Meepo Gear Drives

Spur gear is loud but that it make awesome noise, power transfer is not as smooth as helical gear but it transfer more efficient because the power transfer contract point is not slide along helix angle and lost to the friction from poor surface finish from raw hobbing process, unrest those helical gears got surface hardening and precision ground.
Dont forget about axial load from helix angle.

1 Like

This is also a point of inefficiency as some rotational force is translated to axial force.

1 Like

Yup that is why most of large cnc machines that use gear driven spindle still use spur or double helical gear in they spindle, mitigate the unnecessary axial force that going translate to inconsistent surface and flatness surface in milling process.

2 Likes

I get that people want kewl new stuff but whats actually wrong with a belt?

2 Likes

For forward mounted setups, rocks and other debris

For reverse mounted setups for larger boards, things like having a sealed drivetrain is better for people who like abusing the shit out of the boards. I primarily ride gravel trails at this point where belts just wouldn’t hold up.

3 Likes

Freeroll is shit on belts.

3 Likes

I’m looking for more braking power, my belts skip. It’ll be curious to see Meepos drive quality

1 Like

I’m the type of guy that are too lazy to do those unnecessary small maintenance very often in drivetrain section, i rather properly set it up and abuse it until something is goner.

2 Likes

No belt skip
More durable
More free roll
Pretty
Low maintenance (ish)

3 Likes

We’re talking about drivetrains Ryan, not your dad.

1 Like

Just admit it - gear drives are cool

3 Likes

I’m not against them at all but them having become the norm, even for new builders on apparent budgets, seems nuts.

2 Likes

That sounds like user error. Don’t overtighten your belts.

Then they will skip

2 Likes

gears are more efficient and require no parts replacements (nothing breaks)

1 Like

Well nothings are perfect, every type of drivetrain have they own up and down side.
Hope everyone knew about this fact to prevent unnecessary arguments.

Idk why LS would skip belts like crazy. I don’t have that issue with my thane board. Maybe it’s your pulley or belt quality but our setups were very similar yet I get no slippage

That’s just untrue

4 Likes

just over a year on mine, only needed some re-lubing. my wheel adaptor broke recently but that was because it was 1st batch and not manufactured as well as more recent parts.

maybe I’m biased because my only experience is with boardnamics all steel gears but this is by far the MOST reliable drivetrain I’ve ever used besides hubs. belts can’t even hold a candle until they make an unbreakable belt.

2 Likes

You’re wrong because youre basing it on only your experience, not the experiences of everyone. Gears break, and gears breaking is often catastrophic, but they break so much less than belts.

4 Likes