MakerX motors .up to 5KW super violent N63100 Brushless motor

Alright here’s an update for people who are intersted in these motors. They are good in concept, but there are some serious things that could be improved.

1: Phase wire and sensor wire length. They are just WAY too short. I would say that the Maytech motors have it perfect, about 300mm length on phase wires and 500mm on the sensor wires. You can always tuck away extra wire, but extending the phase wires and sensor wires is a real pain. This is especially true for applications where you are swapping motors onto an existing board. With the lengths that the phase wires and sensors are at, you are pretty much guranteed to need extensions.

2: Assembly quality. Overall it was pretty nice. There are some nice touches like epoxy that goes over the hall sensors, but there is a major issue. I’m making this post on behalf of @KaramQ because I helped him out on a swap he’s doing. The major issue here comes where the phase wires are routed inside the motor. This particular swap involved a Lacroix board, Lacroix mounts, and the usage of the smaller 30mm mounting pattern on the motors. The issue comes in where the 30mm mounting pattern meets the phase wires. Namely, the phase wires are DIRECTLY underneath the holes. While this is a specific application, having them right underneath the holes is risky, and with the default Lacroix motor bolts, the phases short out through the faceplate of the motor. I was able to give Karam some new motor mounting screws to use instead, that are a bit shorter. However, I was not able to do anything about the phase wires being right underneath the holes.

3: Balance? Stator rubbing? Noises? One of the motors from the factory came with a weird noise, kind of like weird bearing noise. However, after opening it up, it appeared that the stator was actually rubbing on some of the magnents. Not really sure if this is a fluke or not, but just presenting information.

4: Phase wire hole space. This is the biggest issue that I found when assembling. The hole that the phase wires come out of is so tight that it almost feels like it’s cutting the sensor wires. On one motor, the mesh that goes around the phase wires was actually cut a bit. I would recommend making the hole a little bit bigger or improving assembly.

Below are some pictures that I took with the motors disassembled

11 Likes

Out of curiosity, are you running sensored or sensorless? I feel like I would be inclined to run sensorless because of a potential short what with the issue you pointed out. Maybe I’m just paranoid. :sweat_smile:

I am not the one setting it up, that would be a Karam question. Personally I’d probably run HFI if I was setting it up on that Lacroix with the Stormcore

1 Like

This is such a weak point on bldc motors… if you took the wires out you could coat the edge in something to prevent cuts or install some kind of rubber grommet.

2 Likes

Yeah, thing is, when they have the heatshink on them like this, they are actually really hard to pull out

1 Like

Thx for that update. Always nice to see motors from the inside.
I definitely miss epoxy between the magnets.
They look like my APS 6384s where the epoxy is just used on the backside of the magnets to hold them in place. That didn’t last long for my motors.

3 Likes

Some epoxy at all is better than none though. I just disassembled some open can Maytech ones in my friends build looking for a broken sensor. Sure enough, zero epoxy and one sensor was broken off, likely from a rock getting in the can

2 Likes

I believe I’m going to run them unsensored as it seems like quite a pain looking at it. How will the customer react? not all so sure but better safe then sorry. I’m going to let him know hopefully he’s ok with unsensored

1 Like

HFI?

I haven’t researched enough but I might just do so. Not much time to do that as I have to return the board back before 5pm tomorrow

1 Like

HFI is worth a shot, set it up how it’s explained in this video

3 Likes

What happened to the stock motors?

Any pictures of the motors mounted on the hypers?

Thanks for your comment, we will make improvements

5 Likes

Sure thing! Please let me know if I can be more clear in any of my suggestions.

1 Like

Just realized MakerX motors are/were a thing. Anyone else ever run them (or even purchase)?

You must be slow😁

@KaramQ bought a pair a year back, was a mixed bag. May have improved by now.

2 Likes

anyone here run the N6354’s? - without battle-hardening they appear to be rebrands of Flipsky’s OLD line - before they started producing their own in-house.

I think @rosco used these on his build

1 Like

Yes I think so. They look the same.
Haven’t opened mine but assume not battle hardened

1 Like