MBS Matrix iii (3) discussion

I would prefer metric too, but I’m not the one signing Joel’s pay cheques. 🤷

Just trying to promote modularity, and avoiding a hotdog in a hallway situation between wheel bearing and axle. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I had to learn how to use the Imperial system when I became a woodworker. In construction it is mandatory to use imperial measures

1 Like

Isn’t it still confusing though? For example a 2x4 is actually 1-1/2"x3-1/2", while a 1x6 is 3/4"x5-1/2". If it actually matched up it’d be great, but lumber rarely does at all.

4 Likes

those are only easier to speak. when you build, you use actual measurements :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

10 Likes

white-monkey-confused

12 Likes

Honestly not really, lumber measures are pretty standard and any wood worker will be able to easily fraction up to 1/64" and will also know that 1/64" is a 0.4mm step. I feel like most people in the metric world use 0.5-1mm as a standard minimum discernable measurement to the human eye so it’s just fractions vs decimals at that point. Not to mention almost every piece of industrial machinery has conversion tables on the front. Lumber and machining are the last holdouts for imperial.

8 Likes

And skate hardware :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Anything below 1/32" is officially a c-hair.

7 Likes

Its a bee’s dick here

7 Likes

I was quite surprised when I asked my machinest neighbor if he could tap a M3 hole for me in a heatsink and he said he’d have to dig around in the bins to find the tap. Sounds like a rarely used item in his shop.

3 Likes

Every human around me above 40 years old that worked in machining is die hard imperial I’ve found as well.

5 Likes

You’re just a fucking imperial apologist, m8 :face_with_monocle:

pun intended xD

4 Likes

Not I, but I use both daily. After a 10 year stint with a German company, working primarily in the automotive sector, i quickly learned metric is absolutely king, in every way.
Now, I design automated machinery for a company that as been stuck in the imperial system since the 1950’s. It’s been like pulling teeth, but all my machines are metric.

9 Likes

Are you able to narrow down to a quarter?

5 Likes

Results after a month of voting

7 Likes

to the 49% who wanted oil slick…
bruh

4 Likes

30 years ago when they were at school they were still taught in Imperial and the machinist they learnt from worked in Imperial.

Before CNC and computers there was no real reason to switch over to metric.

3 Likes

That’s a pretty flawed percentage :rofl:

1 Like

It’s cus people were allowed to vote for multiple colors. It’s not supposed to add up to 100%, it’s more like:

“60% of responses had black as one of their selections.”
“60% of responses had gunmetal as one of their selections.”
“49% of responses had oil slick as one of their selections.”
Etc.

(I know you were making a joke and probably know this already, I’m just writing it out for anyone who was like me and was total baffled by the 269% total that all the percentages add up to :joy::metal:)

6 Likes