MKIII low power mode Q&A UPDATE: I took one for the team

Could you please only run a single unit for me? Remove the CAN link
We have a big meeting next week, so any of such matters can be addressed and fixed fast.

1 Like

sure, i can remove can link. since the remote is connected to the new vesc ill run setup on the MK3 as a single then?

Yup, then you do the other one and tell it to be slave.

@Trampa when clicking on the Setup for the second vesc i dont get an option to set it up as a slave.

PM me. Otherwise we clog up this thread.

1 Like

That i think the same issue i have for months where the tool won’t set both up to run via can.

In the Ackmaniac tool you can choose between a single or dual setup.

You set each VESC up on its own (without can)
Turn it off, connect can, turn it on and connect the usb to the vesc you want as slave and do the Input Wizard.
Thats where you can choose who has the Input connected and you can set VESC Id’s to make sure it know which one is the Master.

The stock VESC tool says my firmware is old till this date.

EDIT :

Actually that is the old Wizard from VESC-Tool. The new VESC-Tool figures it out by itself. It scans the CAN BUS, allocates VESC IDs and you don’t have to care.

2 Likes

Correct, the old one is still in the ACK tool. But thats the only one that works for me. As soon as a have can connected on the stock tool it says my FIrmware is old and i have to update it.

That might be hardware related. You can still do it the same way you used to do it in the old tool.

But the wizard that asks if you’re setting up a slave and a master VESC seemed to work better than the VESC tool doing it behind the scenes, as I know for myself it gets the VESC ID’s wrong and I2C over CAN requires me setup the forwarding manually. I feel like it was a step backward for the VESC tool.

2 Likes

I never get wrong VESC IDs. For me it always works. We set up quite a few boards!
You can still use the manual way to detect the motor and calibrate the remote. With VESC-Tool 2.0 your settings will never be lost, so it is a one time experience. Updating FW will be mega easy.

1 Like

20 microamps, when it’s turned off?

1 Like

I must be doing something wrong then, Ill try it again.

Yes, 20 micro Amp.

The IDs are derived from the UUID.

Any chance you could ask them about using the TPW1R306PL,L1Q instead of the IRF7749 MOSFET?
It has lower Rdson, much lower switching losses, smaller footprint, lower cost. The difference in Tj-c is negligible.
And if not, a brief summary why not?
Thanks.

5 Likes

And how does the power switch look like?

3 Likes

The 7749 has nearly 20% lower R DSON (1.1mOhm) and a lot more thermal conductive surface. That combined gives it a very noticeable advantage. We have made a bunch of custom VESCs with FETs from Onsemi and Toshiba. The 7749 seams to be quite good in comparison.

2 Likes

I like how @Gamer43 was planning on making his own ESC, and then I guess realized “man, this is gonna take a long time / that Trampa ESC is pretty close to perfect…” and is now just giving them suggestions on how to improve the design :smile:

5 Likes

So has anyone not-Trampa tested the actual current draw?

3 Likes