Metr LTE is here | GPS tracker with SIM card designed for ESK8

Metr Pro CAN already has a housing (with SD card and GPS). For basic version of Metr Pro CAN and Metr LTE there are no plans to have a housing.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m thinking one housing to house both units… like an extended version of the existing housing. A ‘semi-detached’ as they say.

@SabreDynamics made the existing CAN housing, right? Could he, for example, be enabled to produce said semi-detached?

3 Likes

Curious and also a lot of random questions.

When you order the Metr Pro LTE w/ GPS, which module does it come with (BN-180 or the BN-250)

Same question regarding the Metr Pro CAN w/ SD. Which GPS module does it come with?

Would it be better to just order both Metr Pro Can w/ SD + LTE without GPS modules and do a add-on order of individual GPS modules for BN-250’s?

Do The LTE and Metr Pro Can w/ SD use the same GPS modules?

Also

In theory based on setup #1 can we and or what would happen if we put two GPS modules on the unit? (One in the SD card shield port and one in the LTE port) :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, @SabreDynamics did the Metr CAN + SD housing. I think it makes sense for us to also look into a combined housing in the future, but there is no timeline set for it at the moment.

All Metr Pro CAN / LTE bundles with GPS come with the BN-250 now. We decided that the larger antenna and integrated flash is a bigger advantage than the downside of the slightly bigger dimensions. For people that still need the smallest possible GPS module we are selling the BN-180 separately now.

Yes, they are using the same BN-250 GPS when buying them bundled with a GPS. The only difference is the cable because the Metr LTE has an other UART pin layout compare to the Metr CAN + SD. For Metr LTE it isn’t important which side of the JST SH cable is plugged to the GPS and which to the LTE port. For Metr CAN + SD it is important to connect it the right way. Have a look at the following pictures to see what I mean.

Thats a question for @rpasichnyk. Not sure how it would behave with the current implementation.

6 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this for awhile, this will definitly pull me into Metr!

Few questions, is there a more rugged LTE antenna compatible?

My setup will most likely be #4, how much ride data can be stored and logged? Is it possible to log data on cloud?

What’s the procedure to connect vesctool to it?

Is it compatible with UavCAN and rise sdvp?
Thanks!

2 Likes

With this setup only battery level, speed and location are sent to the cloud with 10 seconds interval (to save data, however you can shorten the interval to 3-5 seconds). Metr LTE is not a replacement for regular records, where a lot more data is logged with high detail.

Regular records are still taken over BLE when you have your phone around. Otherwise I recommend Setup #1 with SD card.

Ah! Well good you cleared that up. I’d indeed expected a fully untethered logging solution there.

What’s the limitation then? Data plan longevity?

2 Likes

There are no hardware limitations, in theory Metr LTE should be capable of sending full telemetry over LTE. But I think it is not practical because megabytes on SIM card are limited. It will also require a lot of development efforts to change from how things are working at the moment.

This is new technology for ESK8 and the plan is to carefully explore it, I think location / battery / speed information is a good start. But I am certain mobile connection will be used more over time. And Metr LTE firmware updates will make it possible.

2 Likes

Superb job! One question - why LTE over 2G comms? I work in an industrial telematics company and our hardware guys swear by 2G modems as most networks still support them and the parts are way cheaper. As I understand, for our usecase data rates have little impact.

2 Likes

I get it. There’s a slight irony though in limiting LTE data usage (and usage in general) only to have the costs carried to another of your LTE service subscriptions. I get it that that’s probably more cost-effective but allowing the user to make that decision (ie. I’ll buy another $15 top-up sooner in exchange for untethered functionality) would be a winner.

I’m gonna pass on this for now but I’ll be keeping a close eye on those firmware updates!

1 Like

How to connect vesctool to metr lte remotely?

1 Like

I don’t get the question, LTE-M is not using 2G networks (that’s why support is still limited in some countries). The reason for LTE-M is nrf9160 chipset by Nordic Semiconductor. They have great SDK with examples and it’s a pleasure to work with. The SiP works globally and the size is impressively small.

Such procedure does not exist at the moment.

No, Metr Pro CAN and Metr LTE are currently compatible with VESC-style CAN protocol.

1 Like

Did you talk to Benjamin? What does he think about Metr LTE?

I know Benjamin is usually very busy and I had no reason important enough to consume his time. I hope he will like Metr LTE when he reads about it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your answers. I remember Benjamin talking about LTE connectivity somewhere that’s why I asked.

I hope metr LTE pushes features and the project as whole into this. Lot’s of possibilities

1 Like

I believe the “over” in that context was as in “prefer something over something else”, not as in “use one technology on top of other technology”.

3 Likes

2g is literally being shut down lmao what are y’all talking about. Let’s bring back micro USB

1 Like

Yes, definitely, thanks for helping me understand English :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You should make an Ethernet metr for more options :joy:

4 Likes

There will be at least 2 ways to keep Metr LTE always ON:

1. 5V step down from the main battery
  2. Pass-through powerbank

Will be working on adding support for those and testing in the coming days! :slight_smile:

8 Likes