MKIII low power mode Q&A UPDATE: I took one for the team

Nah it still has performance issues with algorithm at low speeds. I also really hate the control mode transitions, there is no cross-checking between speed estimators.

I’m currently trying to figure out the details of getting the most accurate current samples to avoid those same issues.

I just get HELLA triggered when people use IR garbage.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, are you trying to gas-light people?

Graph is for TPW1R306PL,L1Q

The Trampa VESC 6 enclosure has its own thermal resistance case to ambient of around 10°C/W, Both of these MOSFETs’ thermal resistance junction to case is below 1°C/W. The difference in thermal conductivity is negligible.

From my preliminary tests, the VESC 6 seems to have similar thermal performance to the Flipsky 6.6 with enclosure at 30kHz switching FOC 80A motor. Not sure why you would’ve had worse performance with Onsemi FETs. P/N NTMFS5C628NL.

EDIT: Here’s one of the reasons why the IR FETs SUCK

This is why the old FOCBoxes got MUCH hotter running FOC than BLDC.

6 Likes

@Gamer43 you’ve received the VESC already, right? What’s the actual current draw? Where’s the conclusion to this thread? :laughing:

6 Likes

Idk if I am doing something wrong, but I can’t even get the thing to turn off, the LEDs stay on.

I used the newest firmware version, set the timeout to 30s, left it unplugged to anything except the battery and let it sit for an hour. LEDs stayed on. The green LED was dimly lit, which either means it never turned off, or the MCU is periodically waking up from sleep mode just to toggle the PWM on the LED. The green LED is not connected to any PWM capable output pin on the STM32F405RG.

Now, if the LEDs stay on even if the ESC has shutoff, well, then that means the current draw is really high.

9 Likes

Would love to Benjamin make a video about the MKIII showing the measurements and comparing to old ones like he did a lot of times

( :wink: @Trampa)

4 Likes

To enable power shutdown, the switch pin needs to be wired to GND.

3 Likes

Ok, pretty cool!

I got my mk3 and tested with 15V power supply and 30V power supply, and I gotta say, impressed!

With 15V the current went to 16uA within one minute of disabling Vesc, with 30V it took 3 minutes to get under 20uA, but as soon as Vesc goes to sleep it jumps from around 200mA to 30uA.

CRAZY!

EDIT: Now all that I want is to add a Keylock Switch to all my boards! LOLLL

17 Likes

Dope! Does anyone know if the vesc 6+ has an integrated antispark that I can just plug a push button into?

4 Likes

Nope only MKIII

3 Likes

Ahhhh! A swwwiiiiiiing and a miss! Oh well, loopkey it is!

3 Likes

I’ve been meaning to test this but school has been kicking my butt. Thanks for this, I’ll try to verify it this weekend.

Still not sure if I want to cut the rubber covering to get a look at the bottom side, but I can probably guess what they did on the power supply. That shutdown current will go up with age, as the electrolytic capacitor leakage current increases, and I don’t think every single unit will make the cut, since manufacturing variation will have some with higher leakage currents as well as higher buck converter shutdown currents.

3 Likes

And what have you guessed?

The VESC 6+ schematic is not the mk3 schematic, I’m guessing they have some sort of SR-latch circuit that drives the buck enable pin. MCU drives set, off-chip comparator circuit drives reset.

2 Likes

Even if it doubles, or triple, that is really insignificant when you are talking about a 12000mAh battery pack!

I tested two unites, both inside the spec…

1 Like

Yeah, you really don’t need to get it that low, anything under 1mA is good enough.

Two? I’m talking when you look at 100 or 200, one of them is bound to not make the cut :P.

1 Like

If you have a MKIII, then ask the vendor for a MKIII schematic.

7 Likes

So I finally got around to testing it on mine. It stabilized to around 20uA at 36V after a few minutes. Guess Eletrolytic leakage rarely gets close to maximum datasheet specification? (every datasheet specifies worst case being in the hundreds of microamps at these voltages).

It appears that the POWER_SWITCH input directly controls the power state of the ESC, meaning you need a latching pushbutton and it does NOT have smart turn on and turn off. I’m guessing this input is wired directly in an open drain fashion to the buck converter enable pin.
(cue latching push button horror stories).

This also means the positive and negative rails are still live inside of the ESC.

When I get around to implementing shutdown on my ESC, I’m putting the MCU in stop mode for fast wake-up and smart features. I personally get annoyed by the long boot time.

3 Likes

On the VESC forum:

“Discovered the answer to my question…the push button for powering on should be a momentary button.

The overall problem I was having was my MK3 came loaded with VESC 6 “60” bootloader so the firmware wasn’t updating with the correct “60_MK3” bootloader. Now the momentary button starts it right up.”

2 Likes

I was bamboozled I thought the rubber was attached to the enclosure, no it comes right off.

9 Likes

Makes totally sense. Why it should be fixed the the heat sink?