Moderators/staff serious after 150. Serious. šŸ˜‚

Getting off topic here, but waiting would have allowed us/them to possibly catch more mods reading PMs, if not just more examples of it, to help figuring out the motive.

1 Like

My understanding is that the mod team had already informed Mike that they caught him at the time that Bill privately informed me about it. So any further evidence collection was already off the table.

I just read through this and am still lost on whatā€™s going on.

Firstly, why do mods admins even have access to DMā€™s? Isnā€™t this why we all ditched the old forum?

2 Likes

Good point. I once again spoke too soon. I personally meant no disrespect.

3 Likes

Ding ding, give this guy a cookie

6 Likes

Short story: yes, in discourse it is very easy to read otherā€™s messages as a mod an admin. It was agreed mods wouldnā€™t do this, but Mike did, and possibly (if I understand correctly) disabled logging for it to hide his tracks. very sad, everyoneā€™s mad.

6 Likes

I donā€™t think thereā€™s any disrespect in saying I Want to be a mod currently.

Weā€™ve lost Mike, Tim, bill, Zach, Darenoā€¦ thereā€™s plenty of room for new people.

7 Likes

Yep. Welcome to forum drama: where all the important context is in a thread thats now deleted, and any good TL;DR is buried in shitposts :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What Damon said on this topic is that Discourse does not have an option in the backend to disable a modā€™s ability to read PMā€™s. They (the mod team) knew it was possible, and were warned never to use that ability because, as you say,

Mike decided he was above the law and did it anyway. Then the mod team discovered a way to log mod actions so they could see when Mike reads a PM he isnt invited to. They turned logging on. Mike turned it off again. They turned it back on, and captured logs of him reading my and another userā€™s PMā€™s.

9 Likes

[Edit. Iā€™ll honor the serious tag

4 Likes

For the same reason, i feel than the ā€œonly people who are investing financially can decideā€ as i saw somwere at the begining of the thread is fucked up:
We donā€™t want conflicts of interest nor a pay to play thing.
Itā€™s a community about building thing: participing financially is totally lodable, but helping people participating and creating content as well.

If itā€™s about selling, comercials, or paying : itā€™s no longer a comunity of friends united in the same passion, but politics and personal interests,

Even though I have no real opinions in who should be mods/admin and all this drama, the friendship and light atmosphere on this forum was the reason why iā€™m now refreshing the home page more than my facebook actuallity thread, and I donā€™t want this to be lost.

8 Likes

My understanding was incorrect: Mike had not been confronted at the time that Bill informed me of the privacy breach.

That being said, the most team were planning to approach Mike privately soon after Bill reached out to me and Zach made his post exposing the issue. So it still seems unlikely that the mod team would continue their sting operation onve they had sufficient evidence of wrongdoing.

From everything I have heard, it sounds like Damon wanted to sweep this under the rug. Zach and Bill were not down with that, and they both took their respective actions (informing the community and informing the members affected). And for doing that without giving Damon a chance to control the narrative, they were demoted amd (in Billā€™s case) silenced.

11 Likes

This is very recent is it not? I recall looking at mod lists regularly for a sense of update and seeing bill as leader rank. Now heā€™s a simple level 2 member. Did something happen in between?

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to hear @longhairedboyā€™s version of the story, but if what you say is true, then I am 100% on the side of Zach and Bill, and find their silencing worrying for the future of this forum.

6 Likes

Screenshot_20200828-083241

Shit guys a (hopefully future) mod is coming. Scatter!

11 Likes

Bill still was a leader for quite some time while everything happened. Thats why i was so confused as why some people talked about bill being booted even though he still had his rank, compared to the others.

4 Likes

By the way i didnā€™t had the chance to see the end of the deleted thread, was the second account of DRI banned as well ?

2 Likes

This is why I am so suspicious of Damonā€™s stated reasons for dismissing Bill. If those reasons were really the only reasons, surely he would have been dismissed ASAP, not halfway through the mod teamā€™s responce to the issue when they were struggling to control the story.

4 Likes

Much legit. Very innovative.

7 Likes

@DRI is still alive but deranked
@DerelictRobot banned - gone (was deranked before)

@BenjaminF it feels like damon wasnā€™t sure what to do with him at the time or quite frankly forgot the remove his mods rights?

4 Likes

Not sure : the names of the mods appeared afterward, as long as nobody nows that he was involeved in something except the concered people and he was not doing anything more, it was not a ā€œthreatā€
Once evrybody new about him, it was kind of provocative like ā€œwhy heā€™s he ok and not the otherā€ so damoned had to take action not to lose the face.
Or at least thatā€™s how i see things

1 Like