Mini FOC based on VESC6

12s, starting on dual hub to get a feeling what they can handle, than dual 6374/84 in case they ready for it. Plan is evtl to add additional heat sink on them for the dual 6384 test. I will get some Metr data as well if nothing get into the way, so it will be fully transparent.

2 Likes

OH yes i am so curious about that. Which hubs will you use?
Meepo style or something else?

the mad hubs 130kV from the GB last year.

1 Like

ah okey, thats will be very interesting :ghost::ghost::ghost:
Cant wait to get your results on this tiny little things.

1 Like

dayum 130kv hubs?
thats gonna be FAST!

1 Like

Ooookey, it took exactly 12days to get my mini maker x to Russia. The package was slightly damaged, but inside it was so well packed that no damage was made to the escs.
To get a bit an understanding how small they are here a comparison:
MakerX->focbox->fsvesc6.6->esk8.de vesc

To get an understanding how slim they are, here a comparison to the focbox

They come with quality 12AWG for phase and main power leads. As well as 4mm bullet connectors and xt60.
I specially asked for some adapter wires for there jst-plugs, so that’s what I got with the escs:

I don’t think it’s really necessary to always send a micro usb cable, but some pre crimped jst plugs for all ports is definitely a nice to have as it’s not the 2mm ph jst plugs we usually use.

The hole case is made out of aluminum and lay solid in the hand :sweat_smile: the screws where secured with loctite as well. A small thing, but never bad.

What I directly missed was the QC sticker
 :joy: i think it’s up to everybody to make his own conclusions if a QC Sticker from China makes a big difference or not.
As somebody before mentioned, the thermal pads look pretty fat, probably 1.5mm. Thinner would be better, but might have effects on the tight fit in the case.

A closer look on both sides of the pcb

As you can see the main leads are covered with fishpaper to not short out with the case. I just wonder why not doing the same for the phase wires? They can as well short out there. I didn’t want to risk that and add some fishpaper on top of the phase wires as well.

Due to the all aluminum case I see as well a small danger that the main leads can short out if the isolation of the wires is a bit too much cut off.

It’s not the best angle but o marked the place I mean in the picture. The wires are going on this place through the case, so as soon as the wire is a bit off it could short out.

I used some liquid tape in addition to just get a bit of extra protection there as well.

So far that’s my personal first impression.
I‘m out for the weekend, but I hope next week I find a time to hook them up to see how they perform in real life.

15 Likes

I just got notice myn are in the country atleast so will probably recieve them in a two-three days.
Good heapdsup about dem power leads. Looks bit scetchy indeed.

It’s not a big thing and an easy fix/improvement for the producer just to add some rubber protection or something similar on the case where the leads come out. The wires not pressed through the two parts of the cover, so it might be possible to do that.

The case is as well protected due to the color, so in fact nothing should happen even if the wire has contact.

But we ride a lot and vibrations manage to damage everything over time, so better save than sorry.

Looking forward to your impressions as well! I think you can give us a good feedback from the quality of the electronics and the overall layout of the vesc.

If you got yours, have a look on the back side of the pcb if the one trace is strengthen with copper as it’s described in a post above. Mine have been like that already.

9 Likes

very interesting how much current this compact VESC can handle.

1 Like

This looks promising. Subscribed

We will get the answer soon :wink:
My plan is to provide some metr data as well as soon as I had some time to get the vescs hooked up. IÂŽm hoping for 30-35A which would be pretty good for that tiny esc.

9 Likes

I can safely say that it can deliver 35-37A (at ~25°C) without any forced airflow (mid air closed widows/door on the bench).
If you pull 50A (stated max. continuous Aparage) from ambient 25°C case temperature, it takes about 3:20 min to get the first “thermal throttle”(it regulates the the Amps down to achieve a MOSFET temp >80°C, which is well below thier rating btw). It continues to to go down as long the case temperature is rising, when it eventually stagnates it will shortly after settle the -what I call it- “real continuous max. Ampere draw at no airflow”. And as I said at about 25°C ambient that is 36±1A.
I will post a little video about that later today or tomorrow.:blush:

I made made these test with the inbuild foc_openloop testing in the vesctool (at very low ERPM, the motor submerged under water to cool it down because quiet frankly a 6355 is also not able to deliver >29A without the airflow, even with that >50A is not realistic in that formfactor (these >65A for motors are actually as cheated as ESC or LiPO Amp ratings).

Also pushing 80A or even a bit higher for split seconds for the initial start up acceleration is no problem, of course.

12 Likes

to equal that to our rides which are usually go up and down with the amps it sound promising for a city cruizer/commuter board.

very tempt to see the video of your testing :ok_hand:

3 Likes

I’m sure it will do just fine as a cruizer, as a single drive it may be a little stretch for that little thing but that is only reasonable.

3 Likes

Can these CAN connect to a standard focbox or two?

These are so small, I could see myself stacking a pair of these easily in such a small space to add 4wd to an existing space constrained 2wd board.

2 Likes

This is my crude (my first video actually :pleading_face:) video of the thermal or Amparage testing of the MINI FOC which was done by foc_openloop testing like Benjamin did in one of his VESC6 related videos.

Please ignore my stuttering, bad english and overall sloppy video quality. I’m not used to speak english nor recording at all :tired_face:
10 Likes

That was super interesting! Did you Test other vesc derivates with the open loop test in the past as well?

1 Like

Good experiment.
I thought MINI FOC was too hot. Need a heatsink to use with ESK8?

Both sides of the esc are covered with an aluminum case which seems like to do a good job holding the esc temp down.

1 Like

The MINI FOC isn’t to hot from a technical standpoint (80°C is way below spec for mosfets) and 65°C case temperature is fine for most plastics. For higher load setups it should get mounted either with direct airflow (backside exposed from the case for example) or with some kind of heatsink.

BUT! As I said only for high load setups, 35A times 42V for a 10S battery are already ~1.5kW after all, who really draws that continuous. In my test I used a classic 6355 motor and the water bath wasn’t obligatory, a 6355 (even on full duty cycle) can’t deal with 35A true continuous load and would be the limiting factor for the setup.
Power wise is the MINI FOC already outperforming the typical cheap VESC without heatsinks (like the Hobbyking SK8-ESC or the Maytech SuperESC VESC4.12) these can’t deliver more than 20-28A and are a bit larger.
I would call a classic dual 6355 esk8 enough for most people. I think the MINI FOC should be even fine for a 6374 motor over all, or at least the MINI FOC plus should work nicely.

8 Likes