Mini FOC based on VESC6

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I was thinking norwegian.

2 Likes

The MINI FOC uses thirty-six 63v 22uf ceramic capacitors with a total capacity of 792uf

7 Likes

This is still very cool. Thanks for testing it out!

1 Like

After the rainy last week I made it to get a longer run on the mini vescs.
It was an easy cruise along our river. Flat land mostly.
Settings where as following:
Motor 60A/-60A
Battery 35A/-25A
Dual mad hubs 130kV
And here the Metr log to it.

At 18:45:45 I had a short break to take some pictures.
During that time they cooled down from 73 to 55 degree celcius.
So seams the heatsink case does a good job as soon as not more heat is produced.
At 19:01:54 within 20sec a temp rise from 62-77 degree celcius
(small hill from stand still)
At 19:04:39 within 10sec a temp rise from 61-74 degree celcius
(accelerating after short break)
At 19:07:46 within 15sec a temp rise from 59 -71 degree celcius
(accelerating after short break)

So what´s my thoughts after that ride.
The continues rating of 30A is probably a good value to set as bat max value. With 35A in my case I was sometimes close to the thermal reduction which would kick in at 80-85 degree celcius.
If the vescs hit the 60 degree mark for a longer time it´s pretty easy to push the temp up in pretty short time if you for example have to climp a small hill etc.
So if you live in a hilly area, that might be not the best option for you.
I think there is some potential to get more out of them when exposed to air (mine are in the enclosure of my tayto) or if there is some more alu attached as heat sink.

So further plan is to find the time to get some 100m sprint, stop, sprint, stop runs done to see how long it takes till they hit the 80 degree.

After that I might start pimping them up a bit with some extra heat sink, but we will see.
If there are any ideas about what else I can test with them, I’m happy to do so.
Hill climbs are a bit difficult as we don’t have much hill here, but I can see what I can find :wink:

14 Likes
1 Like

made one more test run.
this time a stop and go to get the esc hot as fast as possible.

Managed to get them up to 84 degree celcius but they really fast cooling down again. A stop on traffic lights would be enough to cool down 10-20 degree.
Still 12S with Mad Hubs 130kV, Batt max 35A, Motor max 55A.

Found some heat sinks on AliExpress which theoretically should fit just fine. If they fit also in my enclosure I might mount them and see if I can get a bit more out of the escs.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bzkxTWkY

6 Likes

14 Likes

Hmmm I recognize that picture…and those hands…and my desk on the picture…hmm…:thinking:

Thanks for the help with the remote firmware! :kissing_heart:

13 Likes

now as you said it…i remember this huge red PCB in the background… could be only you…

did you really get firmware or was it ironical?

1 Like

I did get the firmware, I manage to fudge it up tho. Got reciever firmware and put it on the remote :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
when i realised my misstake I got the firmware for the remote as well. Luckely I had the right programmer at work so was 0 issues getting it done.

3 Likes

13 Likes

MINI FOC and MINI FOC PLUS !

9 Likes

What is the difference between the two apart from size?

1 Like

maximum current rating, 30 vs 50A (going from memory, not entirely sure)

2 Likes

Both support Vesc6?

1 Like

V6 architecture based, should run the same SW Version

1 Like

Plus can handle larger currents! Both are v6 hardware

2 Likes

Direct FETs vs No Direct FETs

1 Like

i would like to try a 4wd build with your mini vescs would you recommed 2 dual controllers or 4 single controllers, i plan to test this with my 10s14 battery and 4 190kv motors. as far as seetings im thinking

1 Like

I pulled the trigger on the plus, did you end up adding extra caps to the boards?