Metr Pro connection?

Hey Guys, just got my hands on a Metr Pro Bluetooth module which looks like a great module but I cant for the life of me get it to chooch!

Rundown, its a Flipsky mini 50 VESC running 4.20 firmware fitted to my custom electric scooter.

ADC throttle and brake work through the same connector, TX/RX, 3.3v and GND goes to the Metr

The module switches on, I can connect to it but both VESC Tool and Metr app cant read the Vesc firmware.

Green light is on and blue flashes when not connected then stops flashing when connected.

Am I missing something?

try setting baud rate for the uart to 115200 bps. vesc config: app settings -> uart

what you describe is how it behaves if the modules baud rate doesn’t match the vesc. the phone will connect to module but module can’t communicate to vesc because mismatched baud rate.

Hmm thats odd, seems to already be set to 115200

baud

This is the APP settings

set

hmm. well, that was the easy guess. it can still be some other communications issue between vesc and module. double check wiring?

Answered your Email. I am guessing you haven’t updated the Metr Pro firmware and running VESC FW > 4.X.

I think you mixed up the LED colors @fessyfoo. When green light is on like @Tommy describes the UART communication works.

1 Like

right. :man_facepalming:

sometimes if 115200 doesn’t work, 9600 does. Give her a go

Metr Pro does automatic UART baudrate detection. So it would detect if you use 115200 or 9600 automatically and just works afterwards.

Changing UART baudrate is only necessary for “old” Metr modules, VESC Connect modules, HM-10 based modules etc. or for an example when you go from 9600 to 115200 for faster realtime date update time.

3 Likes

Thanks for the help everyone!

I downgraded the VESC and it worked straight away.

I found out after that the new metr firmware supports 4.20 so I’ll upgrade again later.
Wasn’t very clear on how to update the metr pro module, turns out you tap on the gear icon that I never thought was a button haha

5 Likes

interesting, i’ve only had my metr pro for 2 months. I had swapped it between two vescs, and the one at 9600 didn’t work until I switched it vesc side.

I just tested it again now and it works both on 115200 and 9600 flawlessly and detected baudrate automatically. Are you sure there wasn’t something else forgotten like turning on “UART + PPM” first?

1 Like

I’m reasonably confident all I did was change the baud rate. hm-10 was on one side metr pro was on the other. and I was swaping them. so one was UART, the other was UART + PPM already. and I’m pretty clear about not getting mixed up with load config, change config, write config. and change one thing at a time. That said… who knows. if I get an opportunity i’ll test that again. mines one data point, explains why I was confused but I defer to your observations for correctness.

That would be great. Please let us know how it goes.

Well, I haven’t had any time to do the swap again. but then I realized I could just do the simpler test of switching baud rates.

switched vesc to 9600 from 115200, and metr auto adapted. disconnected vesc tool and reconnected and it worked. reloaded defaults then reloaded current values to show that indeed 9600 was on the vesc. it was.

switch vesc from 9600 to 115200 and for a minute or two I was unable to connect. blue tooth connected but vesc tool said “could not determine firmware version” or the like. power cycled the vesc and metr pro. after which things connected.

so… it works. but I must have been in whatever state the second switch showed and I thought it wasn’t auto detecting.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for doing the test and letting us know the result.

4 Likes

Hey guys, new problem.
3 lights lit up when power on and stay lit?
Cannot connect via Bluetooth, seems dead all together.

Any ideas?

Sort circuit / water damage?

Short circuit is possible but unlikely.
Any way to fix?

Well if all 3 leds light up right after power up, there is most likely some unrecoverable damage to Metr Pro. Usually blue led should light up first, after 4 seconds green, and red if there is some error.

I would like to continue this topic a bit and ask you one question meanwhile @rpasichnyk . I am also using adc and uart this time for an ebike motor.
One thing got me confused. Your module is using all the pins including adc1 and adc 2. Am I able to use an adc throttle when the metr module already has these ports in use ? Since the older models and this nrf module from flipsky don’t use the adc ports. With those I would be able to wire to the 3.3v, gnd and adc1. But now I am not sure if I can. Hope I explained it clearly and maybe you could help me out :smiley:.