enclosure.

I should be out there now, cutting and welding copper and nickel plated steel, but here I type instead, beerless(8 days now)

not quitting, just stopping for a while.

The enclosure needs a bunch more work still. I think the BMS is going to be outside shrinkwrap.

At some point I will go for a V esc, and am contemplating mounting methods adaptable for different products. Ive got a zillion questions on vesc but will not ask until i read up more.

An external airflow assisted heatsink is going to happen, even if i can get away without, and since it will be in a salt air humid environment, i want to form as good a Seal as possible, enclosure to deck, heatsink to ESC mounting pad and phase and sensor wire entry point.

Still many days away from completion, and i’m just gonna return the sketchy 7s battery, enclosure and ESC so my tow vehicle is operational again, while I work on 10s battery and enclosure.

This tow vehicle is the second.

The first was a 99$ a single hub motor Anzo’ fashion’ pennyboard that was just too underpowered to be a tow vehicle .
However, it is fun for super tight carves on new asphalt at end of driveway, and it it going to get 10 p42a’s and a new esc, and likely a diagonal dual hub motor, should my ‘parts only’ penny esk8 have the same rpm on same esc
. I’ll be detailing that rebuild in this thread too unless requested otherwise.

TLDR;

Cheap surfbum moves to gulf of Mexico from San Diego.

Bum gets kayak

Bum wants to tow awesome dog and kayak to kayak launch, 2+miles round trip.

Cheap Bum orders cheap premade skate which fits in kayak hatch, which bum then finds too powerless to tow kayak.

Bumborders less cheap dual hubmotor skate.
Mission acconplished.
Bum falks in love skating without pushing.

Bum wants more power, reliability, more custom DIY.

Bum joins esk8 news, lurks, researches.
2 months later bum posts first post, awaits scorn :wink:

3 Likes

8 Likes

Dogs: up for doing fucking anything at any time and loving every minute of it. Miss having a dog in my life.

Will be following your DIY journey with interest.

10 Likes

8 Likes

Dogs are awesome.
Fiona is an old soul.

Im gonna make her a tow sled.
She’s not good in the heat and can only run for a ball, squirrel, or Turkey buzzard.
She hates it when i leave her to skate around block. She wants to come.

9 Likes

Here’s the new enclosure, fresh off the mold, with 20 18650s and the relatively large Yingli dual ebay ESC placed inside.

Two p42as in their boxes, in there too.

I am Trying to figure out how I’m gonna mount and heatsink either of my 2 esc options, and future unknown vesc efficiently.

I see a 10s3p Molicel p42a, and higher quality hub motors in the future.

When i smoke the ESC, in goes a V esc.

5 Likes

You probably won’t. They’re not good controllers, but on the flip side, they’re the nuclear cockroaches of esk8.

3 Likes

The Yinglis ebays are durable?

I though I recall seeing a 120KG load capacity, 264lbs.

I weigh 190lbs the board itself is at least 15, Fiona is 55, the Kayak and wheels 65lbs, the cooler and beer and fishing gear will be another 25lbs, about 350lbs total, ~160 kg.

Come summer, in Florida the asphalt will be 140f.

With 7s 2p Ive basically been full throttle the whole way there and back, since the first run when I took it slower.

According to a radar sign we hit 14mph with a tailwind slightly downgrade.

Headwinds and slight elevation gain and maybe 11mph max.

I added these finned heatsinks to flat plate sink, hoping for better brakes, as they seemed worse when hot.

I’ll likely use the physically smaller Puaida ESC as the remote has a display and one can have different speed and brake settings. I put the Yingli in there for photo as it is bigger and seems to be closer in footprint to V escs.

The Yingli is more likely to wind up powering the pennyboard dual diagonal hub motors unless it, and 10 21700s won’t fit cleanly in its future new enclosure.

2 Likes

I was about to ask why not get a safe harness and have your dog pull the kayak while you walk but that explains it. I thought kayaks were lighter. I’d check and see if you can get better bearings for the kayak wheels to make pulling it easier.

You might want to look at the k9 sport sack options to see if any could work for you as an easier option than building a trailer for her. They sell some pretty large sizes, but I have a smaller size so I can’t say how comfortable the big ones are

The newer ones are. and by new I mean the last 10 years probably as I’ve only seen one of the old ones that have a goal of just killing itself :rofl:

Didnt mean to delete, was trying to edit.

oh well, to the workshop!

