Mid to high end Street board.

Is the higher är output necessary?

Am I comparing a cheaper batter with a cheaper or are they different in size?

I think I am going to ge both set of wheels. I’m a classic longboarder and believe I prefer urethane but so many people seem to like Pnumatics so it must be fun.

The higher current output plays a role in a phenomenon referred to as voltage sag,
Cells will have a lower voltage if you pull a lot of current from them, but they bounce back once the current draw is lower.
Having high output cells means that the voltage sag will be less and the cell is able to sustain a higher voltage under load.

The samsung 30q are tried and tested and are very good cells, same with the p42a, so you cant go wrong with either one, but if you have the space and don’t mind the extra weight I’d recommend going with the p42a since they should sag a bit less.

With regards to urethane vs pneumatics, I’ve been using urethane wheels on my commuter board now for 2 years (never skateboarded before that). They work fine if you have good bike paths but they’re a bit rough on normal roads, I’ve taken them on gravel paths as well but I don’t recommend it.

I recently got a second board with pneumatic wheels and the difference is quite substantial, with the urethane wheels on my commute I started remembering where certain cracks are in the pavement and know to slow down for them, a lot of these cracks I don’t even notice on pneumatics.

The downside to pneumatic wheels are that the power consumption goes up (almost double but not quite) and that you might get flats. The difference is similar to a racing car with very stiff suspension (urethane) and a normal soccer-mom van (pneumatics). Both types have their advantages but I personally am starting to like the pneumatics more even thou I have less than 100km on them, vs ~3000km on urethane.

5 Likes

Awesome. I read about the problem with voltage sag but I had no idea which battery handled it better.
I will surely ho with Ben’s and your suggestion of the P42A. I really appreciate you taking your time to explain these things to me.

Which setups do you have on your boards?

3 Likes

97mm urethane wheels (supposedly 73A but in reality closer to 80A) and 175mm pneumatics (innova inline)

I have a set of TB110 78A as well but haven’t ridden those yet, but they feel softer than the 97mm “73A”

4 Likes

The TBs are a game changer, I can’t even imagine what the softer versions feel like. Feels like they’re cheating somehow :laughing:

5 Likes

I want these now. And lucky me. Bioboards sell them. :star_struck:

4 Likes

I’m considering putting a 14S4P P42A inside instead of the 12S3P.

Range will be 60% better.

Are there any negative aspects of doing this?

1 Like

Need a HV ESC which are generally a bit more expensive, Spintend Ubox and Stormcore 100D are good choices for HV. Other than that, more speed = more fun

We were going to go with the Spintend anyway so that’s great :smiley:

Weight. And it will drastically limit your ESC choice as most ESCs top out at 12S. But definitely weight.

So a 12s would be much lighter and has pretty much the same range?

I would prefer lower weight.

No, less cells is lighter. Regardless of series count.

14 x 4 = 56 cells x 67g = 3.75kg
12 x 3 = 36 cells x 67g = 2.4kg

Range will also be based on cell count, and not so much connected to series count.

Most VESCs top out at 12S. A few do more.

1 Like

Thank you. Much appreciated.

I think I’m going to go with the 12S4P.

Which ESC would you choose for this build?

We were initially going for Spintend but I’ve been looking at the Xenith also.

Xenith would be good, Stormcore 60D always a good pick, MakerX DV6, Spintend Ubox are my recommendations

Are you concerned with range at all? 12s4p is on the lower end for thane and you’re not going to get much on pnummies

2 Likes

12s4p with molicels is pretty darn good for thane, not sure if you even need more. But yeah, might disappoint on pneumies.

3 Likes

It’s Molicel. With the calculator I got a range of 60km
With 110mm thane and about half of that with Pnumatics. I know my wife and she won’t let me leave the house alone for more than two hours :joy:

Am I not calculating correctly?

30km on pneumatics, give or take 3km. Not too bad for general use and it charges in just over an hour with a good charger

1 Like

Urethane gives between 7 to 12-13wh/km
Pneumatics give between 17-18 to 25wh/km (or more, some do 30wh/km+ but ride like animals at over 70km/hr)

I have no idea about anything really. This startedat 12S3P and now I upgraded one step but maybe it’s better to go 12s6p and not look back.

I don’t know how much of a price difference it if?