MBS Matrix iii (3) discussion

It’s never too early to switch to metric. 10mm is the future. Why not lead instead of lag?

I don’t think there is much 9.525mm stuff now – I know Trampa has a lot but haven’t heard of it anywhere else. Maybe there is… …sounds like maybe some old MBS stuff anyway…

But either way, metric is the future.

Totally nothing wrong with 12mm though, why do you want a smaller option?

6 Likes

So crazy peeps can put urethane on channels

8 Likes

What the faster typer said. And I’m all about metric. We just do a custom 9.5x22mm bearing that’s the same spec as a 608, but with the id bored out a bit. All else the same. The inner race is thinner but we’ve never had a problem with strength. But I’m worried if I pushed it further to 10mm we might… Anyhow, still open on this, sooo listening.

3 Likes

Even I’m not crazy enough to do that

3 Likes

I’m all for removable axles, but i think it’s madness putting urethane on channels.

10 Likes

I feel like I’m probably the most likely person to do that, and even I think it’s absurd :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Unless you’re making a full on drift board, it looks silly.

1 Like

Sorry to be so stark but you’re wrong. Metric is objectively better. Inches are for measuring paintings and dicks

As for the smaller axle, i prefer metric but as long as theres 12mm I really dont care.

4 Likes

Hey…

lol did you know standard rkp axles are actually imperial? The non precision ones are 5/16in (7.93mm) diameter

5 Likes

I would prefer metric too, but I’m not the one signing Joel’s pay cheques. 🤷

Just trying to promote modularity, and avoiding a hotdog in a hallway situation between wheel bearing and axle. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I had to learn how to use the Imperial system when I became a woodworker. In construction it is mandatory to use imperial measures

1 Like

Isn’t it still confusing though? For example a 2x4 is actually 1-1/2"x3-1/2", while a 1x6 is 3/4"x5-1/2". If it actually matched up it’d be great, but lumber rarely does at all.

4 Likes

those are only easier to speak. when you build, you use actual measurements :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

10 Likes

white-monkey-confused

12 Likes

Honestly not really, lumber measures are pretty standard and any wood worker will be able to easily fraction up to 1/64" and will also know that 1/64" is a 0.4mm step. I feel like most people in the metric world use 0.5-1mm as a standard minimum discernable measurement to the human eye so it’s just fractions vs decimals at that point. Not to mention almost every piece of industrial machinery has conversion tables on the front. Lumber and machining are the last holdouts for imperial.

8 Likes

And skate hardware :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Anything below 1/32" is officially a c-hair.

7 Likes

Its a bee’s dick here

7 Likes

I was quite surprised when I asked my machinest neighbor if he could tap a M3 hole for me in a heatsink and he said he’d have to dig around in the bins to find the tap. Sounds like a rarely used item in his shop.

3 Likes