Meepo Hurricane Discussion

Definitely not. foam and some steel bars

2 Likes

That’s pretty gutsy. How do you like the trucks so far?

Oh wow… that gives me the heeby jeebies. Don’t die.

1 Like

It looks like the slot was milled out anyways and just painted/epoxied on the side.

Edit: they probably cut out the fibreglass in the middle there and painted it.

Gotta sand it down and paint it black.

2 Likes

Of course not lol, most carbon things have honeycomb in them

1 Like

Sanded down some of the epoxy and painted the inside of cutout black and clear coated it gloss. Didn’t have any matte clear.

4 Likes

Hey, anybody mounted a loopkey onto their hurricane? if so, where?

1 Like

Why would you need one unless you have another esc

Because it’s safer and more reliable that the proprietary switch garbage meepo ships

1 Like

Im running a vesc in my hurricane along with an external battery, i want to be able to isolate at least 1.
ended up editing a design i found on thingiverse for a riser pad

Agreed though on high end boards lacroix, bioboards, hoyt i dont see them.
So when does that loopkey come into play.
I understand that its safer than anything else regardless the quality or price so why wouldnt that be a standard on highend boards.

1 Like

Because a button is a “quality of life” improvement.

People like the look of buttons and the use of buttons, making them a more “premium” feature.

Anyone doing DIY likely isn’t too concerned with “flex” features for minimal quality of life improvement.

Loopkeys replace the antispark and button circuitry entirely by giving the user access to a hard battery disconnect with the loopkey it’s self having an antispark resistor and in case the resistor blows the key is easily replaceable.

But an LED lit button will always be viewed as “nicer” by most people, even if it isn’t better.

Companies like BioBoards, Hoyt, Lacroix, etc aren’t in the business of making the “best esk8”. They’re in the business of making the esk8 that will sell the best.

:laughing: i think i need a loopkey. Lesson learnt. :ok_hand:t3:

1 Like

I left one of my Hurricane batteries untouched for like 8 months. How can I test if the battery is fine? I am worried that the cells might have become imbalanced.

A multimeter to check the voltage

3 Likes

If main batt voltage is good, put the pack on charge. If it charges to 50.4ish volts it’s good.

4 Likes

No deck is, they’re all urethane inside. The real differences lies in the amount of layers, origin of the layers (Taiwan and Japan are usually your best bet), model of the layers (T700 and up are more than competent) and how much epoxy you can suck out of the composite after soaking everything. The geometry of the deck somewhat matters too, but usually esk8 decks aren’t too hard to make well. My go-to test for decks is the full might of a 220lbs stomp at the dropdown (right behind the baseplate), hurricane took that test like a champ whilst the deck of a certain 12s3p board from a certain company running red accented motors snapped like a twig

5 Likes

Is it safe to connect 2 Hurricane batteries in parallel to make it 12s8p? Joined mains into a single xt90 and joined charge port wires. Is that safe?

What happens if the battery capacities are not exactly the same? One battery might have a lower capacity because of higher cycle count.

1 Like

Safe? No.
That doesn’t mean it’s inherently dangerous though, just riskier depending on how it’s all done, the condition of the cells, etc. There might be no issues at all doing this or you could flame both packs.

The lower capacity pack will force the higher capacity pack to supply more current if you discharge them low enough. This can heat up the higher capacity pack, aging it faster and perhaps even damaging it if you are running them hard.

They will charge at different rates too, dividing the charging current based on the pack internal resistance. This may or may not be an issue, depending on how fast you are charging. Slower is better until how the current divides is known.

If the packs are at different voltage levels when connected then you can have all sort of issues, depending on how far apart their voltages are.

Each pack needs its own BMS too.

I recommend not paralleling packs unless you have experience doing this, know what to expect and how to prevent any issues, and have taken all the necessary safety precautions.

6 Likes