My 10" wheels for kayak require modification to fit axle designed for narrower 8" wheels with thinner axleshaft.

I’m still waffling on how to best accomplish it, without a welder. or a lathe and the lack of experience of using either. JB weld likely to be employed, but alignment of aluminum axleshaft in stainless square receptacle, would be easy to screw up, so i tabled it, for now.

New wheels came with new hubs, aluminum, but wheel frame is stainless.
I have 4 of these 10" wheels, and axles for the mid sized wheel insert.

It can be made into a dually, for crossing soft sand.

2 Likes

Probably will work great with the inserts you printed, low speed and low weight. Can always keep a lookout for some brass tubing with the right id/od to cut for a sleeve and grease it up well, washer and a cotter pin.

1 Like

Those green inserts came with the wheels.

I’ve no 3d printer, nor CAD skills, unless C = cardboard.

I knew it was unlikely that any combo of insert orovided with the wheels, would be plug and play on my cart, but figured I could somehow make it work once i got it in hand.

I just have to commit to the using drill, dremel and angle grinder, cutting off existing SS axle, and get aluminum axles JB welded inside SS square tubing in acceptable alignment, no tow in or out, or +/- camber. Holding them aligned while jb weld cures is where the anxiety lay, as the aluminum axle will be a bit loose inside SS square.

Not sure exactly how loose, yet.

The smaller wheels are a bit soft with a little give. The bigger ones are hard rubber.

The second trip, when it was full throttle nearly the whole way there, the hub plastic was stinky hot and partially melted, but had no lube.
A little sylglide helped tremendously in the heat department

The last 1/4 mile is crushed shell trail, and the bigger wheels would make a difference. as the little wheels have to plow a trail in some softer areas. Fiona is in sled dog excitment mode for most of this walk if it is 75f or less, pulling me while I carry the reluctant 30 pack behind me.

The Lingyi was a fairly hasty purchase. I was fearful my jerky 7s ‘Aladdin’ ESC was going to smoke itself as the Jerky inconsistent brakes, and twitchy unsteady throttle seemed to be getting worse. I wanted a backup, and nkt have to wait 2 weeks with no tow vehicke. Since it could be 6 7 or 10s it seemed ok for 62$. Ill be quite disappointed if the brakes are as bad as the ‘aladdin’.

Seems some said the brakes were better with sensor connectors removed. I guess ill find out for myself soon enough

When the Lingyi first arrived, I looked for the 6s 7s solder tabs next to the antenna, and they appeared to be located a bit more off to the side and 90 degrees to what i remembered seeing pictures of. It was set for 10s, so i bridged the 7s but then found no way would it fit the enclosure.

It seemed the brakes would get worse when it the motors got warm, and i was hoping my ministrations to improve heatsinking would mitigate it, to no avail.

When i took the ESC back out this lSt time, i noticed that i did a poor job spreading the Arctic Silver thermal grease evenly between esc and heatsink, and it did not squeeze out the sides, and while better than factory, the grease is to fill tiny voids between, not bridge large gaps due to obstruction or unflat mating surfaces…

The new enclosure and battery has a ways to go, I missed my tow vehicle, So I returned the original 7s 2p enclosure components, but got good contact between esc and heatsink this time.

Also organized the too long phase and sensor wires a bit better than the last go, as I had removed the glue holding sensor connections to circuit board when I tested the Puaida esc on series’d Makita batteries.

It was kind of cool for Florida today, and the spastic throttle and jerky brakes seemed far better today. The throttle was consistent and the brakes, once they hit, did not let off and hit again. Better heatsinking, cooler ESC and motors?, or perhaps removing and reseating sensor connectors improved an intermittent contact.

Shoukda DeoXit D5’d them too. Magic lectric juice.

I table tested my 73mm hub motors on the same esc 7s battery combo, unloaded , with an optical tachometer, and they were 40 rpm apart…
Table tested my dual hub 80 mm motors with tach and they were within 15rpm of each other, with the crustier, hotter running motor being the faster.

