Metr Pro Updates

@rpasichnyk, is possible to load a XML file with motor/app settings with metr? I do it often with the laptop. I didn’t find the option in metr app, but maybe is there.
Thanks!

Any consideration towards adding a realtime video/stats overlay like the old ESC Monitor app?

If someone goes full send with field weaking it would be cool to watch the video and stats in realtime.

Yes, I have plans for improving overlay options. Right now you can do it with VIRB Edit https://metr.at/overlay but I am thinking about a simpler solution

3 Likes

Hey,

I would like to use the metr with a smartwatch.

I want to get the cheapest one out there, as i would use it only for eskate.
When i look for smartwatches, the cheap ones seem to be running some generic os and not real android wear os.

Can someone reccomend me a cheap watch with realz wear os ?

2 Likes

There’s this growing pain I have noticed nowadays. Sometimes Metr app just doesn’t want to even initiate the bluetooth connection. You just launch the app, board is on prior and nothing. Disconnected. Fixed by either keeping bluetooth off for at least 10 minutes and the restarting the app or sometimes requires fully rebooting the phone itself. Once it gets thru very slow “Pairing” and “Connecting” (30+ seconds) it doesn’t drop connection. Never did.

@rpasichnyk are you aware of this or could it be my phone/module dying?

APP version: 4.8.18
Module: Metr PRO
Module FW version: 5.28

I wonder if logs would even show what’s happening? I could try to get them and upload them I guess…

1 Like

Yes, logs should give me some info, please collect them as described here https://forum.esk8.news/t/the-definitive-guide-to-metr-app-metr-pro/3109#heading–troubleshooting and send to support@metr.at

3 Likes

Collected and sent. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the logs! What phone are you using?

1 Like

Xiaomi RedMi K20 with Android 10. This phone didn’t lose bluetooth for at least a year, now it does. Cheap phone woes? :smiley:

1 Like

Sometimes android system updates change bluetooth functionality. Even patch updates, this happened with one of the Samsung phones that I tested with. Unfortunately I don’t have RedMi K20 so what I can do is to once again perform tests with the android device park I have access to and hope some other phone has similar issue. I do this periodically and it has been a while since the last time.

One more idea, it might have something to do with FlexiBMS. When Metr app starts, the first thing it tries to do is to fetch system information for all CAN bus devices. If FlexiBMS does not respond it might feel like some connection issue. You can go to Metr - Settings - Miscellaneous and disable “Detect DieBie/Flexi”. If that helps consider updating FlexiBMS firmware. I noticed you are using FlexiBMS 0.15 and if I remember correctly there were some changes to make CAN communication more stable.

3 Likes

Allright, when I disassemble my board again I will update FlexiBMS to 0.18 from 0.15 and see what happens. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was intending on doing the same thing, however somewhere I believe I recall hearing the android wear stuff has had mixed success with Metr as the androidwear platform is segmented and maybe dying out? Anyways, I too would love some sort of display accessible without needing to look at my phone and I think a smartwatch would be sick.

I’ve also toyed with buying a cheapo old android phone and installing Metr and somehow mounting it for use as a display on my board… idk though!

1 Like

If you consider second hand market, Huawei Watch GT 2 might be an option. I bought one for testing for €50. Otherwise look for model that supports Wear OS 2.0 and above

There is a better way of doing it, DAVEGA X

7 Likes

True, I could go the DAVEGA X route and those things are super impressive - but I already have a Metr and was trying to think of possible quick ways to use what I have without wiring up more into my ESC and enclosure.

Not sure this is even possible, but I think it would be amazing if they had a device like a DAVEGA but instead of connecting directly to the board for power and metrics it had a rechargeable battery for power and wirelessly connected to the Metr for it’s data. Anyways, maybe that’s just me and I’m just being lazy about the whole thing haha

Thanks for the watch recommendation though, I will certainly check that out!

2 Likes

I had a similar issue as @Murloc992 is describing on an system with iPhone, MetrPro, FlexiBMS, FireflyNano & 2FocBoxes.
The problem seemed to be related to the way the Metr app initiate the connexion, but simply killing the app and restarting it was solving the problem.

Symptoms were :
~70% of the time, the app was getting stuck just after starting it, while it was initiating the bluetooth connexion. When the green circle shows, it was blinking slower than usual before staying stuck in it’s green state with apparently no more data being exchanged.
Restarting the app as many times as needed was solving the problem. It seems that Metr doesn’t have a timeout delay after which it would initiate a new connexion if the first attempt isn’t successful.

I managed to increase the rate of successful connexions by decreasing the noise generated by a cheap DC-DC step down converter (powering the lights) and then shielding the CAN bus, as I also noticed that the receiver’s antenna distance to the CAN bus wires was having an impact on the Metr app connexion issue.

After getting better results (Metr connection failure rate was then down to ~ 35%) I reduced the frequency at which the receiver was polling the VESC’s (through UART), suspecting that it could decrease the traffic on the CAN bus (I don’t know if it actually does, but it greatly improved the situation).
I finally got ~90% successful connexions when starting the Metr app.

Disabling “Detect DieBie/Flexi” didn’t have a noticeable effect.

I’m guessing a possible aproach could be to give Metr anywhere between 5s and 10s to initiate a connexion, and if not successful restart the process automatically. Successful attempts are usually taking less than 3s.

5 Likes

If you have access to a 3D printer, an old android, drawing up a mount sounds like a fun idea… I’d only do it if it was free with materials I have on hand… I’ve got one board I’d like to get a Davega on though and I couldn’t be hassled to even do that though… (you got me thinking now though cause I got the phone, the filament, and time to draw a mount.) Either way if you’re planning on spending anything, my suggestion would be to just spring for the Davega… It’s so bullet proof, refined experience, and like mentioned elsewhere it pairs great with Metr Pro in practice.

1 Like

Not sure if its a bug on unity 5.+ dual hub, but since updating i cant get to the expert tab.

I can however use the TCP bridge

futher investigation only got me as far as getting the comminication error on IOS but granted its an older IOS so that might be the cause in itself

checking app store cant even find metr, but i know i aint updating that iOS :smiley:

I updated the Metr Unity first (check connection its solid)

then upodated to the newest FW 5.02 fom the version just before.

1 Like

Glad I am not the only one. :slight_smile: I don’t have any DC-DC converters or anything in my board. Metr just doesn’t want to cooperate sometimes.

Disabling FlexiBMS detection didn’t have any effect.

Will need to wait some time until I can take the board apart and upgrade the FlexiBMS firmware.

2 Likes

Have you found a solution to my Mode switching issue?

Yes, as I remember that was more a cosmetic issue right? After you restart the board app still shows temp mode applied which is no longer the case, right?

1 Like