Mini FOC based on VESC6

I wouldn’t have added an extra capacitor either if I knew these minis would end up in a 7S build (happened to resurrect my old board with some 25Ah NMC cells :relaxed:). My intentions were different from the beginning and there were few reviews out about the robustness of these escs. I have replaced enough DRVs and I was unsure about this HW design since there were no electrolytes.

Seemed like a sound advice from @linsus earlier and as I said, the guy who designed this esc later gave me the same advice… i think :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

He probably referred to 12S. There is a language barrier and the translator doesn’t always make sense :smile:

Now it is a “peace of mind” and It’s only 680uF extra. If the XT90 will :poop: in the bed so be it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

7s using those 25ah NMC cells must be incredible, im amazed you could find space for them. A lot of stuff seems to get lost in translation with these retailers, unfortunate really I think they have mostly good information.

1 Like

9 Likes

Anyone manage to get anything from this shop lately?

I ordered a mini foc a while back and the tracking number went dormant shortly after.

The ebmakers.com domain has expired.

1 Like

I think there’s a new site that you can find if you click on the link in the first post.

1 Like

They’ve changed: http://www.makerx-tech.com/

4 Likes

Alright, I need some help here. I’ve got a couple of these, but it seems like I can’t update the firmware. It’s on version 3.63, and I need an update so I can do the config wizards.

Every time I try and update, it doesn’t stick. Gives the same firmware version when I reboot.

EDIT: Search function is useful :sweat_smile: Needs a bootloader update, will try that and report back.

EDIT2: Yep, a bootloader flash worked. Odd, I’ve never had to do this before and I’ve used probably 7 brands of vesc.

5 Likes

@YUTW123, is mini FOC hardware, fw sensitive? Can I update the fw without making it useless?
Bout to give these controllers a run fo thier money.

I run FW5 on mine and I see no problem.

I even had a motor short it self to to death on me last time. Luckily the Mini+ is still working.

2 Likes

Should’ve done this along time ago but…

@YUTW123 So I hooked up a power supply to the one of the VESCs setting the supply to 48V and 200mA current limiting. after about 30s the vesc shorted out and i had 3 ohms between plus and minus.
I had to desolder all the ceramic caps from the PCB to figure out where the short where and discovered sevral of the ceramics had internals shorts showing around 2-3 ohm when meassured with a DMM.

Whats the voltage rating of these caps? Also what tolerance are you using on them ±%? Normal practice is to have atleast 30% headroom on ceramics, 12S=50V+ so I’m hoping they’re 75V or 100V rated?

Kind of dissapointed to have failures on the bench, I’d imagine the avrage guy would hook this up to his battery, would be one big cloud of magic smoke with this one.

Edit: second one seems to live on 48V, TBC…

9 Likes

The ceramic capacitor voltage is 63V. 22uf.

We recently discovered this problem: ESCs that use ceramic capacitors, sparks generated when energized will break through the ceramic capacitors. It is necessary to add an electrolytic capacitor to the outside. An increase is necessary … Unless using a Aint spark switch to turn on the power.
What you need to do now is to remove the shorted capacitor. Then add new electrolytic capacitors externally.

5 Likes

It seems that all ESCs with ceramic capacitors have this problem, the most common is on this FPV ESC.

The solution can only be added external electrolytic capacitors, or use electronic switches to start

3 Likes

I’ve seen this happen before, 100V caps were blowing at 50V operation. We junked the reel of caps and changed cap manufacturer, problem solved. Caps should be able sustain their own inrush.

15 Likes

Is there any hope for a still slim redesign of the VESC casing to accommodate for the electrolytic cap? Keeping the cap tucked away and secured is a big plus, and I wouldn’t think it would be too be of a change to the VESC footprint.

Sad part is i had 2200uF lyte on there… Didn’t help :neutral_face:. Wonder if I have this many 100V rated ceramics laying around somewhere…

A very small electrolytic capacitor will do. Although it is 33uf

Clean pcb and a small pile of nope!
Lets see what I can find to replace them…

4 Likes

No need to remove all😥
Keep some. Then connect an external electrolytic capacitor.

Finding the shorted caps is impossible without removing them all.
Since they’re the same cap I’m replacing them all cause if one fails, others might as well.

I’m replacing them with 4.7uF 100V X5R ceramics. They’re expensive as fuck so wont fill all pads but I’ll use 10 and one big 15uF 100V X7R 2220 ceramic. After that I’ll add the electrolyte 2200uF on the powerleads. Its the best I can do atm.

9 Likes

It’s crazy how much cheaper they are in China.

2 Likes