Looks like the penny board will be getting the 10s1p p42 battery, the Yingli and dual diagonal drive. I think the motors are close enough. bith clIm 359 watts and look from exterior, to be same design.

I cutout and sanded some plywood to fit the holes in the deck for the handles of the JK, and eooxied them in place

2 Likes

Esk8 Towed the the Kayak to the launch yesterday, and I didnt need to use the brakes there, or on the way back.

The brakes had been so unpredictable and dangerous, I kind of avoided using them whenever possible and when i did was always braced for an insane response.

The day before, after reassembly, I was bracing myself for crazy jerky uneven brakes, but they seemed far, far better. Far from.linear and perfect, but at least once they engaged they did not let off and slam back on then off then back 3 times in 2 seconds.

But the battery was about 60%, and the brakes were always worst at higher states of charge, so I did not allow myself to think they were in fact reliably ‘better’

So Today I fully charged, and went out cruising, and kept getting upto the boars’s limited 16mphish top speed, bracing myself and applying brakes.

If applying the brakes lightly they slow gradually for about 1.5 seconds, but then go full brake without any additional thumb input.

However, once engaged, they stayed engaged at same strength for as long as i hold brake, none of the previous jerkeyness on and off rapid dangerous crap.

I went a couple miles and kept trying to get the brakes to act as before, insanely dangerous and unpredictable , but they are now basicaLky very predictable. 100 % braking strength, on just about any braking event. If I barely touch the brakes, ill get a second of light braking before they kick on 100% strength.

So basically Any time i need to brake I ransfer weight to back foot, brace mysekf and slam them, and know exactly how hard they hit and how fast i can stop, which jis a huge improvement in confidence when riding this POS.

I cut a couple of shorty’s yellow and red barrell doh doh bushings In half with a Japanese pull saw, and stacked a layer atop the soft blue dohdoh’s, and swapped them in and out, back and forth and adjusted the tightness, until I found a nice handling sweet spot that felt very, very right.

When getting close to dialed, i took a leaf blower in one hand, while skating the brand new asphalt at end of driveway, to get rid of debris and stray pebbles, and then redefined the sound of hissing urethane.

If the brakes worked predictably strong like this, and rail to rail handling were this good out of the box, I might not have felt the need to improve with new ESC and 10s battery and enclosure

I filled in the handles, and kind of miss their usefulness, but the new enclosure has to seal there.

1 Like

A long while ago, when pushing 20 to 25 amps through ATC/ATO 10 and 12awg fuse holders, and having the holders and fuse melt, but never blow the fuse, I started making my own fuse holders with 0.25" quick connect fittings, and then later using 1/4" flag terminals for a but more low profile fuse holder.

The 10-12 awg yellow flag terminals can have the plastic shroud slid up the wire, then crimped and soldered, then fuse placed within, then use some amazing goop/shoe goo/e6000 as a potting material.

I have flag terminals crimpers for red and blue flag terminals for wire thinner than 14awg.

Here is new 2 amp fuse on the 29.92v 1.5 amp cheap power supply which came with my 7s junk.

Can splice them inline pretty cleanly, and make purdier if one wants/needs.

1 Like

Jul ale.
Don’t know how to get that correct symbol over the U, apologies to the full blooded Scandavanians.

3 parts Guiness stout, 3 lager, couple shots of Port wine in a pitcher.

Not sure this is right, but it’s how we do it, well how I do it, and nobody complains, as far as I know.

Shaddup liver.

Old traditions, but no kids.

Cousins have kids. Smart kids. But they’ve been afraid of me.
Black sheep.
Got nothing under the tree for you, but I got surfboards galore.

Come take your pic of the PU/PE options in my quiver, , and I’ll teach you, or not, no strings, your choice. I was young once, I get it.

Come by, let’s tear up the neighborhood on my cheapo Eskate and start watching the weather for potential swell events.
They are stoked!
So am I.

Merry Xmas.

7 Likes

I am a bit unused to the format.
i hold phone in landscape mode, and when scrolling through posts, I’ve apparently been giving reactions, without intendng to.

I’m not really a guy who subscribes or hits like button or reacts, so if any of these reactions I have given seem bizarre, it was entirely unintentional, and i apologize if I offended anyone.

2 Likes

Ha, i hit the reactions instead of responding. I like all the pretty pictures.