Metr LTE is here | GPS tracker with SIM card designed for ESK8

I get it. There’s a slight irony though in limiting LTE data usage (and usage in general) only to have the costs carried to another of your LTE service subscriptions. I get it that that’s probably more cost-effective but allowing the user to make that decision (ie. I’ll buy another $15 top-up sooner in exchange for untethered functionality) would be a winner.

I’m gonna pass on this for now but I’ll be keeping a close eye on those firmware updates!

1 Like

How to connect vesctool to metr lte remotely?

1 Like

I don’t get the question, LTE-M is not using 2G networks (that’s why support is still limited in some countries). The reason for LTE-M is nrf9160 chipset by Nordic Semiconductor. They have great SDK with examples and it’s a pleasure to work with. The SiP works globally and the size is impressively small.

Such procedure does not exist at the moment.

No, Metr Pro CAN and Metr LTE are currently compatible with VESC-style CAN protocol.

1 Like

Did you talk to Benjamin? What does he think about Metr LTE?

I know Benjamin is usually very busy and I had no reason important enough to consume his time. I hope he will like Metr LTE when he reads about it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your answers. I remember Benjamin talking about LTE connectivity somewhere that’s why I asked.

I hope metr LTE pushes features and the project as whole into this. Lot’s of possibilities

1 Like

I believe the “over” in that context was as in “prefer something over something else”, not as in “use one technology on top of other technology”.

3 Likes

2g is literally being shut down lmao what are y’all talking about. Let’s bring back micro USB

1 Like

Yes, definitely, thanks for helping me understand English :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You should make an Ethernet metr for more options :joy:

4 Likes

There will be at least 2 ways to keep Metr LTE always ON:

1. 5V step down from the main battery
  2. Pass-through powerbank

Will be working on adding support for those and testing in the coming days! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Sorry for my novice understanding of setting this up with a dual controller setup (two VESC 6 MKV’s that are not internally CAN connected.) So would I just connect the Metr LTE CAN cable (with the larger connector I think JST PH?) to the CAN port on VESC1, but the other cable it came with has two smaller form factor 4 pin connectors (one side will go into the Metr LTE, and where would the other side connect to?) Perhaps a simple diagram or picture would help a lot and be greatly appreciated.

Also is there any sort of tutorial or instructions or any documentation showing how to use the GPS features once everything is connected? Thanks much for all your hard work!

1 Like

Updated firmware, plugged LTE into one CAN port that my Metr Pro is connected via UART. I tested the tracking, and it’s saying Im in Germany somewhere… but im definitely in Northern Virginia.

1 Like

Your Metr LTE was tested in Germany before shipping, that’s probably why. Wait until GPS module gets the fix (red LED on GPS starts blinking).

We should add some tutorial, I agree. In the meantime, don’t hesitate to ask any questions!

1 Like

What do you mean wait until GPS module gets the fix, is that something I can do or is on your end?

it can take a few seconds for the satellites to lock onto the GPS Module. It happens automatically, you just need to give it the chance to do it (i.e, not hiding in a bunker or something :smiley: )

1 Like

Easily 10-15 minutes indoors xD

Alright thanks got the gps tracking working properly now! But I had to unplug the CAN cable between the two vescs to get it to work.

How can I set it up so I can have dual motor control with the LTE plugged in as well? (Without just doing split PPM)

1 Like

I think we just had 1 CAN cable included, sorry :poop: I will check with @hexakopter
You can solder a CAN splitter that goes between both VESCs and Metr Pro LTE. Or buy another one like these CAN bus cable – shop.metr.at, Metr LTE has 2 CAN ports which are already bridged.

You want to have it like this:

Group 4

4 Likes

Perfect, thank you! This was exactly what I was looking for! :100:

Edit: there were two CAN cables included btw.

1 Like